Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine Grounding Kit, worth it? or Mostly Cosmetic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Z You Later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derekinthez
Dude, I've had them. Still have one on my 94tt with all its extra gadgets. Total waste of money !
Total waste of space.
well if you consider smoother electronic flow for aftermarket electronics as well as the smoother idling that i noticed a waste of time then i don't know what to say to you...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and you determined the results how?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 AM
leo_giovani619

Originally Posted by ImportPartsPro
It's great for old cars with corroded existing grounds. On newer cars it's not really worth it. If you want you could just a couple of your own from the timing cover (lots of sensors grounded there) to the chassis. Prolly won't notice any gains though.
Coming from your perspective, is a grounding kit better than doing the big 3 upgrade if you got car audio? Thsnks
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

The guy that sells them, around my place (get ready with the grains of salt) claims that they make a noticeable difference on auto's and virtually nothing on standards.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
derekinthez

Default Grounding Kit

Originally Posted by tSaroya
Sorry to bring up an old thread but would you notice any significant difference when installing this if you have 5at and stock BOSE stereo unit in your car? Would the stereo be usuing more power and be working to a fuller potential and do the 5at trannys actually have crisper/smoother shifts with these installed? Thinking about making my own but just wondering if its really worth it.
No. Messy, waste of money and time, Imho.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Eno

I like mine and it did FEEL like it tightened up some lag in my 1-2 shift after the trans was built... It certainly never hurt anything so if there was any doubt I would do it. I'm not sure if it is measurable or not- maybe just placebo.

I have heard the same as most- questionable gains on the MT platform.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM
hyuk28719

cosmetic
thread/
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Eno

Awesome contribution. Someone tried that in march of last year.

And we are still here.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way that there is a 2011 thread about grounding kits that gets bumped in 2012. This belongs in 1998. The effing kit is to make the bay look flashy, nothing more. It does nothing. nothing.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the only way these kits can make a difference is if they lower the resistance between points.

Here is the only proof i've ever seen, and even these guys say that it will vary depending on how good your current grounds are.

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info....ducts_id=25417
Old 06-30-2012, 02:54 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
It was my last resort to my crank angle sensor issue causing tach to jump around. Grounding kit fixed it almost completely.
this makes sense. Reduces resistance would could cause interference in a signal.

from the other side of the fence though reduced resistance would have no effect on how much power the combustion of an engine produces. Inside the chamber a spark is a spark is a spark. Once the spark is above the threshold to create combustion it's done with its job. So if you had inadequate spark causing it to misfire then it might help it fire but if it's firing then it won't increase the power produced by a fire. A strong spark won't magically produce more energy from the same fuel charge.

Originally Posted by Z You Later
don't listen to everyone who says they are a waste of money since majority never installed them...

I have them installed for over a year now and it did smooth out my idle a bit, start up is quicker than normal, and it helped out the smoothness in delivery to my electronics...power wise, yes you will not see any gains but electronically with subwoofers or any other aftermarket electronics, it does help.

if you never have installed them, don't "chime in" with a useless post
Or the fact that you reset the ecu when you unhooked your battery to install the grounding kit you reset the ecu that might have needed a reset. When i was having idling issues a throttle body reset through an ecu reset fixed my issue. Didn't add a grounding kit to do it...just reset the ecu which is exactly what happens when people unhook the battery to install this.

now, for auto trans, people have mentioned that the grounds for the transmission are poor therefore the resistance would be high. If you lower the resistance the signal from the TCU would travel faster to the valve bodies therefore reducing lag between the signal and the action. Makes perfect sense.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 AM
derekinthez

People still trying to justify their purchases, smh! If there were any proof, you'd have it by now!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have your read this thread?

They help restore, or in some cases, give good grounding, they will never give you more power, but *can* help restore a nice stable electrical system.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 AM
binder

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Have your read this thread?

They help restore, or in some cases, give good grounding, they will never give you more power, but *can* help restore a nice stable electrical system.
I assume he's referring to the people who are still saying they can "feel" the power difference not the ones talking about the implications of stereo or shifting. Human perception of power increase isn't even accurate until after around a 10% increase in power. So even if we found an increase in power on the dyno it would have to be high to feel it on the street. When you can get a 5% error rate on a dyno anything below that isn't significant enough to say there is a positive correlation with the grounding kits. Plus it just doesn't make physical sense. Like i said, once threshold is made to provide an ignition of the fuel in the combustion chamber the electrical system is done with it's work. Power comes from the energy in the fuel, not the energy in the spark.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know why, but there was a perceptible increase in shifting speed when I installed Gord's grounding wires. It may have to do with noise on the CAN bus - not sure... I don't have all the wires attached from the original grounding set anymore, but I do make sure to connect the trans casing to the negative lead of the battery and from there to the ECU mounting bolt.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
binder

Originally Posted by rcdash
I don't know why, but there was a perceptible increase in shifting speed when I installed Gord's grounding wires. It may have to do with noise on the CAN bus - not sure... I don't have all the wires attached from the original grounding set anymore, but I do make sure to connect the trans casing to the negative lead of the battery and from there to the ECU mounting bolt.
decreased resistance means faster transmission time from the TCU to the valve bodies.