Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rebuilding my 350Z... I need all the help I can get.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
nenismo350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding my 350Z... I need all the help I can get.

Hello, first let me introduce my self. I AM from Mexico, so please excuse my english, mainly my written english, I hope all you understand what I am trying to say. And let me thank all your help and opinions in advance.
I have a 2003 350Z in very bad conditions to be rebuild. I bought it because a friend of mine has a 2006 350Z modified for proffesional racing, thus almost everything that is stock (seats, consoles, headlights, bumpers, etc) was removed and replaced with lighter parts. And also most parts from the rev-up engine, as well as the ECM. Basically the whole car, so my plan is to rebuild the 2003 and turn it into a 2006 with the rev-up engine.
I have a lot of questions and I hope you could help me out with as much as you can.
First, can I build a rev-up engine keeping my cars long block (I understand it is where the engines serial number is engraved, right?). Assuming I have all the parts necessary, of course.
Apart from the engine issue, and assuming everything goles right, what would be the best mods in a budget. I was thinking on getting stillen headers, high flow cats and underdriven pulleys. We are talking about 1,400 dls, after that I would go for the catback, another 1,000-1,200 maybe. But that's easier to install and the engine doesn't has to be removed. So I am focusing on the mods easily done with the engine being removed.
(1st part)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
nenismo350Z

Default Need all the help I can get...

I have to say I want to stay NA, I guess I will be spendig arround 3,000 dls in engine mods. I know going FI is a lot more expensive and it's not just buying a turbo kit or SC kit, so I'll stick with NA.
Ok, the next issue would be the clutch. I know there are may threads about this issue, but I would first ask about the basics. I read the stock clutch comes with a double mass flywheel. So what are the best options if I'm considering sticking with the DMFW??? Can I get a more agressive pressure plate and disc kit??? I was watching an LUK stage 2 cerametalic disc and it said it was 250 mm diameter, would it fit with the stock flywheel??? Sorry if my questions are stupid and maybe I'm saying something absurd.
And I have read that with a DMFW I have to use unsprung discs, right??? Or should I go and change the whole cluthc??? I'll use the car about 3 to 4 days a week, so I want a confortable ride.
The next mod I was thinking about was a suspension upgrade, also under a budget. I read about Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC coilover kit. I don't want to lower my suspension, roads in Mexico are not exactly very smooth. Now, if I install this coilover kit, what other mods have to be done??? Because I was reading about suspension mods and I ended up more confused. This coilover kit is $850 dls, I guess it's the best I can get for that money, am I right???
I have asked my friend his opinion about the mods but all the things he knows about are very expensive and maybe street unfriendly mods, so that's why I also ask all of you.
The rest of the mods I'm planing on doing to the car are mostly for the looks. Like changeing the color of the car, I saw the color in the 2009 GT-R specV, the ultimate black opal, if you also want to give your opinion about exterior mods I will thank every advise you can give.
Well, please tell me everything right, wrong, everything I'm missing... anything. And thanks to everyone...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM
GLRacing

Jeezuz.

Google it
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
nenismo350Z

Wow, great advice, thanks GLRacing... but in the future maybe you can give a real advise or simply don't say nothing at all.
I guess you have much better things to do besides criticize, so please feel free to don't loose your time reading my posts... but thanks again for your advise.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 AM
GLRacing

If you had googled this stuff, you would have your answers, but no, I'll be nice and do it for you:

1. You can install headers and cats without removal of the engine.

2. You can access the pulleys easier by removing bumper and radiator, once again engine removal not needed.

3. Flywheels should be replaced along with the clutch so that they fit perfectly because the flywheel will not seat good with good amounts of wear, which I'm sure it has. Use that chance to buy a lightweight flywheel. If you want to keep your stock flywheel, that defeats the purpose of buying the better clutch, because the DMFW is like 50lbs.

4. Clutch, Flywheel, and pressure plate go hand-in-hand, so upgrade them all, or upgrade none..

5. Stock 350 clutches are sprung, so no, it does not have to be unsprung.

6. If you want a semi comfortable ride, buy Tokiko Blue shocks with stock springs. Cheap and better than stock, especially if you have an 03.

7. With exterior mods, we can't help you there. There are many threads with pictures of mods people have done, so once again, use the search to find it. We can't tell you what mods you like and don't like, you have to figure that out yourself.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Calinismo350z

Originally Posted by nenismo350Z
I have to say I want to stay NA, I guess I will be spendig arround 3,000 dls in engine mods. I know going FI is a lot more expensive and it's not just buying a turbo kit or SC kit, so I'll stick with NA.
Ok, the next issue would be the clutch. I know there are may threads about this issue, but I would first ask about the basics. I read the stock clutch comes with a double mass flywheel. So what are the best options if I'm considering sticking with the DMFW??? Can I get a more agressive pressure plate and disc kit??? I was watching an LUK stage 2 cerametalic disc and it said it was 250 mm diameter, would it fit with the stock flywheel??? Sorry if my questions are stupid and maybe I'm saying something absurd.
And I have read that with a DMFW I have to use unsprung discs, right??? Or should I go and change the whole cluthc??? I'll use the car about 3 to 4 days a week, so I want a confortable ride.
The next mod I was thinking about was a suspension upgrade, also under a budget. I read about Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC coilover kit. I don't want to lower my suspension, roads in Mexico are not exactly very smooth. Now, if I install this coilover kit, what other mods have to be done??? Because I was reading about suspension mods and I ended up more confused. This coilover kit is $850 dls, I guess it's the best I can get for that money, am I right???
I have asked my friend his opinion about the mods but all the things he knows about are very expensive and maybe street unfriendly mods, so that's why I also ask all of you.
The rest of the mods I'm planing on doing to the car are mostly for the looks. Like changeing the color of the car, I saw the color in the 2009 GT-R specV, the ultimate black opal, if you also want to give your opinion about exterior mods I will thank every advise you can give.
Well, please tell me everything right, wrong, everything I'm missing... anything. And thanks to everyone...
mi mejor consejo es que busques aqui en los forums por partes usada muchos venden los exhaust oh headers te aseguro que los vas a comprar a mitad de precio con todo y el envio, yo e comprado muchas partes de aqui y nunca eh tenido problemas. De echo acabo de comprar una act flywheel y un spec stage 3 clutch por 500 con todo y envio estan casi nuevos. y si piensas ponerle mas de 4,000 dls en el carro mi mejor sugerencia es que contruyas el motor y dejes lo demas asi va a agarrar mas whp que si gastar todo ese dinero en basic mods.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

simon. ^
a toda madre.. o desmadre!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM
nenismo350Z

First, GLRacing thanks, and this time I mean it. Believe me I have google it but didn't found out an answer as direct and simple as yours. I know they are very basic things but I'm in med school, this is the first time I get my self involved in tuning a car. I used to have a Mini Cooper S and everything was a lot easier. So, thanks again.

Ahora, Calinismo350z, igualmente muchas gracias por tomarte el tiempo de responder. Respecto a lo del motor estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo, y desde luego que es mi prioridad. La duda que tengo es sobre el bloque del motor, aunque ambos son VQ35DE, en un post sobre cambiar el motor a rev-up decían que el bloque un poco mas grande. No creo que sea asi ya que por costos una armadora no hace dos bloques distintos para un mismo motor, segun tengo entendido las modificaciones son en las cabezas de valvulas. Pero bueno, el caso es que ya ordene tanto el "gasket rebuild-kit" y estoy por ordenar el kit de "rod bearings", esos desde luego que los compre nuevos.
Gracias por el consejo de buscar en el foro articulos usados, respecto a los headers pues ya los compre, y los catalizadores de alto flujo pues igual deben ser nuevos. Pero buscare un clutch-kit a ver que tal andan los precios. Y aprovechando podrias decirme que tanta diferencia se logra con cambiar del double mass flywheel a uno normal??? Si vale la pena el invertir en ello??? Y si le has hecho mas modificaciones a tu auto podrias decirme cuales son las que mas recomiendas???
Pues muchas gracias de antemano... saludos.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on your build sir. Post up pics...