Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender can be rebent? Frame or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Siqcology

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender can be rebent? Frame or no?

Got hit the other day and was wondering if this could be pulled or bent back.
Good news.
My suspension is fine untouched besides the upper control arm is bent and my car rides to the right so I have to counter steer. My frame is not bent being informed by a couple people.
Replaced fender. But bolt pattern doesn't line up besides a couple bolts had to bend the new fender a tiny bit.
Is there a way I can rebend this at all?
Can provide more info if asked
Attached Thumbnails Fender can be rebent? Frame or no?-image.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

That car is toast. That part of the frame is meant to deform in a crash, to absorb energy, and it will never be as strong as it once was, even if you could pull it back into shape.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Well that one picture doesn’t tell the whole story, but it looks like that wrinkled upper fender support could be replaced with one from an auto wrecker. It is attached with reasonably accessible spot-welds, so maybe that’s feasible. You need to have a frame shop look this over and give an estimate of what it will take to pull tweak everything straight and in alignment after replacement. Depending on your budget frame shops can perform miracles.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
That car is toast. That part of the frame is meant to deform in a crash, to absorb energy, and it will never be as strong as it once was, even if you could pull it back into shape.
Agreed- the LF frame rail prevented more shock being transmitted back to the cabin. Frame shops can work miracles, but the reputable ones are going to recommend that section be cut out and replaced.

What happened to cause this damage?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

That's a ton of pulling, that car will never be close to the same
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
That's a ton of pulling, that car will never be close to the same
Originally Posted by dcains
agree
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM
db0956

I have 37 years full-time as certified autobody technician. If lower frame rail is simply bent, it can be repaired. If it is KINKED, it should be replaced or else splice-in a new section. If a butcher is fixing your car, you should be afraid. If a reputable frame/body shop is doing the work, it's not a big deal. Frame repair has a bad rap due to hash artist butchers and people who do not know what they are talking about. Replacing an upper rail is not a big deal either, same rules apply. Get your advice from a professional instead of forums. For some reason, I cannot open your picture.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 PM
db0956

All manufactures have recommended guidelines for rail replacement or splicing at factory-recommended locations. Find a reputable frame shop with a quality measuring system, and pay for a set-up and measure, lower and upper body, with a printout. Get some professional advice with documentation and ignore most of what you read. I have rebuilt many totals, and straightened hundreds of frames in my career. Your car is NOT toast, even though I cannot see the picture. Upper rail/apron/strut tower replacement is not a major issue. Fender does NOT bolt to lower main frame rail, which is a much more complicated job to replace, but still can be done safely by following certain guidelines.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:26 PM
db0956

NOW I can see your pic. You need a complete NEW OEM upper rail and strut tower assembly, along with any bent suspension components. Be sure to check your lower ball joint measurement to verify proper and even wheelbase lengths from right to left. They should be identical. You can also buy this rail section from a salvage, but it requires so much spot well drilling to get it apart that you are much better going new. I do this stuff on a regular basis, and I promise you that your car is not toast. This is a routine repair that any competent technician can do, and although it cannot be done cheap, it is not horribly expensive. Don't skimp trying to save a few bucks. Do it RIGHT!