Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 headlights use '05 HID harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default '06 headlights use '05 HID harness?

So I'm finally doing the full conversion of my HID '04 (I did the conversion from '04 base model to '05 HID) now to 06 Bi-Xenon. Woohooo....sort of...

If I buy 06 housings without the harness....can I use my 04 harness that I converted? Well...really my harness is an '05 HID harness that I converted..but you get the idea if you're familiar with the whole headlight hacknology.

I was just reading that the high beams on the 06 is a solenoid activated lever whereas the 05 HID's high beams are a separate bulb of course....so....does the connection in the harness of the 05 HID harness just mate up to the 06 housing, or do I have to buy an 06 harness and then convert that?

So hoping there's an easy answer to this...all help appreciated,

Saved

P.S. - Anybody know of a deal on D2S bulbs by the way? I know I need to get a good one, Phillips, Osram, etc...but taking the long shot while I'm typing to ask if anyone has a deal source or has an extra pair they want to sell?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:19 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I doubt it.

You can call Courtesy Nissan in TX, 972.231.2600 and ask. They are quite helpful.
Or
courtesyparts.com, search under wiring. gl
Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
So I'm finally doing the full conversion of my HID '04 (I did the conversion from '04 base model to '05 HID) now to 06 Bi-Xenon. Woohooo....sort of...

If I buy 06 housings without the harness....can I use my 04 harness that I converted? Well...really my harness is an '05 HID harness that I converted..but you get the idea if you're familiar with the whole headlight hacknology.

I was just reading that the high beams on the 06 is a solenoid activated lever whereas the 05 HID's high beams are a separate bulb of course....so....does the connection in the harness of the 05 HID harness just mate up to the 06 housing, or do I have to buy an 06 harness and then convert that?

So hoping there's an easy answer to this...all help appreciated,

Saved

P.S. - Anybody know of a deal on D2S bulbs by the way? I know I need to get a good one, Phillips, Osram, etc...but taking the long shot while I'm typing to ask if anyone has a deal source or has an extra pair they want to sell?
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/n...-hid-bulbs-515
Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks Travlee , forgot about Diode Dynamics.

Amazon has Phillips bulbs for $13 more....think it's worth the extra 13? Will I see a difference? (not that $13 is a lot of money...asking more for the knowledge than the price)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM
savedbygrace

thanks jhc, not a bad idea, I've heard people who've done the conversion say "yes" and others that have done the conversion say "no"...lol...

Gotta love the internet....
The following users liked this post:
jhc (07-25-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't trust any of the generic China bulbs as I've had a couple go out, only Philips or top quality brands last. Be careful of the bulbs with fake Philips logo.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:57 AM
savedbygrace

Thx Sparco, how do I spot the fake logo? I ordered the Phillips from an Amazon vendor.

Saved
Old 07-16-2015, 08:38 AM
mr. sparco

Last edited by mr. sparco; 07-16-2015 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SR71 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

^ Good info, marked for later use.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 PM
savedbygrace

Sparco...you are awesome man...

thanks for that, bulbs arrive today, I'll check em out.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Dylanspired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did the conversion from my 04 HID to the 06 (My 2004 is the Enthusiast Roadster). the 06 lights came with only the HID bulb & no harness.

These were the problems I had while using the 04 harness:

Lost High beams due to the 06 being a bi-xenon high beam, the 04 harness was not plug in play for the high beam connection.

Blinker socket was too small on the 04 harness, the 06 seems to be a larger size and you will need some tape to hold the blinker in properly w/out falling out.

The DRL bulb (upper one) found in the 04 will have no place in the 06.

If you're okay with soldering / connecting / cutting the wires to work for your High beams and DRL then its no biggie, which I did, but that blinker being to small still irks me today.

It would have been so much easier to find the harness but I wasn't able to so 04 it was! I hope you have an easier experience than I did

Last edited by Dylanspired; 07-21-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Missing car model
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM
mr. sparco

You should not lose high beams if wired up correctly or have funky blinkers. You can make a jumper harness out of a power supply cable from a computer to avoid soldering. Take off the harness cover on opposite ends to plug the pins into the car and headlight side harness. I did my conversion back in 2006 and everything functions as should.
The following 2 users liked this post by mr. sparco:
jhc (07-25-2015), SR71 (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Dylanspired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco

You should not lose high beams if wired up correctly or have funky blinkers. You can make a jumper harness out of a power supply cable from a computer to avoid soldering. Take off the harness cover on opposite ends to plug the pins into the car and headlight side harness. I did my conversion back in 2006 and everything functions as should.
Props on the computer plug idea, however the lights I received from a coworker had larger blinker socket holes which has nothing to do with wiring correctly. Its possible I got a form of aftermarket 06 headlights made to look like OEM, but everything looks right to me. It seems that everyone has a different story on the conversions lol. The only real re-wiring that i had to do when putting an 04 harness into an 06 headlight was wiring in the +/- of the high beams (green/black) & the DRL (mine were painted over so I chose not to) of course, everything else including the actual "Headlight-to-car" plug was just fine
Old 07-24-2015, 03:53 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks you guys for the awesome added info.

And GREAT tip on the computer power cord adaptor , I have some in a closet or drawer or somewhere..I'll find em...and try to make use of the, the wiring and soldering doesn't put me off as long as I get the correct wiring pattern to follow...the first time I did it not all the wires looked the same on each end of the adaptors...the six pin adaptor wires and the same ones in the eight pin adaptor were not all matching....but I got through it.

I'll post back once I'm up and running and share any helpful tips, thanks again sincerely!

Saved
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by mr. sparco

How do you "take off the harness covers" of the 6pin and 8pin harness? I've pulled out the orange little "sleeve" that's tucked into the grey harness plug, but I can't get the grey harness cover (plug) off the wires, and I can't pull the wires out of the grey harness cover (plug)...what's the secret?

Sorry if I'm being dense , just not happening as smoothly for me over here for some reason. IQ could be that reason.

Saved
Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylanspired
Props on the computer plug idea, however the lights I received from a coworker had larger blinker socket holes which has nothing to do with wiring correctly. Its possible I got a form of aftermarket 06 headlights made to look like OEM, but everything looks right to me. It seems that everyone has a different story on the conversions lol. The only real re-wiring that i had to do when putting an 04 harness into an 06 headlight was wiring in the +/- of the high beams (green/black) & the DRL (mine were painted over so I chose not to) of course, everything else including the actual "Headlight-to-car" plug was just fine
Nah man your info is spot on.

People just don't always read thoroughly when these questions pop up. The more common questions is "how do i connect my new 8 pin headlights to my 03-05 6pin car". This problem just requires a swapping connectors and making the appropriate connections since the new headlights have the correct harness. This is what MrSparco's solution is actually for.

What the OP and you are talking about (using an 03-05 harness in an 06-08 housing) is a completely different problem.

As you've mentioned the blinkers are a different bulb/socket size (the socket is part of the harness). You can source the correct sockets and replace the ones on your harness to correct that.

Also the 06-08 use a solenoid to activate hi beams rather than a separate bulb. The work around for this is to take the wire that powers the hi beam and use it to power the solenoid instead.

Finally to power the side LED lights you can just splice into the parking lights. (either the one that lights the amber strip or the other small bulb to the side of the low beam bulb).

So yea, it's quite a bit of work to get everything working. It might be easier just to make a new harness since at this point you're really only using the connector to the ballast.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:36 PM
mr. sparco

Been too long (8-9 years ago) for me to recall. You can just find female pins like rc cars use to plug into each connector on the harness. You will have to seal it with silicone.