Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Rolling- Rear 1/4 RUSTING OUT over the years... Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy Fender Rolling- Rear 1/4 RUSTING OUT over the years... Anyone else?

I haven't even thought to post this since it started about a year ago with a bubble in the paint, but my fender on the passenger side has a literal HOLE and surface rust around it right at the lip area.

Looks horrible and probably extremely difficult to fix without cutting a rear 1/4 panel section out of a donor car. I had the rolling done in 2010 when the car was painted. Had I known this was a potential issue, I'd have done a spray in bed liner for trucks in the wheelwells or at the very least, rattle can undercoating.

I will get pics up tomorrow, but has anyone else had this happen?

Throwback video:

Last edited by phreaktor; 11-24-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This is starting to come to light on quite a few 350Z's now they are getting on in age. It all starts out when owners don't wash the inside lip when washing their cars and road crud builds up to the point where there doesn't feel like there is an inside lip and when wet it takes an absolute age to dry thus causing damp and corrosion over time. If you run your fingers along the inside of the lip you can feel the build up of road crud, pull it out with your fingers and you'll be surprised just how much can be hidden up there. Just keep them clean and undercoated and you'll have no problems.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:21 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

rolled mine and started to rust within matter of a week or so caught it right then and addressed it before becoming an issue. live on a small island so always checking when I wash the car.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
seekanddestroy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phreak!!! Whats up brother? I was logging in for the first time in a long time and wondered if I would see anyone I recognized and there you are!

I rolled my fenders around the same time you did but haven't had any problems. I feel really lucky as I did everything myself.

Anyway, nice to see you around here and I'm stoked you still have your Z!

Cheers,

Raphael
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

it also has to do with how you roll them

a really light roll from say 10 - 2 with heat you will be fine, just to thin the inner a bit

a really aggressive roll making the inner lip FLAT completely from say 9 - 3 , and you will get cracked paint
Old 02-11-2017, 02:13 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Bump~

I'm another victim of this rust on the passenger side. The small area that is bubbling is about 1/2'' by 1''. Got a quote of about 1k to weld in new metal and paint.

From what I'v read is that the rust will come back in a few years even after new metal is welded in. Currently deciding whether to get it repaired or buy SEibon overlays and get the QP's hacked up. I rather get it repaired if the repair would last. I'v seen a few post with others having this issue but never posted back with results. Anyone else had this issue 'repaired'?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

No rust problem in Vegas and I undercoated the lip after it was rolled.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I repaired rust on the rear fender lip, passenger and driver side. I have a 2003 350z, and the repair was done about 3 years ago. So far it has not come back. The metal was cut and a new piece welded in place, shaped and the fender painted. The wheel well liner and fender had separated slightly at the top of the fender lip. I think the separation happened when the car was shipped from Japan. The car is usually cranked hard so it sits as low as possible on the suspension during shipping. That stresses the body (no frame) and causes the fender lip to “pop.”
Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I repaired rust on the rear fender lip, passenger and driver side. I have a 2003 350z, and the repair was done about 3 years ago. So far it has not come back. The metal was cut and a new piece welded in place, shaped and the fender painted. The wheel well liner and fender had separated slightly at the top of the fender lip. I think the separation happened when the car was shipped from Japan. The car is usually cranked hard so it sits as low as possible on the suspension during shipping. That stresses the body (no frame) and causes the fender lip to “pop.”
I saw multiple post from you in the past about your rust issues but nothing about it getting resolved, happy to hear the repair is holding up!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Matt, Thanks for noticing and the mention. The fender repair is working with no reoccurrence.

The new problem... My driver door is rusting immediately below the handle. It's probably related to the key insert (the lock). I'm going to have this fixed, but this time I'll take pics and post to a thread.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:11 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Safe amount of roll

Moved

Last edited by carbuffguy; 02-17-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: moved post