Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do fender emblems come apart?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do fender emblems come apart?

Don't want to destroy my emblems finding out. Does the black piece around the Z and inside the metallic ring pop out? Thinking of having the emblem color matched to the car, which requires two different colors. If the black part of the emblem pops out, it will be a lot easier.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

it may, but if yours is a 35 and has the bronze ring.... i would leave it alone.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Sebastian777

Ok, so I bought some aftermarket replicas of the fender emblem and tried to two-tone paint them. Unfortunately couldn't get them to turn out as well as I want. The masking off caused several defects and bleed through. For now, I have painted them straight black, but I haven't given up yet. I'm hoping some aftermarket emblem exists where the black part around the Z is removable. I've seen the ones that light up and was thinking the black lens over the light would be removeable and I could paint the sections I want black and yellow separately. The problem is they are much deeper than the factory ones and I would rather not have to cut a big hole in my fender just to install them.

Any ideas?

Light up emblems.
http://www.thenismoshop.com/Nissan-F...70Z_p_115.html

Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Mingus02

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't give up on the set you have, just use thinner + fine grit sand paper to remove the paint you put on. Lacquer stripper can be used, but be aware it can melt plastic so be sure to wash it off right after using. (I'm assuming you used lacquer spray paint)

Instead of masking off the outer ring and Z, I'd suggest using a technique called a reverse wash. Basically, after primer you paint the whole piece black with lacquer paint, let it dry, and then paint the entire piece with yellow enamel paint. After that drys you go back with enamel thinner (zippo lighter fluid) and using a cotton swab you can remove the yellow paint from the Z and the ring while not damaging the black paint underneath. Here's a more in-depth guide.

You may also want to look up some spray paint vids on youtube, since the texture on the emblem looks like you may be holding the can too far away or moving back and forth too fast.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Sebastian777

I'll look into that. I should mention it was paint guy doing the actual work. What we tried was painting the whole part yellow, then taping off what was to stay yellow, and then painted black.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Sebastian777

Finally found an easy solution. These inserts. I'll paint them yellow and just stick them on.
They are carbon fiber inserts.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian777
Finally found an easy solution. These inserts. I'll paint them yellow and just stick them on.
They are carbon fiber inserts.

Post pics installed also looking to change up sides
Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Sebastian777

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Post pics installed also looking to change up sides
Will do. Getting car painted, hopefully, next week. Will have him paint these yellow to color match the car.