Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
syndacit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Installation

So I've decided to go FI, and get the vortech SC. I am going to do the installation myself. But I wondering were some of the supplies can be found, if I have to order some or if I can go to an auto store.

I am getting a whole set of tools from snap-on because UTi students get around 50% discount.

Tools I'm inquiring about is the ones like the Springlock 5/16" Fuel Fitting disconnect tool.

If anyone has done this installation by them self , I wish to know where some of the tools were acquired.

Also, for the installation I would just need a floor jack and 2 jack stands I presume to be able to get to the oil pan and remove it to drill the hole. (Will that be safe enough? or should I also put a tire underneath for safety)

This will be my first major installation to my car. I did my popcharger myself but that was cake. I'm also going to be buying HKS True Dual exhaust, and install that while I'm working on the vortech.

Oh and I am going to be taking pictures of the installation process :P to be posted up. I haven't seen any installation pictures, thought it might be cool, even though it seems easy enough.

Tips comments.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
drumminguy81

you can get the fuel disconnect tool at any auto store like autozone.. pretty cheap and easy to find.. good luck with the install its pretty straight forward not too hard to do..
Old 03-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think the vortech is the easiest... just take your time and dont rush things
Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
syndacit

okay, so Autozone / Sears should pretty much have any tools I might need then.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing the install myself as well. So far all I was able to get done was the wiring install, but this included UTEC, gauges, wideband sensor, etc. Everything is taking twice as long as I thought, and I haven't even started tearing the engine bay apart. Maybe it's because it's like 30 degrees right now - not much fun.

I actually picked up an extra set of jack stands so I could get the entire car up in the air. That way I can roll around on the creeper and it will make my high-flow cat install much easier. If you have quality jack stands there's nothing to worry about.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
frankie945

I installed a procharger myself, just take your time and double check everything.My install took me around 12 hr off and on. It's better to install yourself that way you know how everything works and know the maintance.Good luck with the install
Old 03-29-2008, 06:00 PM
syndacit

I plan on getting the installation done in 1 day. Starting around 6-7 in the morning. This will probably happen in about 2 and 1/2 weeks. I'm excited haha. I would start now but I have to orginize my budget aaarg.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by syndacit
I plan on getting the installation done in 1 day.
I was thinking of doing the same thing. But I got the time, so I'm going pretty slow. I'm on day 3 (well, one night and almost two full days) and I'm finally done with all of the electrical - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IfMOtRIxo

Next weekend I'm going to get the fuel pump/basket done and fuel injectors installed. Then the dreaded drilling of the upper oil pan, high-flow cat install, installing my lightweight pulleys, oil sandwich plate, etc. etc. etc. Man, this will not end
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM
syndacit

ya I kinda want to knock it out in 1 day because I would need it back for school. I'm on a 3 week break from UTI.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1 day will be very ambitious if you have never done it before. i guess it all depends on what you are doing. if only strictly the full kit with no gauges, injectors, etc, then ya 1 day is easy. bolting the kit on takes no time at all. making all the pipes line up is kinda a PITA. If you are doing gauges, expect at least 1/2 a day just to do that.

I had a bunch of unexpected problems. Started around thanksgiving and just got my final tune a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
tylerxfire

old thread but theres some vortech guys here who did their installs, i am on day 2 tomorrow, basically day one was getting my car on a flat bed to my buddies garage and then taking things off, and finished up doing the oil pan and sealed it back up and had to stop for the day, more to come tomorrow..
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
old thread but theres some vortech guys here who did their installs, i am on day 2 tomorrow, basically day one was getting my car on a flat bed to my buddies garage and then taking things off, and finished up doing the oil pan and sealed it back up and had to stop for the day, more to come tomorrow..
?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
?
figured instead of starting a new thread there was already some good guys here to chime in if i have any problems and help me out..
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
JonnyC

figured instead of starting a new thread there was already some good guys here to chime in if i have any problems and help me out..
Yup, we'll be here to help
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Car vs. Driver

Indeed ... I'll try to be as responsive as I can to your PM's. Have fun tomorrow
Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Gotcha, how's everything work out today? I will be install myself also.
But i haven't even get my vortech yet...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
tylerxfire

thanks guys, no questions today, it really is pretty straight forward....i am waiting on my stock maf housing which should be here tomorrow by 3 so i stopped once i got to there on that part, then today skipped ahead and did the fmu and inline pump and all that good stuff, tomorrow once i get that housing ill keep going and get the blower and everything mounted in and continue...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^ hey !! wher eis pic?! lol
Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
tylerxfire

Default couple pics

heres a few i had on my phone from when i got the car into mu buddies garage and started to take things apart...ill get some more pics of the actual work done tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails Vortech Installation-vortech-install-and-others-snowboarding-016.jpg   Vortech Installation-vortech-install-and-others-snowboarding-017.jpg   Vortech Installation-taking-car-apart.jpg   Vortech Installation-taking-car-apart-drain-oil.jpg  

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-18-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: pics
Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you went with the Bud Light option - I think that is good for at least 10whp on the butt dyno .

Looks good and best of luck Tyler, I know it has been a long road for you to get here.

Quick Reply: Vortech Installation