Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just built bottom end ok for 450rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 AM
Jacob350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just built bottom end ok for 450rwhp?

Hey guys I need a little help on what you all think may be the best option to go with. I have searched the forums for this and have recieved many different inputs but I have my long block out the car ready to be fixed but I am torn on what I should have done.

Here is my setup:

2006 350z 23,000 miles on motor.
APS twin turbo kit running around 6-8 psi.
Stock block but I think I blew a head gasket, car will run fine for 10-15 minutes then start to volcano out of the reservior tank. Replaced the coolant and the thermostat and still have the same issue.

I have pulled the motor out and was planning to:
A- Buy a built bottom end, get the heads worked, new 3 layer gaskets, and arp head studs.

or

B- Buy an already built long block

I would of course save money on just doing the bottom end but will I have an issue running 450-500 rwhp if I up the boost? or should I just go ahead and do a long block?

Anyone running long blocks or bottom ends from like IPP or GTM? Just want to know the quality and if they are good for the price.

Let me know some input so I can figure out what would be best for me and to make sure I can stay safe at those gains.

thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For that power level you will be fine with a built bottom end. The Rods are the weakest point. The stock VQ heads flow pretty decently believe it or not.

If I were to do the VQ platform over again- Id do short block, head studs/gasket and enjoy the 500hp. 500rwhp is a sweet spot for the Z ( street )

Just be sure to get a really good tune!
The following users liked this post:
Jacob350z (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 AM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob350z
Hey guys I need a little help on what you all think may be the best option to go with. I have searched the forums for this and have recieved many different inputs but I have my long block out the car ready to be fixed but I am torn on what I should have done.

Here is my setup:

2006 350z 23,000 miles on motor.
APS twin turbo kit running around 6-8 psi.
Stock block but I think I blew a head gasket, car will run fine for 10-15 minutes then start to volcano out of the reservior tank. Replaced the coolant and the thermostat and still have the same issue.

I have pulled the motor out and was planning to:
A- Buy a built bottom end, get the heads worked, new 3 layer gaskets, and arp head studs.

or

B- Buy an already built long block

I would of course save money on just doing the bottom end but will I have an issue running 450-500 rwhp if I up the boost? or should I just go ahead and do a long block?

Anyone running long blocks or bottom ends from like IPP or GTM? Just want to know the quality and if they are good for the price.

Let me know some input so I can figure out what would be best for me and to make sure I can stay safe at those gains.

thanks
Do you have other symptoms besides that...overheating or milky oil or just coolant spilling all over?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

You cand push 600whp on a built short block, so do what ever you want long block will cost more but in the end less headaches.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:49 AM
Jacob350z

Originally Posted by wisniaPl
Do you have other symptoms besides that...overheating or milky oil or just coolant spilling all over?
No other symptoms, bled the system 3 times and even had car at incline while doing the coolant. Replaced the termostat and after 15 minutes the coolant would erupt out of the reservoir tank and you could here it boiling over inside.

If you drive the car the needle never pegs out at the top to indicate the engine temp overheats but it does get higher then normal and then once you turn the car off all hell breaks loose.

I planned on doing the bottom end and heads anyway thats why I pulled the long block but I am hoping this solves the problem with the overheating.

Do you think it could be something different?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Jacob350z

Originally Posted by Conway_160
You cand push 600whp on a built short block, so do what ever you want long block will cost more but in the end less headaches.
I don't plan on going over 500 rwhp range. Currently I am nearly at 400rwhp but I would like to up the boost just a tad and get a new tune.

if a short block is all I need then that will probably be what i go with.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 PM
wisniaPl

No other symptoms, bled the system 3 times and even had car at incline while doing the coolant. Replaced the termostat and after 15 minutes the coolant would erupt out of the reservoir tank and you could here it boiling over inside.

If you drive the car the needle never pegs out at the top to indicate the engine temp overheats but it does get higher then normal and then once you turn the car off all hell breaks loose.

I planned on doing the bottom end and heads anyway thats why I pulled the long block but I am hoping this solves the problem with the overheating.

Do you think it could be something different?
It might not be a Hg unles its tiny leak...usually oil get smilky because mixes with coolant and you get white sweets smelling fumes from tail pipe....... If you gona built it anyway let us know if hg was damaged im interested if you can find the root of the problem
Old 07-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Jacob350z

It might not be a Hg unles its tiny leak...usually oil get smilky because mixes with coolant and you get white sweets smelling fumes from tail pipe....... If you gona built it anyway let us know if hg was damaged im interested if you can find the root of the problem
It actually had a sweet smell coming from the exhaust. I was wondering why it smelled that way.

I honestly think it has to be the head gasket because almost everything has been looked at. I run a Nissan service and parts department so I honestly don't think my guys would have burped the system incorrect or installed the thermostat wrong. I guess I'll find out soon but I was planning on doing work to the motor anyway.

I didn't notice much with the oil when it was drained.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Headgaskets ... combustion is leaking into the coolant passages and sitting behind your thermostat and not allowing the bimetallic filament to open and close.

look for white creamy oil under the oil cap

Last edited by bealljk; 08-01-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

/\/\ hadn't heard about combustion gasses keeping thermostat from opening. Makes sense.

Surely the tech tested the coolant before yanking out the engine.....
Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

That smell is Anti-Freeze......

It actually had a sweet smell coming from the exhaust. I was wondering why it smelled that way.

I honestly think it has to be the head gasket because almost everything has been looked at. I run a Nissan service and parts department so I honestly don't think my guys would have burped the system incorrect or installed the thermostat wrong. I guess I'll find out soon but I was planning on doing work to the motor anyway.

I didn't notice much with the oil when it was drained.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 AM
Jacob350z

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
That smell is Anti-Freeze......
I know it has a sweet smell, however I did not realize it would smell sweet out the exhaust.

Makes sense now
Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Recommend using L19 head studs and Dynosty Headgasket (cheaper than HKS but similar design).
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Recommend using L19 head studs and Dynosty Headgasket (cheaper than HKS but similar design).
YES! YES! YES! Ban ARP2000 Sales!

Although, I don't think Dynosty makes head gaskets anymore, I checked a few weeks ago and ended up just ordering HKS gaskets...
The following users liked this post:
WTFMike (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
YES! YES! YES! Ban ARP2000 Sales!

Although, I don't think Dynosty makes head gaskets anymore, I checked a few weeks ago and ended up just ordering HKS gaskets...
Hear, hear!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM
Jacob350z

Size injectors should I run to get around 500? Currently on 440cc
Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Size injectors should I run to get around 500? Currently on 440cc
For a turbo, 440's will max at about 500, but you don't want to push your injectors over 85% so look for some used stock GTR injectors 570CC
Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

the best headgaskets in the world won't save your heads from a bad tune...
Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 PM
wisniaPl

Red face

Originally Posted by bealljk
Headgaskets ... combustion is leaking into the coolant passages and sitting behind your thermostat and not allowing the bimetallic filament.

look for white creamy oil under the oil cap
Does he have any of those symptoms?? He said no milky oil or anything beside sweet smell..
Are you actually losing coolant?
He is gona build it anyway but I would like to find the root of problem so you have worry free build
How do you test coolant for combustion gases?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Jacob350z

Does he have any of those symptoms?? He said no milky oil or anything beside sweet smell..
Are you actually losing coolant?
He is gona build it anyway but I would like to find the root of problem so you have worry free build
How do you test coolant for combustion gases?
We have a test kit here at the shop that will test if there are combustion gases in the coolant.

I was losing coolant and I am almost positive I have a blown head gasket, but again motor was coming out anyway for a small build I just wanted to see what would be a better option for 500rwhp.

and bealljk I will be getting another tune once the motor and all is put back in, so thats not a worry.

Quick Reply: Just built bottom end ok for 450rwhp?