Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

ART Pipes Installed - Review Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ART Pipes Installed - Review Thread

Intro

If you're a frequent visitor of this section you are well aware of Motordyne's all new ART Pipes. Tony's own tests show amazing torque increases in low-end, and gains nearing 10WHP across the entire power band. The release of this product caught me at the right time, as I've been itching for a bit more power and so I wasted little time on grabbing myself a pair. Now, below was my list of mods:

Borla True Dual
Magnaflow X-Pipe
Ultimate Racing HFC
MotorDyne 5/16 Iso Thermal
K&N Drop In
UpRev Osiris Tune

With all of that, my car felt superb. It was more than quick enough, so it was a surprise for me to see such gains from something that looked like a test pipe with a resonator attached to it. But I know Tony's not a liar and quickly solidified that belief when I saw some of the dynos posted by G35 driver Silencer_0 with a 5AT just like mine and with virtually the same list of mods.

Powaaaaaah

So how does it feel? Well, it's definitely what I was hoping for it to be. The low-end torque can be felt when just puttering about as the car accelerates a lot better as early as 1800RPM to 2500RPM. So the gains in torque are not just had when WOT, as someone suggested, but they are always present for you to tap into at a moment's notice.

Naturally, because of the increased torque, passing power is more prevalent in my AT's 5th gear, which I always find to be a very crucial aspect of judging increase in performance. I gauge power increase if my pulls quicker in top-gear from a highway speed of 60 or 70, and with the ART Pipes it does.

But let's talk about how it feels when you're ripping it wide-open throttle. Obviously, off the line the car feels menacing because of all the torque. Normally, our VQ35DE feels a bit hollow when launching from a dig up until it reaches ~3700RPM. The ART Pipes completely eliminate that feeling and you are constantly pinned into the seat as you accelerate. I was really taken back when I first felt that rush and noticed how my back was completely pressed against the seat. I mean, I was expecting a difference...but didn't think it'd be THAT much. And to think, I still need to have this retuned a bit.

One of the best comparisons I can make is simple. Basically, if you're a stock VQ35DE and you are kicking yourself for not getting a 2007-08 VQ35HR because it's a torquier motor, simply replacing the OEM cats with the ART Pipes will cure that regret - I am more than certain. You get the torque in the low-end, just like the HRs have, increased torque all throughout the powerband, and a notable increase in horsepower, as well. I'd actually be curious to see what the torque curve of a VQ35DE with ART Pipes is vs. that of a stock VQ35HR - I wouldn't be surprised if the VQ35DE w/ART Pipes show better results in certain spots.

Sound

Lastly, claims of reducing drone and being even quieter than HFCs and test pipes are absolutely true. I used to have a very slight case of cabin drone at around 1800RPM (or so), only at a cruising speed in 5th gear (~35MPH). It didn't bother me much, because it wasn't that loud, and it literally only happened at 1800RPM...if I cruised at 1900 or 2000RPM, there'd be no noises. Either way, with the ART Pipes there is absolutely no drone at all.

I do hear a "shhhhhh" noise when on the throttle, is that normal? I wouldn't say it's rasp, it simply sounds like air moving through. We checked for leaks and all, but there were none. I'm just assuming that's the free-flowing nature of a test pipe-like design?

Weight Reduction

The ART Pipes weigh virtually the same as the HFCs. But, because they have no hangars, there is no need for the hangar support bar anymore. Removing that sucker sheds close to 5lbs. Every bit counts.

Conclusion

So, is it worth the coin? I think so. If you're an HFC owner, you can offset the cost of the ART Pipes by putting them up for sale. I got my asking price of $200 for my Ultimate Racing HFCs, and had people offer me more ($250+) if I canceled my sale with the purchaser. Fortunately, there is also a non-polished version of the ART Pipes on their way in about 2 weeks, which are almost $100 cheaper. Moreover, Tony ships every set with new gaskets and bolts, so you don't have to spend $30 on new gaskets from Nissan - and that's awesome!

All in all, this is definitely a must have bolt-on for any N/A Z; it really transforms the way the car feels and drives.
Attached Thumbnails ART Pipes Installed - Review Thread-img_1192.jpg  

Last edited by SniperHunter; 04-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good review, thanks for sharing! one question, how's the smell of the exhaust fumes vs hfc?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 AM
SniperHunter

Smell's not that bad at all, barely noticeable. And apparently it'll be gone after the break in process is over. No biggie.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the x pipe and the art pipes, would you say your exhaust is really quiet now? Almost like having a stock exhaust?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
procustomize

Did you do any dyno runs? What about engine light? any sign of engine light?
Please do share. I can't to get a pair for my HR.

THanks again for the write up, its really good to see how much difference i had even when you already had a tuned HFC.

Please comment on the engine light concern. Thanks!

and grats
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice review

I cant wait until these are released for the HR.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:32 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by stevehl
with the x pipe and the art pipes, would you say your exhaust is really quiet now? Almost like having a stock exhaust?
Quieter at cruising speeds, louder at WOT. It sounds pretty amazing, and definitely "exotic" as some would call it.

Originally Posted by procustomize
Did you do any dyno runs? What about engine light? any sign of engine light?
Please do share. I can't to get a pair for my HR.

THanks again for the write up, its really good to see how much difference i had even when you already had a tuned HFC.

Please comment on the engine light concern. Thanks!

and grats
No dynos. I never baselined the car, so I wouldn't be able to measure gains. And so far, I've driven about 60 miles on them with no engine light. Though, as far as I know, these are practically guaranteed not to trigger a CEL anyways.

Oddly enough, and this could be just in my head, but the car feels more and more powerful every time I drive it. Either that, or it's the feeling of a depleting gas tank lessening the weight.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad you couldn't get the before/after dyno's, but it's awesome to hear another positive review. It's always great to actually feel the improvement from a new mod. My MREV2/Spacer combo and the ART Pipes are probably the only two times that's happened for me. Welcome to the ART Pipe club

Last edited by onagao; 04-03-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
bluezee

Great review! Enjoy the pipes. I know I am!!

Bob
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
StillAlive2029

I bet your purchaser is so happy that you didnt sell for $250 to someone else!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by onagao
It's too bad you couldn't get the before/after dyno's, but it's awesome to hear another positive review. It's always great to actually feel the improvement from a new mod. My MREV2/Spacer combo and the ART Pipes are probably the only two times that's happened for me. Welcome to the ART Pipe club
Haha, yeah it feels nice and exclusive. We're some of the very first Z owners to have these. Feels cool. =)

Originally Posted by StillAlive2029
I bet your purchaser is so happy that you didnt sell for $250 to someone else!
I bet he is! Hahaha. =)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

do these throw any CEL's?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
sradenton

Originally Posted by pony_killer
do these throw any CEL's?
NOPE
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
whitez33350ztt

i have kinetix hfc on my vortech setup on my 03 along with headers and catback.. would these art pipes increase my torque..? and is there really a retune necessary?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure it would increase torque and not need a retune. Would you like to dyno it?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
SniperHunter

I seriously cannot believe how fantastic these ART Pipes are. I've put on 400 miles on my car in the past week I've had them. That's twice than my normal amount. My Audi has just been sitting in the garage, haha. New York's weather has been so nice and night times are brisk, so I've been driving around late at night sometimes running into some cars.

At the risk of sounding juvenile (you've all done it too, don't judge), I had a little run in with an E92 BMW M3 and a B8 Audi S4 within the same hour and neither car could pull away from me on highway rolls to 100. In fact, I believe that had I gone further with the S4 I'd have end up passing it (4000lbs + AWD + Supercharger = worse top end). Either way, after I let off on the Audi, the S4 kept driving like a douche.

Meanwhile the M3 guy asked if my car was turbo or supercharged, I told him it wasn't, but he said he heard a slight whistle from it, so I had to explain to him how odd 350Zs are with exhaust mods and that it's from the ART Pipes. I just told him my car is fully bolted on, tuned, and weighs about 700lbs less than his M3, and has more torque.

Anyways, just felt like sharing how extremely happy I am with these.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 04-11-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 AM
procustomize

Heh nice Arnold, to think that you can come even close to M3 really means something. I can't wait for the HR.

Drive safe
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I might have to come to the meet tonight I want to hear these things.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
bencurtis

Definitely next on my list of things to get! Anybody used these with the dual v1 shockwave exhaust yet?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
o2sys

Yo i see you got them on....if you dont mind lets go for little run at the Cross Island racetrack (lol PKWY) Lets use my car as a baseline and how much your call pulls away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ART Pipes Installed - Review Thread