Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

hard vibration when engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 AM
sakred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard vibration when engine braking

im getting this hard vibration when engine braking at certain rpms. like say for example i wind her up to redline in 3rd gear and let off with the car still in gear at a certain point in the rpm range mostly 4k and 3k rpms the cars vibration will get really bad. it feels like your going over an unpaved road. my cars an 05 and only has 2k miles on it. i was just wondering is this normal or is this something i should have looked at. any help would be appreciated

Hammad
Old 12-15-2004, 04:55 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hard vibration when engine braking

Originally posted by sakred
im getting this hard vibration when engine braking at certain rpms. like say for example i wind her up to redline in 3rd gear and let off with the car still in gear at a certain point in the rpm range mostly 4k and 3k rpms the cars vibration will get really bad. it feels like your going over an unpaved road. my cars an 05 and only has 2k miles on it. i was just wondering is this normal or is this something i should have looked at. any help would be appreciated

Hammad
I think my car does that too....and if I get back on even slightly it goes away. I have near 34K miles with no problems...so I think it's pretty normal.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
HanZolo

haha mine just started doing this too. Only during deceleration while in gear between 3000-3500 rpm. I think it's a bad carrier bearing but Nissan says it's normal/can't feel it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 PM
sakred

cool thanks for the reply guys i was getting a little worreid. especially cause im in the canyons and engin braking after a heal toe or coastin through a turn sometimes it does it around 5k also but its good to know its normal

Hammad
Old 01-09-2005, 01:46 PM
webrits

Yup, mine has started doing this also, and it seems to be doing it more and more. Only under decel. between 3000 & 4000 rpm, depending on which gear I'm in.
I have a feeling the driveshaft may be out-of-balance.....just a guess.

It can be felt throught the shifter especially.
Anyone had this fixed yet??
Old 01-12-2005, 05:15 AM
mpol99

It is perfectly normal, guys. My '03 does the same thing.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:32 AM
NoahzBurnt

Mine is especially prevalent in 2nd at 4K when engine braking. It's at the dealership today getting the rear end fixed and they are looking into that problem. So if anything positive comes out of it i'll let you guys know!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 PM
sakred

cool keep us updated please

Hammad
Old 01-15-2005, 07:05 PM
john98r

Could this be caused by the car switching which profile is being used on the camshafts? Doesn't it switch at a certain RPM? I notice the same thing in my car.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Steve-O Z33

Just did a search for "bad carrier bearing" to see what I'd see. I've been having this issue as well so I'm reviving this thread. If I accelerate and let off, it gets bad at times. When I'm trying to pass someone on the highway and they pull a douchebag and speed up, I run it up to 80 to get by them and let back off, & it shakes everything. Just giving a bit more throttle will make it stop.

I never had this issue before installing whiteline differential bushings and the Z1 transmission mount. I'm thinking 1 or both of these may have slightly changed my driveline angle and caused the carrier bearing to go since it had over 20k with stock bushings/mount.

But something also makes me think it's just the nature of having stiffer bushings in there. I'm going to check into this a little more and see if I can find the issue.