Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is something wrong with my car or is this normal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Mus27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my car or is this normal

When i am driving on the road, i feel or actually hear every pebble i drive over. Is there any underbody in this car that insulates the noise. It is kinda getting annoying.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:01 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Sadly it is normal, and a combination of stickier tires and no noise dampening, I was thinking of putting some dynamat or similar down in the back and see if it helps.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:56 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

feeling I dont know, I feel bumps, thats a sports car, wait let me take that back, its not abnormal for a sports car, they are often known for a stiff, somewhat jarring ride, you should have expected that.

as for HEARING them. that was weight savings, you are in the trunk, there is no seperation between you and the rear wheel well except for the tire well, and some carpeting. so you hear the pebbles kick up. they sell stuff that they spray into your wheel well and its dampens the sound. not sure where you go to have it done, but it is available. if it really bothers you, look into it.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:13 AM
Iceman02

Totally agree with Ares comment !
Old 02-26-2003, 02:19 PM
SUPERMAN350Z

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM..I PICK UP ALL THE PEBLES ON THE RODE WHEN I DRIVE..ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS DAMP ROAD. SOUNDS LIKE ITS HITTING THE PAINT,BUT IT THE UDERCARRIAGE.

IM HAVING A PROBLEM WHEN I TURN THE ENGINE OFF IT SOUNDS LIKE A RADDLING SOUD DOES ANYBODY HAVE THAT PROBLEM
Old 02-26-2003, 02:29 PM
ares
Veteran

thats not normal, but neither is typing in caps for no reason.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:06 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by SUPERMAN350Z
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM..I PICK UP ALL THE PEBLES ON THE RODE WHEN I DRIVE..ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS DAMP ROAD. SOUNDS LIKE ITS HITTING THE PAINT,BUT IT THE UDERCARRIAGE.

IM HAVING A PROBLEM WHEN I TURN THE ENGINE OFF IT SOUNDS LIKE A RADDLING SOUD DOES ANYBODY HAVE THAT PROBLEM
LOLOLOL!!!!!1
Old 02-26-2003, 03:52 PM
sgraham

Hearing pebbles is normal is bull. The car reminds me of my 96 Trans Am. I installed dynamat and it great. No road noise from the *** end. Same thing needed to be done for the Z - at the factory. Also NOT normal is the porpoising on sections of wavy hwy. It too is bull. If I had known how bad I would likely not have bought the car. I'm committed and have installed clear bra too (to the tune of $700). I've complained to my dealer and down the road will need to get new shocks/springs. Someone should sue for a recall. And YES!! I know it is a sports car but I've had a '94 Corvette with the Z1 suspensiona and an '80 Corvette. Never had it as bad on the hwy stretches. Problem with the 350Z suspension, acoustics suck, stereo could be better and OEM tires are crappy. I can live with all but the suspension. It really fries me.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:53 PM
jackwhale

I guess I don't know exactly what porpoising is. There are plenty of freeways around here where the car bounces/thumps when driving app. 70 mph. It clearly is something in the surfacing of the road--grooves or something, because there are some sections of pavement which is different and where one doesn't feel the bumping along. With the exception of these sections of freeway, I haven't noticed anything as severe as you mention.

I wonder whether this is a difference between our cars or I'm just too preoccupied to notice.

OEM tires are crappy--cheaper than Bridgestone pole position. I definitely plan to upgrade the tires but this has been true with most cars/trucks I have bought.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:04 PM
sgraham

Go to North Central forum and check out the splattering of posts there on the ride PROBLEM. this is NOT normal. It unhinges your jaw when the oscillation occurs. I sold CAD/CAM systems in Detroit for 12 years and worked with 2 of the big 3, Tier 1 suppliers, etc. They said NEVER buy a car first year out. This is why. Now Nissan has to fix it. LOOK at your lights hopping at night while your jaw is dislocating. See any other cars lights doing this? No? Now you get it. Let's see how Nissan responds. I'm praying for the best. And yes, the OEM tires are crap but I can switch those and move on. I am not a whiner. I have had many high perf cars. This is a major problem.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:14 PM
happypants

Originally posted by jackwhale
I guess I don't know exactly what porpoising is. There are plenty of freeways around here where the car bounces/thumps when driving app. 70 mph. It clearly is something in the surfacing of the road--grooves or something, because there are some sections of pavement which is different and where one doesn't feel the bumping along. With the exception of these sections of freeway, I haven't noticed anything as severe as you mention.
The car bounces with the cupping in the road, approximately 3-5 times a sec (depending on speed). Seems to occur only on concrete roads.

Unfortunately for us in the Midwest, we have 5-10 MILES LONG stretches of this type of road, usually expressways.

If you had a drink in the car, it would spill all over the place (unless sealed).

It also is VERY NOTICEABLE at night because you can see your headlight beams repeatedly bouncing 4-6" in the rear of the car in front of you.

I wonder whether this is a difference between our cars or I'm just too preoccupied to notice.
Believe me, you would notice it. Especially if you get carsick fairly easily!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:20 PM
sgraham

OK. I'm into cognitive therapy so what do we do and how do we do it collectively to make an impact? I swear I have never done any collective organizing in 48 years but I am very pissed off. If you guys want to start some pain on this email me at sgraham1@ix.netcom.com. Let's pull as many people as possible together and try this first the nice way.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I said on the Nissan Survey I got after I bought my 350Z:

Habberstad Nissan is truly a great Nissan dealer. I have nothing but high praise for Habberstad. They put the customer first and will go out of their way to make things right if there is a problem.

The following are problems I’ve discovered with the 350Z:

1. The ride is FAR TOO BOUNCY. I’m not talking about the firmness of the ride. I’m talking about the car bouncing up and down. I’ve owned the 300ZX TT, Mustang GT & Corvette and they all were not as BOUNCY as the 350Z. There is something wrong with the suspension in the 350Z! I will likely replace the shocks and/or springs. An extra expense I shouldn’t have to incur.

2. The tires on the 350Z are summer tires and are dangerous in colder climates. Many people on the www.My350Z.com forum have reported accidents due to these tires when driven in cold climates. I replaced my tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. An extra expense I shouldn’t have to incur. Nissan should be embarrassed by putting such horrible tires on the 350Z.

3. Check out the forum for a complete list of user problems and complaints:
<https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=9354>
Old 02-26-2003, 05:32 PM
sgraham

Intrepid is right on. We should not have to incur the expense. My dealer is great too. The tires are an invitation to disaster. I couldn't get out of a client's lot on a 3 degree incline and 1/4 inch of snow a couple days ago. Ironically, it was a Japan based company. I'll swap out the tires but, again, where does the leave us with the suspension. That really sticks in my craw.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
ares
Veteran

the Z is a short wheel base car, which lends it to the bouncy ride vs a Fbody or like.

but I dont want to defend it totally, the car is worse about it then it should be, it would seem to be the wrong spring rates for the pistons. best way to determine that would be to get input from someone with aftermarket suspension.

I dont think mine gets it as bad as your roads, but I think I know what your talking about.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:52 AM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by ares
the Z is a short wheel base car, which lends it to the bouncy ride vs a Fbody or like.

but I dont want to defend it totally, the car is worse about it then it should be, it would seem to be the wrong spring rates for the pistons. best way to determine that would be to get input from someone with aftermarket suspension.

I dont think mine gets it as bad as your roads, but I think I know what your talking about.
The Z is NOT a short wheel based car. It's wheel base is almost the same as a Corvette.

350Z wheel base - 104.3
Corvette wheel base - 104.5
Old 02-27-2003, 09:12 AM
mytalon

The suspension in the 350Z is definatly soft for a sports car, and bouncy. Maybe they should upgrade us all to the s-tune setup.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Pedal Pusher

Everyone should contact the Nissan tech line regarding the ride.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:41 PM
sgraham

what's the number for Nissan tech line?

and

what is the S-tune option for suspension?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
julian

question for y'all that are complaining about the ride: didn't you guys test drive the car before buying it?

I drove one briefly for 15 minutes (not long enough if I were looking to purchase a car) and could tell the car was extremely stiff. mytalon-Definitely soft?! I disagree. You want a sports car, you got a sports car. But I do agree that it shouldn't be bouncing like that. My limited experience tells me that if your car is bouncing you need lower spring rates and/or higher damping. I didn't think it was that bad when I drove it, but then again the road wasn't that bumpy either.

If nissan put all season tires on the Z, then people would complain about not having grippy tires. What do you guys expect of 17" low profile tires? You're talking about a manufacturer that makes cars for the entire US region. There's no way they can separate tire choice at the plant based on geography. Leave it as a dealer installed option.

Quick Reply: Is something wrong with my car or is this normal