Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please Help- Really Hot Cabin/Floorboard Temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Please Help- Really Hot Cabin/Floorboard Temp

Hello Guys! I'm a newly registered member and I had a question that I am hoping you all could help me with. Just purchased my second 2006 Touring coupe, reluctantly traded my first one about 1 1/2 years ago for a POS Solstice (call it "momentary insanity"), so am extremely excited to be back in one. Car only has 32k miles and is in mint condish, only problem I'm having is that the previous owner installed TiTek test pipes and now the cabin and the floorboard get extremely hot. Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on what may be causing this? Any solutions to the problem that you know of? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome! You should get the car up on jackstands and take a long, good look at the installation of those test pipes. My guess is they're leaking, or have some issue with redirecting the hot exhaust gasses effectively. Only way to know for sure is to (safely) get up there with a flashlight and check for yourself.

If you can't DIY, you can pay any competent exhaust shop to put the Z on a lift and inspect it. Just get ready to pay the bill for the repair once you do.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome! You should get the car up on jackstands and take a long, good look at the installation of those test pipes. My guess is they're leaking, or have some issue with redirecting the hot exhaust gasses effectively. Only way to know for sure is to (safely) get up there with a flashlight and check for yourself.

If you can't DIY, you can pay any competent exhaust shop to put the Z on a lift and inspect it. Just get ready to pay the bill for the repair once you do.
Previous owner said something about damaging the heat shield when he installed the test pipes....? I've got a Greddy Evo3 exhaust ordered which should arrive on Friday and hopefully installed on Monday. Any chance that this will improve the cabin temp?

Also, If heat shield was indeed damaged, can this be fixed? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

you can always add dei mat to the floor under the car.. or wrap the test pipes w dei wrap.. or replace the heat sheild.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 AM
superstuddc27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just take it to a local muffler shop you trust that'll throw it on the rack and see if anything is touching or too close. My muffler guy usually does that stuff for free if he's not swamped.
But it's normal for the Z to get pretty hot. I inquired about this when I bought my car also. Just happened to be a hot day and a lot of driving. The floor board and area where the transmission tunnel is, was getting quite hot. My feet felt like they were being warmed
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
I would just take it to a local muffler shop you trust that'll throw it on the rack and see if anything is touching or too close. My muffler guy usually does that stuff for free if he's not swamped.
But it's normal for the Z to get pretty hot. I inquired about this when I bought my car also. Just happened to be a hot day and a lot of driving. The floor board and area where the transmission tunnel is, was getting quite hot. My feet felt like they were being warmed
Yeah, my butt literally starts to sweat from the seats getting so warm. Air temp in the cabin is almost unbearable even on cool evenings. It's going to the muffler shop on Monday to have new Catback installed. Hopefully I can get them to look into it and find a fix.

Could the heat be causing any damage to the undercarriage, or is it more of just a nuisance?

Last edited by Bellisima_Z; 07-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think this would cause all of the heat, but while you get under the car i would check for aftermarket headers. I just got mine installed and I know I definitely notice sweaty feet more
Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by craig12895
I don't think this would cause all of the heat, but while you get under the car i would check for aftermarket headers. I just got mine installed and I know I definitely notice sweaty feet more
That would be fantastic
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

My z is pretty bad. I just removed my megan test pipes and heavy hks reps and found the test pipes were broken completely in half at the welds. Good thing I picked up a full tomei exhaust with tomei test pipes. I might ad something to the floor or under the car if the heat is still bad.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

If it is an exhaust leak, there's also carbon monoxide to consider. Even in hot weather, my Z never gets too hot inside with the a/c running.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
If it is an exhaust leak, there's also carbon monoxide to consider. Even in hot weather, my Z never gets too hot inside with the a/c running.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was an exhaust leak wouldn't it be obviously louder than normal?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
technic05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellisima_Z
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was an exhaust leak wouldn't it be obviously louder than normal?

You are correct. A large enough exhaust leak would cause two tones of noise. One coming from the area of the leak, and the second tone coming out of your exhaust.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,058 Likes on 6,522 Posts

when i went from factory cats to art pipes i noticed my floor getting hotter,, you dont have the shields around them. like others said, check to see if you have a leak or something but me personally i wouldnt think too much of it
Old 07-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by travlee9374
when i went from factory cats to art pipes i noticed my floor getting hotter,, you dont have the shields around them. like others said, check to see if you have a leak or something but me personally i wouldnt think too much of it
Yeah... as long the heat isn't doing any damage to the undercarriage it is def something I can live with. I've paid a little more attention since I posted this and It doesn't really get too warm unless I've been driving for long periods of time anyway.

What's your opinion on wrapping the test pipes with dei wrap?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

No heat shields and long tube headers, I blistered my heal in a 30 minute track session. Had smoke in the cabin from the sole of my Simpson shoe
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No heat shields and long tube headers, I blistered my heal in a 30 minute track session. Had smoke in the cabin from the sole of my Simpson shoe
Holy crap! Did you figure out a way to fix it, or do you now just drive around with ice packs duck taped to your feet?