Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

today was a bad day....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM
reidolliffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default today was a bad day....

so today was a bad day for my 2004 350z, i did some work on it with terrible results first i will start with what i did. i changed my oil with motosel 10 30 synthetic and lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and an oem nissan filter. i removed the terrible green underglow that was under the car and in the interior, it was installed by the previous owner, it was spliced into a red wire that ran under the center console (part of the harness that runs under the center console). i also removed a "redline power chip" that was spliced into two of the wires on the MAF sensor. i have taped any wires that have had any cut insulation due to quick splices and as far as i can see i have not messed with anything else.

now the results. when i first took the car for a drive i noticed an immense power drop, it could not have been due to the chip as when i took it apart all i found was one small resistor inside. shortly after it cleared up and drove just like normal again. i was messing around a bit did a couple of donuts and again everything seemed fine. after i went to head back home on my way back from the test drive the "VDC off" light and the "SLIP" light became illuminated and stayed illuminated until i shut off the car. after going inside for a couple hours i had to go out, and this time the vdc and slip lights came on and stayed on again. i also noticed that when i went to use my left turn signal it would flash once and beep (sounded like mario jumping on nintendo) inside the car from the speakers (only once with the flash of the light). so i parked the car for five minutes and started it again. on this short drive (aprox 2mins) same thing with the turn signal, power loss was back for the entire drive (felt like 15% throttle), and vdc, slip, and abs lights were on.

i have no idea where to start with this. any suggestions and feedback are much appreciated!

to the mods: excuse me if this is in the wrong section please move it to apropriate section

Last edited by reidolliffe; 01-20-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:32 AM
thekyledeg

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

try resetting your ecu by unplugging the neg. battery terminal for 15 minutes then go ahead and to the throttle body re-learn after you hook up the battery back up. (just search for it you'll find it)
Old 01-21-2015, 05:46 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

There is no telling what you caused by cutting all those wires and why were you spinning donuts on a public street, that gives z owners a bad image, cut that **** out.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

nah, let him Dugan the car....
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
nah, let him Dugan the car....
Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 AM
reidolliffe

Originally Posted by bith8791
There is no telling what you caused by cutting all those wires and why were you spinning donuts on a public street, that gives z owners a bad image, cut that **** out.
it was at the end of a dead end road with no houses in the middle of farm country. i just figured id include it just incase it could have anything to do with the problems im experiencing.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a sad state of affairs... I think we've truly hit rock bottom.

Under glows, Donuts, and Super Mario references all in the same post. I think your Z is missing the flux capacitor.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM
thekyledeg

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickboy101
This is a sad state of affairs... I think we've truly hit rock bottom.

Under glows, Donuts, and Super Mario references all in the same post. I think your Z is missing the flux capacitor.
oh come on guys, have some faith as apparently it was the previous owner that had that stuff installed... not him.. i hope. i mean, id blame some stuff i did on the PO to not embarrass myself.

but on a serious note im actually trying to help.. the resistor could have played a role in your car not knowing what the **** was goin on cause it wouldnt allow the MAF to send correct air/temp readings (yes maf's on our cars pull both IAT and airflow duties, 'fore anybody calls me out) and as for the slip/traction lights could be a bad abs/wheelspeed or crank position sensor.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM
reidolliffe

found the problem! completley unrelated to any of the work i had done. the exhaust did not exit past the bumper and melted the taillight wiring causing the wiring to short out. i cut a pigtail off a car at the wrecker, wired it in, and everything worked perfect. i have since extended the exhaust tip and so far everything is back to normal.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Thanks for the update. I had nearly an identical experience almost 40 years ago when I built a Volkswagen dune buggy. An errant exhaust pipe's position fried some wiring causing a big and mysterious problem that required a lot of investigation before I could implement a fix.