Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Airbags (SRS) Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 PM
JoseZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags (SRS) Help

So i just purchased a new LH and RH Airbags for my car because it does not have any. So first what i did was got a New/Used, front crash zone sensor because for some reason mine was broken off. So installed that and the code went away immediately, The thing I'm concerned about is installing the airbags themselves, i don't know if my SRS module has blown air bags in the system or not, is their any way to troubleshot this, without blowing an airbag?

Thanks for the feedback in advanced.

Here are the codes that came from scan tool.
  1. B1049 Driver Airbag Module Open
  2. B1065 Assist Airbag Module Open (Basically Passenger Side)
  3. B1081 Pre-Ten Right Hand Open (Seat Belt)
  4. B1086 Pre-Ten Left Hand Open (Seat Belt)
  5. Also had B1035 Front Crash Sensor, Replaced that and code went away immediately. This is how the sensor was http://imgur.com/XFJGhwC

Just finished installing both airbags, just waiting for friend with scanner to check out the codes. 3/26/15 1:00 P.M Central Time (U.S and Canada)

Last edited by JoseZ33; 03-26-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

You left out some critical info: was your Z involved in an accident which blew both airbags? Do you even know? If you're not sure, the SRS module should be replaced as it will not trigger the airbags in a shunt.

I do not know of any reliable way to test the module...
Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If all of the sensors are good it shouldn't store a signal to pop the bags. Is your airbag light on still?

If the light isn't on my guess would be you're fine to replace them.

I've never really messed with air bags before though. I just know if I put anything under my driver seat that wiggles the wires it will turn my air bag light on and I have to do the reset procedure with the key to make it go out.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM
JoseZ33

Originally Posted by dkmura
You left out some critical info: was your Z involved in an accident which blew both airbags? Do you even know? If you're not sure, the SRS module should be replaced as it will not trigger the airbags in a shunt.

I do not know of any reliable way to test the module...
Okay, the airbags were not deployed to my knowledge,but they are not in their, and the is on, i had a friend scan it with a scan tool and it came up with theses codes,
  1. B1049 Driver Airbag Module Open
  2. B1065 Assist Airbag Module Open (Basically Passenger Side)
  3. B1081 Pre-Ten Right Hand Open (Seat Belt)
  4. B1086 Pre-Ten Left Hand Open (Seat Belt)
  5. Also had B1035 Front Crash Sensor, Replaced that and code went away immediately.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The front crash sensor was missing and no airbags in the car? Also, codes for the seatbelt tensioners are on and you still don't think there was an accident? Maybe you should rethink that... All the evidence is there, but you're not believing it. Any reason you think this Z hasn't been in a shunt?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 AM
JoseZ33

The front crash sensor was missing and no airbags in the car? Also, codes for the seatbelt tensioners are on and you still don't think there was an accident? Maybe you should rethink that... All the evidence is there, but you're not believing it. Any reason you think this Z hasn't been in a shunt?
No damage to the frame at all, and seat side airbags still in tact and both side curtain airbags were not deployed.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JoseZ33
No damage to the frame at all, and seat side airbags still in tact and both side curtain airbags were not deployed.
Still not sure you understand how modern safety systems work. Damage to the frame may not have occurred because the front bumper supports were crushed and later replaced during a rebuild. Side airbags do not deploy unless the side impact sensor triggers it. There are plenty of "nose-in" shunts that can blow all the front airbags, but I assume you already pulled the vehicle history and know that for certain?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM
JoseZ33

Still not sure you understand how modern safety systems work. Damage to the frame may not have occurred because the front bumper supports were crushed and later replaced during a rebuild. Side airbags do not deploy unless the side impact sensor triggers it. There are plenty of "nose-in" shunts that can blow all the front airbags, but I assume you already pulled the vehicle history and know that for certain?
Pretty much was just asking if i should send module for reset or not, after installing the airbags. But i don't know the exact history, just know that car fax did not report any blown airbags.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:21 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

If you're unsure of your car's history, but you have a TON of specific codes all pointing towards deplyment, you have little choice. Sent the airbag module in to be checked and/or reset.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 PM
JoseZ33

If you're unsure of your car's history, but you have a TON of specific codes all pointing towards deplyment, you have little choice. Sent the airbag module in to be checked and/or reset.
okay that sounds like a good idea any recommended shops?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,268 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Your car was hit in the front. The sensor was damaged in the accident and not replaced. The car was fixed cosmetically for sale, but the blown airbags were removed and not replaced due to cost. I would not trust a used front sensor. If it's ever been dropped, it may not deploy the bags in a front end collision. Also, the pre-tensioners in the belts blew, that's why you have those codes. Seatbelts are a single use only item. They must be replaced after an accident. You'll also need an airbag diagnosis sensor unit. It's the brain of the airbag system. It's located in the center console. It's also a single use item. This is why even an accident that appeared minor can total a car. BTW, the side curtains only deploy is a side hit. If the car was hit in the front, they won't deploy.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
JoseZ33

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Your car was hit in the front. The sensor was damaged in the accident and not replaced. The car was fixed cosmetically for sale, but the blown airbags were removed and not replaced due to cost. I would not trust a used front sensor. If it's ever been dropped, it may not deploy the bags in a front end collision. Also, the pre-tensioners in the belts blew, that's why you have those codes. Seatbelts are a single use only item. They must be replaced after an accident. You'll also need an airbag diagnosis sensor unit. It's the brain of the airbag system. It's located in the center console. It's also a single use item. This is why even an accident that appeared minor can total a car. BTW, the side curtains only deploy is a side hit. If the car was hit in the front, they won't deploy.
ok thanks for the information and i actually got the front sensor from a friend who is stripping his car for drifting, and also got the airbags from him, so im pretty sure the sensor would be good, just need a new srs module correct or could i get it reset?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,268 Likes on 1,015 Posts

According to the FSM, it must be replaced. Don't forget to replace the seat belts too. The pre-tensioners are ballistic. Once they blow, they can't be reused. Also, if someone was sitting in the seat, the webbing has been stretched. It could tear if in a second accident.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JoseZ33
okay that sounds like a good idea any recommended shops?
No idea- I'd also recommend going with a new SRS module.