Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Front Right Rotor wiggle/scraping

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 PM
phelannz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Right Rotor wiggle/scraping

Hey team,

Work at the factory is finally starting to die down a bit so I have some more spare time to do some maintenance on my Z. I noticed some knocking while braking and turning right which got progressively worse - and from what I saw, the Front Left Lower Control arm bushing is completely rooted. But while I was under there I thought I'd have a good poke around and see if I could find anything else untoward - and noticed this with the rotor/brake - when the brake was not engaged. Here's a video of the problem:

Can I sort this out by adjusting the brake pad/caliper or will i need to replace the whole rotor?
Attached Thumbnails Front Right Rotor wiggle/scraping-control-arm.jpg  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The sound on your vid wasn't out of the norm, it sounded like your floating rotor had the usual sound I'd expect. Do you get any vibration through the steering when braking? If not, and your rotors are within spec, there's nothing to worry about there.

BUT if you bolt the wheel back on and find the wheel still has that wooble when you twist/check it, it's likely a bad wheel bearing.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Yeah, it's hard to tell from the video if the rotor is loose on the hub, the wheel bearing is loose, or the whole upright is loose because of the bad LCA bushing. First repair should be that bushing. The rotor doesn't appear to have any significant wear.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:16 AM
KJFire4Life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Put the wheel back on and wiggle the whole thing back and forth like your wrestling a giant pumpkin If you have any play in the actual hub and wheel assembly I'd put my money on bearing going bad. I know your LCA bushing is shot, but as far as the noise and wiggle you hear. That's normal for a free float rotor. The rotor is normally held straight and even to the hub by the wheel and lug nuts. It should rotate between the pads with little to no rub as long as the wheel is on and torqued evenly. As soon as you take the wheel off the rotor will flop as the weight is distributed unevenly on it then. Causing it to rub pads slights when you turn it by hand and wiggle on the studs. It's normal But do what I said up above to check your bearings for play. Otherwise looks like it's just time for an LCA.