Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Frequently Resetting Window Motor - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:19 PM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Frequently Resetting Window Motor - Why?

Before I get someone started on the subject, I do know that much has been written on this subject and, moreover, I have successfully replaced a motor. However, my issue is why (when a window seems to work perfectly) does the window start dropping down from the full-up position? For example, I reset the motor late last year and it worked well for almost 6 months. Then without reason, the window refused to remain in the fully-closed position. The suddenly after raising the window to the full-up point, it drops back about three inches and it will repeat this action over and over. While I know how to fix the issue (by removing the door panel and pushing a reset button on the motor). this becomes tedious when it is required annually. Is the problem with the motor or some other component in the car? On the bright side, I've had the car since 2004 and this is the only problem experienced. Anybody have any suggestions that might fix this once and for all?
Old 05-14-2016, 04:13 AM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just started happening to me.... Goes up and comes down 3 inches. Happens only when I used the auto feature. (pull the switch completely up for the click). This is not regularly though. When it comes back down, I just hold the switch up for like 20 seconds and it usually won't do it again. This is a sign that the motor will take a walk at some point.

My guess is that the component keeping track of the position of the window is bad. In motor control... it's usually a hall effect sensor, but it could be something resistive for window control. Think of a potentiometer that starts to get dirty (oxidizes internally)
Old 05-14-2016, 09:27 AM
TEF

Thanks for your response and well-written explanation of what the problem might be. Effectively, you're saying that the motor is at fault. I recall that Advance Auto provided a life-time warranty on this part, so, I'll shoot for a replacement. But installing a new motor, even if "free" is such a PITA. It's too bad Nissan did not engineer a revised part for this function. It seems that these motors must rank as the car's number-one failing.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

When that happens, the only fix is a replacement. I know people think I'm a shill for Nissan, since I used to work there, but I've replaced dozens of window motors. The aftermarket ones ALWAYS go bad in a year, maybe 2 at most. They're rebuilt in Mexico, not new. The Nissan ones are new and rarely go bad. Same goes for crank, cam and oxygen sensors. Aftermarket ones are ****.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:31 PM
TEF

Relative to buying a genuine Nissan window motor, I note that the Nissan part number was changed from 80730CD001 to 80730-CD00A. Does anyone know if the actual motor was changed (for the better, I hope) or was it only the part number? The OEM one costs about $250 (vice $80.00 for a rebuilt one), so I am hoping Nissan improved the design and/or reliability).
Old 05-15-2016, 02:51 AM
i8acobra

No telling. It could have been improved, or they may have just changed the supplier. Sometimes Nissan issues a new part number when the price goes up.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:36 AM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
But installing a new motor, even if "free" is such a PITA. It's too bad Nissan did not engineer a revised part for this function. It seems that these motors must rank as the car's number-one failing.

yes... it is terrible to replace. On my old 03 track, I think I replaced the passenger side twice and driver's once. Always with a new Nissan part. I could never get the window back to the way it used to be.

For example, I attempted to replace my nismo driver's side. Now the window is a little loose. When I drive on the highway, I can here the wind seeping through. I'll probably make a new thread about that... some sort of adjustment screw most likely.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 PM
i8acobra

There are adjustments. The regulator can be moved a little where it bolts to the metal plate. Also there are actual adjustment crews to adjust the glass in and out to adjust pressure against the seal, since the 350Z's glass doesn't slide up in a track.

Someone on G35Driver did a write up on it with pics.

http://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/...attle-fix.html

I used to get tasked with fixing these 350Z window rattles after other techs replaced regulators or motors and didn't know they needed to check the adjustment after the job.
The following users liked this post:
NissanTracker (05-26-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 PM
gossf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're only pushing the reset button that isnt the proper procedure to relearn the motor. The motor has infinite range of rotation and it needs to be "told" where the fully up position of the window is. It sounds like the motor is still ****ed, but after you replace it make sure you do this: http://www.powerwin.com.au/mechanics...0Procedure.pdf
Also couldnt hurt to try that before you replace the motor again.
The following users liked this post:
gringott (09-12-2016)