Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

rear passenger lug nuts keep coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 AM
SoCali-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear passenger lug nuts keep coming loose

Either I found out I have an enemy, or something fishy is going on with my 03 z.

Ive been doing alot of drifting and drag racing along with the canyon runs. Never had an issue with my lugs coming loose.

Naturally my brain says "lug nuts dont loosen themselves". But something is telling me there is other factors at play.

I noticed when I heard a "ching ching ching ching" noise coming from the rear. Scope it out and 1 lug is missing the other 4 are barely on. Easily turned by hand. This happened after drifting a couple circle's.

I torqued the remaining 4 down to 93ftlb. I had to do a 3 hour drive (1.5 there 1.5 back) Drove there. All Good. Get off the freeway on the way back.... Ching ching ching ching. WTF.

I never had this issue the past 2 years of owning this car and now it wont stop. Please any insight is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The other factors at play here are not mentioned in your post. Are you using OEM or aftermarket wheels? Also, have you changed lug nuts recently, or has something changed about the lug seats themselves ?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Have you checked the hub for play? I think vibration can loosen lug nuts.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM
SoCali-Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
The other factors at play here are not mentioned in your post. Are you using OEM or aftermarket wheels? Also, have you changed lug nuts recently, or has something changed about the lug seats themselves ?

Aftermarket xxr 20 inch rims. I havent changed the lugnuts ever. Im assuming they are what came with the rims as every lug is keyed. I did do a rear brake job not too long ago but have put on many miles since (over 1k).
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM
SoCali-Z

Originally Posted by rancor
Have you checked the hub for play? I think vibration can loosen lug nuts.
Wouldn't this kind of vibration be noticeable while driving?
Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SoCali-Z
Aftermarket xxr 20 inch rims. I havent changed the lugnuts ever. Im assuming they are what came with the rims as every lug is keyed. I did do a rear brake job not too long ago but have put on many miles since (over 1k).
Do some research on the lug seats for your XXR wheels. If they do not match the type of lug nut you are using, they will never stay tight.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
SoCali-Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
Do some research on the lug seats for your XXR wheels. If they do not match the type of lug nut you are using, they will never stay tight.
How have I gone the past 2 years with out the issue? Surely it would have loosened all the lug nuts on every rim... Not just one rim
Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

It could be that the spindle nut on that corner has come loose. This would allow the wheel itself to lose clamping force.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It could also be that the soft alloy of those wheels has become distorted in the area of the lug nut seats.