Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

What 1/4 mile times to expect with a Procharger... Not a question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:07 PM
whosdady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 1/4 mile times to expect with a Procharger... Not a question!

So those considering a prochager this is what you can expect... I posted in this area only because this question has come up numerous times here and people want to know what this kit is capable of at the track.

I have a 5AT, Stillen exhaust and the ATI prochager and stock 17 inch wheels/tires. The car dynoed at 368RWHP. Tonight was my first time at the track with this car. Earlier in the week I blew an IC hose so I was not boosting all the way to 7psi. Plus I had to manaully shift at about 4.5 rpm becuase the ATI kit and stock ecu programing for the 5AT don't get along. I made a total of 3 passes. It was about 90 degrees outside and no one was making very good passes. I saw a couple other Z's. One had 75 shot, SES exhaust and injen intake. I never got to see him run but a friend said he was hitting high 13's. My first two runs were 13.41 and 13.44 at 103 mph(zero traction). I was pretty happy. I beat a new CL55 AMG and a new SS camero. My last time I lined up against a modified 2003 ZO6. He beat me, but I laid rubber in 1st and 2nd (again zero traction) and ended up with 13.1 at 105 mph. He had a 12.5 at 116mph.

Over all I was very happy. This is easily a low 12 sec car with DR's and 7psi of boost. And will be even faster with a couple other toys. IE cats and plenum.

Mods I understand if you want to move this but I know more people visit this part of the forum. I tried to post this as a what to expect with these mods rather than just a 1/4 time thread.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 PM
myinfinitig20

im dissapointed.. i mean you would expect the mph to increase greatly with that much hp but it stays at 103. Maybe with an ecu modification all will be well.
Thanks for the info
nick
Old 09-10-2003, 12:48 AM
jetjammer

Disappointed?!? I think its great! Did you notice his shift point? 4500rpms, just about where the power starts. Thanks for showing a little sack whosdady! I've been wanting to get mine on the track as well but am waiting for some fine tuning. Once we get past this computer thing with the 5AT, mid 12s wont be a problem. Let's see one of you 6MT Zs get out there.

Speakng of this computer thing, I'm wondering if just an ecu mod/upgrade will be enough for the 5AT. Is there a seperate computer for the tranny?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:42 AM
whosdady

The ECU will do the shift points for the tranny so I think that is all we need jetjammer.

103 not good? Did you know that 5AT is short for an automatic? Incase you didn't know, 5AT's never trap very high. On single turbo Supras they were always 6-8 mph slower in trap speeds than 6MT's. However, 5AT's were .2-.3 seconds quicker.

105 is very respectable. Especially for my first time at the track(with this car) ONLY BOOSTING 5PSI (not 7psi), with a 5AT, with stock, thin, all weather tires that spin all the way through 2nd.

Like I said earlier this is an easy 12 sec car with any of these issues addressed.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:16 AM
jran76

I know on most other Nissan's, the auto tranny has a seperate control (TMU) to set shift points, etc. I think the Z is the same....

I think it has been mentioned in other post that the issue is not with the tranny, but with the timing being adjusted by the ECU at high RPM's. Not sure if that is correct, but it makes sense.

Also, has anybody looked into a valve body upgrade for the auto tranny? This will make for faster shifts, which makes things a little rougher, but it also makes your car faster and causes a lot less wear and tear on the tranny.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:48 AM
D_Nyholm

My cousin had this problem with his E55 when he was spraying (250 shot). He had to use a window switch that shut down the Nitrous before the rev limiter or he would just sit there and bang off of it all day. He ran a 12.5 @ 116 mph with it bouncing off of the limiter in 1st gear and 19" Toyo's.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:04 AM
whosdady

Default Rougher?

What do you mean by rougher? I have heard this before with my Lexus SC400 but I didn't know what people meant by it.

Originally posted by jran76
I know on most other Nissan's, the auto tranny has a seperate control (TMU) to set shift points, etc. I think the Z is the same....

I think it has been mentioned in other post that the issue is not with the tranny, but with the timing being adjusted by the ECU at high RPM's. Not sure if that is correct, but it makes sense.

Also, has anybody looked into a valve body upgrade for the auto tranny? This will make for faster shifts, which makes things a little rougher, but it also makes your car faster and causes a lot less wear and tear on the tranny.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:35 AM
D_Nyholm

What it does is increases the pressure of the shift. Are cars with really heavy duty shift kits, they can literally throw you back in the seat on the shift. They are lightning quick, but uncomfortable on a daily driver. usually a mild shift kit is all you would want on the street (enough to chirp on the 2-3 shift! )
Old 09-10-2003, 11:49 AM
myinfinitig20

my friend has a supercharged viper dynoed at 700whp at 4psi can easily take it up to 8 i believe. Anyways yea everytime he shifts i get thrown back even when im expecting it and fighting the throwback
Old 09-10-2003, 04:04 PM
EgH

Maybe the Z need like 275 rears to get into the 12's if you were somking the tires all the time....
Old 09-11-2003, 01:35 PM
ELESWON

Originally posted by whosdady

103 not good? Did you know that 5AT is short for an automatic? Incase you didn't know, 5AT's never trap very high. On single turbo Supras they were always 6-8 mph slower in trap speeds than 6MT's. However, 5AT's were .2-.3 seconds quicker.

105 is very respectable. Especially for my first time at the track(with this car) ONLY BOOSTING 5PSI (not 7psi), with a 5AT, with stock, thin, all weather tires that spin all the way through 2nd.

Like I said earlier this is an easy 12 sec car with any of these issues addressed.
When i first read the original post, i knew some things didnt add up. 368 rwhp will get you deeeeep in the 12's with the somewhat heavier Fbody, tranny regardless. But if your not on full boost, and short shifting about 2k rpms, then that makes sense. I should think very strong 12's wont be a problem. And the auto vs manual thing, thats every car. LS1's have about the same differential, with the manual cars having ~2mph trap speed, the autos ~.3 et advantage, respectively. On the overall, from an outside (non-350Z owner that is) perspective, im quite impressed how these cars are responding to boost. The N2O Z's havent really shown me much from what ive read. And i can tell you from knowing about 4 people with ATIs on Fbodies, you got a damn good product with damn good people behind it. Get you some tires and get your tuning worked out, that car will see deep 12's at 110 or more, thats my guess. Keep us posted. Peace.

PS, Forget the kick-*** shift kits (mild is much much easier on the tranny) and see whos making a STALL CONVERTER for that thing. That alone will give you nearly 1/2 second in the 1/4, no bs.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:30 PM
JamRWS6

I'm just shocked a 368 rwhp car can only trap 105mph.......somthing is not right. Were you shortshifting ?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 PM
PhantomZ

Yes, he was in fact...shortshifting..
Old 09-16-2003, 08:36 AM
whosdady

Yes I short shifted at 4.5RPM. All autos with the ATI under full boost have to short shift until the tranny issues are resolved.

I did speak with JWT today and there is no sure date on the tranny fix (: It looks like it could be a while. As far as the ECU is concerned that shold come out in the near future.

After speaking with JWT I learned that we need a separte tranny fix and that the ECU upgrade will not help us shift better.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Mean Gene

Lightbulb Tranny Stuff

I just got a response to my E-mail to Level 10 & they can do a convertor restall & strengthen for $498 plus they offer a $698 valve modification similar to the one Rod Millen does for the Lexus which offers quicker shifts via higher line pressure. In fact, Level 10 advised me that if I supercharge my G35 that I'll NEED these mods sooner or later. BTW - they just those mods on an FX45 so they have some Infiniti/Nissan tranny experience.

Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-22-2003 at 12:12 PM.