Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Long time Z owner. First time Z33 Owner (SoCal)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Godfoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long time Z owner. First time Z33 Owner (SoCal)

Hey Guys!

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm new to the Z33 world, I've always had S30 and Z32s. I moved to SoCal last year and needed a daily driver, and seeing as how it doesn't snow, I bought a Z33. '05. But that's enough about me, Let's get to the pics. Sorry She's not super modded yet, but I get her one part a week, so all in good time.

Day One:

Current Setup:

She's coming along, more parts are in store for her. I look forward to getting to know you all!!! Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the z33, got any pics of your old z cars?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase. I'd be curious about what you think of the Z33 vs. the style and performance of your S30 and Z32.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Congrats on your new purchase. I'd be curious about what you think of the Z33 vs. the style and performance of your S30 and Z32.
Not to derail OP's thread but.... S30 wins styling, hands down. It's a timeless classic. But that's it.... Z33 - IMO - beats S30 in everything else, most significantly, stock v. stock performance. But...it should.... 25 years separate Gen 1 and Gen 5. Heh heh. Heck, Z32 is stylistically superior to the Z33 as well.

But I love my "ugly duckling" Z33s and Z34.

Oh, and welcome aboard OP! Nice ride!

Mic
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Godfoot

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Not to derail OP's thread but.... S30 wins styling, hands down. It's a timeless classic. But that's it.... Z33 - IMO - beats S30 in everything else, most significantly, stock v. stock performance. But...it should.... 25 years separate Gen 1 and Gen 5. Heh heh. Heck, Z32 is stylistically superior to the Z33 as well.

But I love my "ugly duckling" Z33s and Z34.

Oh, and welcome aboard OP! Nice ride!

Mic
It's ok, I can stand a little derailment. Truthfully I love all Z's regardless of generation. It's a good thing i'm not wealthy or I'd have a lot of cars in street parking. LOL
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Godfoot

Originally Posted by bith8791
Congrats on the z33, got any pics of your old z cars?
Why yes I do!!

Some of the pictures aren't very good, I apologize for the quality

My '71

My '73

My '78

My '90

My RHD '94 (I still have this one)

There's also an '83 280ZX that I owned for a couple days before it got stolen, but I never took any pictures of it. It was a little "rough" though. lol
Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Godfoot

Originally Posted by dkmura
Honestly it's hard to compare one of them against the other, because I loved each one of them for different reasons.

But you know I may put together a review of my thoughts on the Z cars I've owned. Should I do that on this thread? Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 PM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! Very nice collection of Z's you have. Nice job thus far with the Z33, looks very clean! As someone looking to build an S30 in the future, I'd love to read your thoughts on all the Z cars you own/have owned. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by ChriZTT
Welcome! Very nice collection of Z's you have.
+1...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, Godfoot, really nice collection of de Z cahs.... but I wanna know a little more about these "inadvertent" sitings....

Hmmmmm?????

Some additional automotive "oooohs and ahhhhs"! Definitely sees me some more "Type-N" blood and a little vintage Camaro in the mix, ya?

Swooooooooooon....
Old 05-26-2015, 06:56 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Looking good, GF!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Godfoot

Thanks so much for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate that.

OK, Godfoot, really nice collection of de Z cahs.... but I wanna know a little more about these "inadvertent" sitings....

Hmmmmm?????

Some additional automotive "oooohs and ahhhhs"! Definitely sees me some more "Type-N" blood and a little vintage Camaro in the mix, ya?

Swooooooooooon....
Originally Posted by jhc
Looking good, GF!

Haha your eyes are very Keen sir. The car in the last pic is indeed a Camaro, it's a '67 RS/SS Convertible that my Father and I restored together when I was a kid. It's a 350 Crate Motor, 4spd Muncie with a B&M Shifter, and 4:11 Gears in the rear end. Full Coilovers and disc brakes. It was a labor of love and many years. lol

I sadly don't seem to have any pictures of it handy.

The Second Picture was my old CRP '06 M45S I loved that car to death and it was such a pile of junk. I've had 7 or so Infiniti's in my lifetime, and had hoped that car would live up to the name. It did NOT. I owned the car for six years and in that six years I had to replace the entire engine assembly 4 times. Spun bearing, thrown rod, dropped valve, and oil consumption. It was awful. It spent more time on a lift than it did in my garage. If you ever get a Y50, Get a M35. lol

Here's one picture of that one.

And the first picture, is or was, my old R34. It has a very long and drawn out tale revolving around how I got it and it's life with me. But in the end, Emissions requirements and the long list of parts it needed from Japan resulted in me selling it to a friend that had more money in exchange for cash and a MKIV Supra. I loved the car dearly, I still miss it, but it did free up a huge hole in my wallet. I'll put up a couple pics for you just so you don't have to ask later lol

Pictured with my old '06 G35X Sedan

Old 05-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Godfoot

Welcome! Very nice collection of Z's you have. Nice job thus far with the Z33, looks very clean! As someone looking to build an S30 in the future, I'd love to read your thoughts on all the Z cars you own/have owned. Looking forward to it!
I'd be happy to share some of my opinions.

My first Z was my '71 I got it in Los Angeles in 2006. I still lived in Chicago at the time. I actually flew to LA, and Drove the car across country. Which was fantastic. I highly recommend you do this at least once in your life, even if it is in a hire car. I really got to know the car over those 3 days of straight driving, and was very much impressed. Where as it lacks most of the creature comforts that we are used to in newer cars, it really makes up for that by being a real drivers car. The steering, while manual, is responsive and easy to manage at speed. It gets light in the front at high speeds, but that is easily corrected with a good air dam and some proper suspension. The engine has plenty of low end torque and revs to the heavens. I honestly think it is one of the best cars I've ever driven or owned, and I've has quite a few cars in my lifetime.

The 280Z to me was really no different as far as driving and enjoyment was concerned. There were minor aesthetic differences, I honestly didn't like the shape of the dashboard as much, and the vents in the hood were great for getting the engine wet, but it performed like a Z. Smooth, Strong, and Fast. My 280 was a little worn out in the bushings so it didn't hold the road as well as my 240 did, but that was a side affect of her age and being all original. Unlike my 240 that had all its bushings upgraded. The fuel injection was nice, but honestly I preferred the carbureted setup, it is much easier to dial in and maintain. I still feel that the simplicity of the 240 was what kept me from really loving the 280 completely. A flathead screwdriver could fix the 240, the 280 took more detailed work.

I only got to drive the 280ZX once before it got stolen, so I didn't get a chance to even get to know it.

my first Z32 was the RHD TT 2+2 that I still have today. I love it to death. There are few cars that I have enjoyed driving as much as my Z32. I had it at the same time as my R34 and honestly, I drove the Z 10 time for ever 1 time I drove the R34. It's one of those cars, where nothing is a heartache. If it gets a scuff or a ding, it builds character, if it doesn't run right, it's fairly simple to figure out why. Granted turning a wrench on it usually results with the kind of mood that makes you want to . But pushing through it really results in high rewards. There's a real sense of accomplishment in driving a well maintained Z32, because you know how much work you had to put into it to keep it that way. Gives you a real sense of pride. It is still one of my favorite cars and I'm glad I still have it.

My Second Z32 was a bit of a bucket. It ran hot, the suspension was in bad shape, it was really rusty, and the interior was not in good shape. I liked it a lot, but it paled in comparison to it's RHD sister. This Z really solidified for me the importance of proper maintenance. I had replaced any cracked hose, or bad bushing or rusty bolt on my RHD Z, but this car, had never had that kind of love and attention, so when I got it, the difference was immediately apparent, and striking. It was alarming to drive it at highway speeds, it would sway and bounce, and regularly start to smell of coolant. It needed a lot of work. Being that is was N/A as opposed to TT, the lack of power was noticeable, but honestly not as missed as I would have expected. It was a more genuine powerband. The TT Plows, it's like getting punched in the chest when boost hits, which is awesome don't get me wrong. The N/A was smoother, it was much easier to live with around town. I will say though, the lack of maintenance that car had suffered from was a huge hinderance, and eventually prompted her sale.

Please Maintain Your Z!!!

When I moved to California, I had to have a car, money was tight, so I actually had purchased and '87 5-spd 200SX hatchback to drive so I could get to and from work. That was another car that had probably never set a single tire in a repair shop. So needless to say it didn't last long before it's health became a serious problem.

Enter Z33. I needed another car, but I didn't want just any old car. I am living in a place where it doesn't snow and I don't need AWD or an SUV, getting a Z was my only choice. Finding a clean Z was a challenge amazingly enough in a land where cars don't rust. Guess people don't maintain them as much out here as issues are not as obvious when they don't rust. So I started looking at Z33s. After spending a few weeks looking for one in Stick, which was a real pain by the way, I found one and snatched it up. The previous owner had traded it in on a 370Z and it had been kept up to date on maintenance it's entire life. It was a no brainer.

Honestly speaking, I was expecting to hate it. Because of what Z's had always been to me, and also partially because of some raunchy people I had known that had them. I had a really bad opinion of the Z33. I've had her now for a little over 6 months and I will say it is a true Z. It drives more like my old 240Z than my Z32 does. It is a serious contender for one of the best cars I have ever driven. It's a true Drivers car. The interior is uncluttered, but not too plain. It's snug, but not too tight. It feels really centered around you as a driver. It's quick on the uptake and is wonderfully flingable. I'm so glad I bought it. My favorite part about the car though, is that where as most cars of it's age have so many sensors and electronics, the Z33 doesn't. It's simple, nothing freaks out when you take a hard turn. It doesn't tell you to contact the dealer when you do a doughnut. It doesn't gripe or complain when you put wider tires on it. It really feels like a Z. They hit the nail on the head with this one. Don't let the riced ones with the Douche-b drivers fool you, it's a wonderful car. I'm so so happy with her.

So that's my two cents on all my Z cars. I love them all, each for their own reasons and in their own way. But above all as long as they are well cared for, they will stay a Z for generations.

One last part, to review them in the ways of a pistol.

240Z - Single action revolver. Always works, faithful, easy to maintain
280Z - Double action revolver. Just like a single action, but fires easier and is a little tougher to maintain
280ZX - In my case, an empty holster.
300ZX - A Beretta 92, Trusty always fires true when maintained, but does jam on occasion. much more difficult to work on.
350Z - A Glock always fires, no matter what, no matter where, straight and true, easier to maintain than a beretta, and almost simpler like a revolver.

Sorry for dragging on, but I hope this was insightful. Love your Z like you would want it to love you!! Here's a picture so it's not as boring!

Last edited by Godfoot; 05-26-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Godfoot

I also thought I'd share that I had a photoshoot for my Z with a very talented and awesome photographer known as johanclicks. Check him out on Instagram at @johanclicks. He really rocked it. Love the results, so here's a couple to share with you guys!!

Johanclicks took these awsome pictures in just a few hours, mad props and ALL The credit goes to him!!! Thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
ChriZTT

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Now that's a post!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and insightful overview on your experience with the many iterations of the Z platform. I really enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Godfoot

Wow! Now that's a post!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and insightful overview on your experience with the many iterations of the Z platform. I really enjoyed reading it.
No Problem!! I'm glad to share my knowledge and experience. If any of it can help someone for the better, Then I'm glad to tell my stories. Also please feel free to share them if there's anyone else that may benefit from them. I'm always glad to be of help to the Z community.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Awesome read!

Nice to see that my blood type (Type-N....for Nissan) is available should I need to be transfused. Haha.

I'd regale the gang with stories about all of my Nissans (and other cars like the E55, Infin Q45, Volvos, etc) but I don't have a few hours and wouldn't know where to start... my hot rod days or right when I converted to Datsuns (after getting spanked by an S30 going through some curves.)

Long live the Z!

Mic
Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Godfoot

Awesome read!

Nice to see that my blood type (Type-N....for Nissan) is available should I need to be transfused. Haha.

I'd regale the gang with stories about all of my Nissans (and other cars like the E55, Infin Q45, Volvos, etc) but I don't have a few hours and wouldn't know where to start... my hot rod days or right when I converted to Datsuns (after getting spanked by an S30 going through some curves.)

Long live the Z!

Mic
Yes Sir it is! I'm always happy to donate Type-N blood for those in need. I know what you mean, I'm the same way, I could prattle on for hours about my various cars and experiences. But I too feel that at a certain point, I'd start putting people to sleep!

I'm glad it was a good read for you. That was the shortest I could make it while still trying to include some valuable insight into my Z's I could easily expand to other cars though!

Thanks for the Warm reception!

Also Mic, I noticed you are from NorCal, I'm down here in SoCal, did you make it to Zday in Pismo?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have owned (or still own) some awesome cars!

With the R32 being legal to import in most states, a lot of people don't realize how much money it takes to keep those GTRs running. I would like to own an R32/R33/R34 but right now isn't the time in my life to be dumping wads of cash into a toy like that. It is cool that you got to own one of those stateside.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Godfoot

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
You have owned (or still own) some awesome cars!

With the R32 being legal to import in most states, a lot of people don't realize how much money it takes to keep those GTRs running. I would like to own an R32/R33/R34 but right now isn't the time in my life to be dumping wads of cash into a toy like that. It is cool that you got to own one of those stateside.
Thank You Sir!!

You are very correct, It does indeed take, what some might consider, a small fortune to keep an older GT-R maintained an on the road. I would venture to say that I probably spent more in the 6 years of ownership, on parts and maintenance, than some people spend on cars bought throughout their lifetime. Eventually, It just got to be too much. Plus the wait time for parts was excessive. 6 months for a window motor assembly for example. I just decided it was time for her to go to someone with more money. I do consider myself very fortunate to have had one. It was a long time dream that I never thought could come true. I miss her very much and very often. But, she's on to greener pastures now, I hope. I will say though, If you are going to buy one, wrap your wallet in gold heat tape to prevent it from catching fire.