Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ProEFI Knock Control Video

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professi.../1/7P9874GRMmc

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professi.../0/kToek26wbXg

Note: You must have a ProEFI 128 for knock control!!

Last edited by SoundPerformance; 01-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

(Invalid user-name)

Videos not working.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professi.../1/7P9874GRMmc

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Professi.../0/kToek26wbXg

Note: You must have a ProEFI 128 for knock control!!
What? Has this always been the case? Isn't nearly the entire installed base for the ProEFI on the Z/G platform on the 48 units?

Originally Posted by GTM
Thanks for the reponse! So the Lvl I unit does not include a wideband controller correct? (or it does but its external?)

As far as the knock detection, how confident are you guys in it being able to advance timing to the most optimum threshold, especially in the higher RPMs, I just figure with so many different engines out there, especially the built engines, they are all going to sound a little different. Usually the OEM knock control is for safety and not optimum for peak performance.

Very interested in the development of this unit!

Thanks again,

-George
GT Motorsports

I am 100% confident. This computer utilizes the latest knock detection strategies available (same as OEM). The key to this is two things. First it looks for a certain frequency on the sensor determined by your engine dimensions. Secondly and most importantly it looks for knock at the correct times. By this I mean there is only a very small window of opportunity for a cylinder to knock on its compression stroke. The computer monitors the sensor only during this time period and if knock is present it knows exactly which cylinder knocked and will retard that cylinder. By utilizing these strategies the computer can filter out what is knock and what is loose piston noise, open wastegate noise etc.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by rcdash; 01-27-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

kinda like you need 500$+ worth of sensors to make the 48pin unit do that neat E85 fuel monitoring.

I would guess that all the 48 pin guys already knew they couldnt actively control knock though. Haltech doesnt do active knock control either, correct? Funny how that 700$ UTEC is the only EMS under 2500$ with active knock control.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-27-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by str8dum1
kinda like you need 500$+ worth of sensors to make the 48pin unit do that neat E85 fuel monitoring.

I would guess that all the 48 pin guys already knew they couldnt actively control knock though. Haltech doesnt do active knock control either, correct? Funny how that 700$ UTEC is the only EMS under 2500$ with active knock control.

No, the only difference on the 48 box for flex fuel is the $199 unit that converts the frequency output to the analog output.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by rcdash
What? Has this always been the case? Isn't nearly the entire installed base for the ProEFI on the Z/G platform on the 48 units?

Yes, it has always been the case. 48 units do not have knock inputs, never have had them.

For what the 128 system costs, (starts at $2500ish) no other system offers anywhere near the features. Hell a motec system gets you for an additional $2500 to add knock control!! And theirs is NO WHERE near as sophisticated as the ProEFI. Combine this with trac control, boost control, adaptive learning, launch control, meth control etc and the ProEFI 128 is a bargain. Every supra system that I sell is a 128 unit!!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude. video links not working :0(
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Try it now, weird as that link worked yesterday!! Sorry!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
rcdash

Hey man, I need to teach you about your own EMS! It takes time on a DD dyno to tune this properly so make sure you get Sharif to do it...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
rcdash

Yes, it has always been the case. 48 units do not have knock inputs, never have had them.

For what the 128 system costs, (starts at $2500ish) no other system offers anywhere near the features. Hell a motec system gets you for an additional $2500 to add knock control!! And theirs is NO WHERE near as sophisticated as the ProEFI. Combine this with trac control, boost control, adaptive learning, launch control, meth control etc and the ProEFI 128 is a bargain. Every supra system that I sell is a 128 unit!!
That's interesting considering how much knock control was hyped up in the original discussion thread. The only contention I've ever had with the ProEFI has been the deceptive marketing practices (whether it was intentional or unintentional). I wonder how many current ProEFI 48 users knew that the unit never even had knock detection, let alone control? Why couldn't all the ProEFI discussion clearly separate the features of the 128 and the features of the 48 units so that the consumer could make an informed choice? Elaborating on the features of the 128 unit and then promoting the 48 unit because of its low price is just wrong.

Last edited by rcdash; 01-27-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
str8dum1

i knew it monitored the knock sensor....
excellent!

I forgot that any non-flex fuel car would need that 370$ sender, my bad...

We know you sell 128's for the Supra's, so how come its not the one getting sold majorly for the VQ's since its has alot of critical functionality.

Hey man, I need to teach you about your own EMS! It takes time on a DD dyno to tune this properly so make sure you get Sharif to do it...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

i knew it monitored the knock sensor....
excellent!

I forgot that any non-flex fuel car would need that 370$ sender, my bad...

We know you sell 128's for the Supra's, so how come its not the one getting sold majorly for the VQ's since its has alot of critical functionality.

I really do not know exactly why the 48 unit was pushed more than the 128 for the Z. I suspect it was a pricing thing. It seems that the Z guys freak out when you tell them an EMS system is $2800 and the supra guys dont. Maybe they are just used to paying alot for things!! That combined with the fact that supra guys can add the proefi system by itself to their already turbocharged car while the Z guys are adding it to a build of engine, fuel turbo kit etc. If that makes any sense!!

Other than knock control, the only other thing you really can't do with the 48 unit is the wheel speed traction control although it will be able to as soon as Jason gets the can input to read off the factory can signal.

No other EMS's out there have knock control that is anywhere near the sophistication of the ProEFI. Most are just noise monitors with no frequency or time based monitoring at all. Systems like that (AEM, Haltech etc) without frequency filtering, have too much background noise to see small or moderate amounts of knock at all. And any loud drivetrain noise can set them off as knock too.

I really like knock control when it works as it should. Unfortunately other than the Motec and the ProEFI systems, none of the knock control out there is very good at all. For those systems always tune on the conservative side!!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
rcdash

I really do not know exactly why the 48 unit was pushed more than the 128 for the Z. I suspect it was a pricing thing. It seems that the Z guys freak out when you tell them an EMS system is $2800 and the supra guys dont. Maybe they are just used to paying alot for things!! That combined with the fact that supra guys can add the proefi system by itself to their already turbocharged car while the Z guys are adding it to a build of engine, fuel turbo kit etc. If that makes any sense!!

Other than knock control, the only other thing you really can't do with the 48 unit is the wheel speed traction control although it will be able to as soon as Jason gets the can input to read off the factory can signal.

No other EMS's out there have knock control that is anywhere near the sophistication of the ProEFI. Most are just noise monitors with no frequency or time based monitoring at all. Systems like that (AEM, Haltech etc) without frequency filtering, have too much background noise to see small or moderate amounts of knock at all. And any loud drivetrain noise can set them off as knock too.

I really like knock control when it works as it should. Unfortunately other than the Motec and the ProEFI systems, none of the knock control out there is very good at all. For those systems always tune on the conservative side!!
The 128 unit is nicely matched for the Z/G - no question about it. All the marketing "irregularities" aside, the videos are excellent and informative and the 128 unit does really look impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Your comment about tuning conservative for "those systems" with "noise control" rather than true knock control is a bit off target though since even Jason said you should NOT tune to the point of knock and you should NOT rely on the ProEFI's knock control to allow that practice (since knock has to occur in order for it to be detected and damage may occur regardless of the EMS attempts to mitigate it).

What can the end user tuning software adjust for knock control? It comes ready for the stock VQ engine? I guess I should ask first, does the end user software work for the 128?

Last edited by rcdash; 01-27-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
1ZweetZ

That's interesting considering how much knock control was hyped up in the original discussion thread. The only contention I've ever had with the ProEFI has been the deceptive marketing practices (whether it was intentional or unintentional). I wonder how many current ProEFI 48 users knew that the unit never even had knock detection, let alone control? Why couldn't all the ProEFI discussion clearly separate the features of the 128 and the features of the 48 units so that the consumer could make an informed choice? Elaborating on the features of the 128 unit and then promoting the 48 unit because of its low price is just wrong.
What is your deal? Are you incapable of going on ProEFI's website and READING the feature list that is there for BILLIONS of people to read? When you pull out the Sunday paper and look through the ad's, what is listed in the ad's? The most expensive fully loaded stuff? Or the least expensive most affordable stuff? No one is hiding anything, you are just oblivious to reality.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
str8dum1

yup, nice list there
http://www.proefi.com/productlist_pro128ecu.php

alot of pro128 info for the G/Z also
http://www.proefi.com/proefiresults.php

granted 2800$ is alot of money on top of building your car. That's a good explanation. Being a dealer, is that what you find even after you explain the differences between the 2. I mean active knock control is pretty crucial for most builds. Whats an extra 800 bucks on a 30k bill

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-27-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
rcdash

^ +1, seriously. The amount of useful information is overwhelming. LOL.

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
What is your deal? Are you incapable of going on ProEFI's website and READING the feature list that is there for BILLIONS of people to read? When you pull out the Sunday paper and look through the ad's, what is listed in the ad's? The most expensive fully loaded stuff? Or the least expensive most affordable stuff? No one is hiding anything, you are just oblivious to reality.
It's called bait and switch. The tactic is reprehensible.

I've probably spent more time reading about the ProEFI than any of your users or would be proponents (except maybe Larry and Tom!). Those guys seem to be the only ones with integrity that post in support of the ProEFI. At least Larry provides facts and straight answers to questions. You have been added to my ignore list (along with Jorge and Eric, so don't bother directing a reply to me).

Last edited by rcdash; 01-27-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
1ZweetZ

I've probably spent more time reading about the ProEFI than any of your users or would be proponents (except maybe Larry). That man seems to be the only one with integrity that posts in support of the ProEFI. At least he provides facts and straight answers to questions. You have been added to my ignore list (along with Jorge and Eric, so don't bother directing a reply to me).
So when you read the specs on something people are talking about, you think that they are "baiting" you and "switching" you. It's more like you lack the ability to do any research yourself about a product, and go off the cuff. It's no ones fault but your own that you don't ask the right people your questions, so don't blame it on ProEFI. Another flaw in your plan....no one was "switched" in this "bate and switch" "Scheme".

Last edited by 1ZweetZ; 01-27-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
thom000001

All I can tell you about the 48box as a customer is this.....Larry tuned it, I get in the car and start it (like its stock), and drive the hell out of the car, and it acts just like its stock....well except for that slight whistle and the added 600HP

So like I've said before, from a driver standpoint I love that the car acts purely stock.

All the bells and whistles....well thats why my tuner is 20min away

Tom

I've probably spent more time reading about the ProEFI than any of your users or would be proponents (except maybe Larry). That man seems to be the only one with integrity that posts in support of the ProEFI. At least he provides facts and straight answers to questions. You have been added to my ignore list (along with Jorge and Eric, so don't bother directing a reply to me).
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
thom000001

Larry,
The vids remind me of something I learned in college (yes studying engineering)

CAN'T SPELL GEEK WITHOUT DOUBLE E!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by thom000001
All I can tell you about the 48box as a customer is this.....Larry tuned it, I get in the car and start it (like its stock), and drive the hell out of the car, and it acts just like its stock....well except for that slight whistle and the added 600HP

So like I've said before, from a driver standpoint I love that the car acts purely stock.

All the bells and whistles....well thats why my tuner is 20min away

Tom
...and that means a lot in such a high powered car. I corrected my post. Both you and Larry tell it like it is based on your own personal experience without responding defensively or resorting to personal attacks. Thank you for that.

And Larry, thanks for the reply to the PM - talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: New ProEFI Knock Control Video