Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech owners--how do you clean the oil jet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:08 AM
gersteinp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortech owners--how do you clean the oil jet?

I'm curious how people are cleaning the oil jet that inserts into the Vortech blower. It's supposed to be cleaned out with each 3000 mile oil change. The manual says to use high pressure air but this isn't practical for most of us. With the two oil changes I've done so far, the oil jet has appeared clean as a whistle. Are you guys soaking it in solvent, blowing it out or just leaving it alone?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:09 PM
booger

I never worried much about it . Its always been clean when Ive looked at it . I just hit it with the air hose . Soaking it in solvent would'nt hurt any thing , if your wanting to make sure its clean
Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 PM
backagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i have over 20k miles on my vortech, haven't even looked at it , is this needed ?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 PM
backagain

Default vortech owners, bov and air fuel question

Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 AM
gersteinp

According to both Vortech and Avalon Racing from whom I purchased my Vortech, cleaning the nozzle every 3000 miles is essential. The nozzle is very narrow in ID and has a screen to catch debris. Even a tiny piece of grit can clog it leading to immediate and catastrophic failure of the blower which requires constant spraying of oil on its bearings. The manual says to blow it out with compressed air. I don't have an air compressor and was wondering how else people were cleaning it--or at all. Mine has been perfectly clean for over 6000 miles.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:05 PM
kevinapex

Man, I didn't even see a screen in the supply oil line, I just reinstalled the whole unit with the S-Trim impeller upgrade....
Where the hell is the screen?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 PM
gersteinp

There's a very fine screen that you can see in the base sitting on the entry to the narrow nozzle part. This is the thing that needs to be cleaned. Be sure it's there.

If the nozzle has anything in it, it's already too late. I've never seen any crap on the screen doing every 3K oil changes, but I suppose some crud could get on there from a failing oil filter.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
neffster

Can anyone post a picture of this piece. I've read this needs to be done but I skipped this step for my first oil change. Most people seem to be ignoring this step, but I'd rather do it and be safe myself.

TIA for the photo.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 PM
GlenRoseFireFighter

Originally Posted by backagain
wow, i have over 20k miles on my vortech, haven't even looked at it , is this needed ?
+1 16,000miles
Old 10-25-2005, 06:07 PM
gersteinp

The nozzle screws into the driver's side base of the blower and is accessible only via the left front wheel well. The steel braided oil feed line connects to it. When you back it out of the blower its about 1 1/2 inches long--pointed at the inside end where the oil sprays out from a tiny orifice. Inside the end to which the oil feed line is connected is a very fine mesh screen. You're supposed to clean it out with every 3K oil change or the blower warranty is voided. There's no picture of it in the manual but on page 2 of the "Street Supercharger System Owners Manual" that Vortech provides with the kit, section 4 describes the maintenance procedure on the oil inlet nozzle. You can also get this short manual on the Vortech website as an Adobe Acrobat download.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:25 AM
GlenRoseFireFighter

Originally Posted by gersteinp
The nozzle screws into the driver's side base of the blower and is accessible only via the left front wheel well. The steel braided oil feed line connects to it. When you back it out of the blower its about 1 1/2 inches long--pointed at the inside end where the oil sprays out from a tiny orifice. Inside the end to which the oil feed line is connected is a very fine mesh screen. You're supposed to clean it out with every 3K oil change or the blower warranty is voided. There's no picture of it in the manual but on page 2 of the "Street Supercharger System Owners Manual" that Vortech provides with the kit, section 4 describes the maintenance procedure on the oil inlet nozzle. You can also get this short manual on the Vortech website as an Adobe Acrobat download.
Paul,

Can you use an arrow to show the approx location of this in the engine bay? Good find, BTW.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
gersteinp

I don't have a ready picture, but this is what you have to do:

Jack up the car on the driver's side front (not ramps) so the wheel hangs down and out of the way. Remove the front driver's side fender shield (several snap connectors and some bolts to the front bumper and engine gravel shield, and 2 or 3 screws into the fender itself).

When the shield is removed the blower and the oil feed line will be easily accessible and visible. BTW--this is the best way to clean or change the air filter in a G35c. Unscrew the oil feed line and adapter (I think) from the nozzle going into the blower and hang upright in the wheel area so oil doesn't drip out. The nozzle then screws out so you can clean it. Replace everthing without overtightening. Hopefully, you've already done your oil change so you can now start the car and look for any leaks before replacing the fender shield. This is very easy to do but a bit tedious because of all the snap connectors and bolts.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
GlenRoseFireFighter

Jack up the car on the driver's side front (not ramps) so the wheel hangs down and out of the way. Remove the front driver's side fender shield (several snap connectors and some bolts to the front bumper and engine gravel shield, and 2 or 3 screws into the fender itself).

When the shield is removed the blower and the oil feed line will be easily accessible and visible. BTW--this is the best way to clean or change the air filter in a G35c. Unscrew the oil feed line and adapter (I think) from the nozzle going into the blower and hang upright in the wheel area so oil doesn't drip out. The nozzle then screws out so you can clean it. Replace everthing without overtightening. Hopefully, you've already done your oil change so you can now start the car and look for any leaks before replacing the fender shield. This is very easy to do but a bit tedious because of all the snap connectors and bolts.
thank you for your detailed and alway appreciated response, Paul.

-Randy
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 PM
gersteinp

You're always welcome, Randy.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Brando

"When the shield is removed the blower and the oil feed line will be easily accessible and visible. BTW--this is the best way to clean or change the air filter in a G35c"

Actually....I think that this mod is the easiest way to clean / change the air filter....painless.
Attached Thumbnails Vortech owners--how do you clean the oil jet?-airfilter.jpg  
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
booger

Very good discription...I've actully taken the whole blower out from the wheel area
Old 10-26-2005, 02:21 PM
neffster

Awesome. I'm going to bookmark this post for sure.

Terry, quit copying me.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
prescience

Originally Posted by neffster
Awesome. I'm going to bookmark this post for sure.
I already have
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
gersteinp

Originally Posted by oldvfrguy
"When the shield is removed the blower and the oil feed line will be easily accessible and visible. BTW--this is the best way to clean or change the air filter in a G35c"

Actually....I think that this mod is the easiest way to clean / change the air filter....painless.
Looks kind of drastic. Any worries about water getting onto the filter and into the intake--that is, in a rainstorm or car wash?

Last edited by gersteinp; 10-26-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Brando

Cool

Looks kind of drastic. Any worries about water getting onto the filter and into the intake--that is, in a rainstorm or car wash?

Drastic????

It is not even very noticeable....just a small cut out on the top piece.

No worries....the filter still very protected and is oil coated so it wouldn't matter.