Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dynoed my NA Z over the weekend:

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 AM
DrVolkl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynoed my NA Z over the weekend:

Ended up with 259hp and 247tq. I only did two runs, and these #'s are from the 2nd run. These cars have a really flat curve...

Runs done in 5th gear.

Here are my mods:

JWT Pop charger
Crawford Plenum
UR pullies
Kinetix test pipes
Greddy Evo II exhaust

Pretty good #'s for not having headers, cams or ECU reflash I must say.

Oh, and I should mention that my Z is a 2003 Performace edition, #2363 off the assembly line...she's one of the 1st batch, but running strong.

Last edited by DrVolkl; 05-23-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
350dgrz

Good numbers...Where did you do it? Cost?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by 350dgrz
Good numbers...Where did you do it? Cost?

Z car club of Washington had a dyno day up in Marysville. It was 3 runs for $55. I only did 2 since I wasn't tuning or anything. There were some nice Z's there...a couple 300's were pumping over 400hp to the wheels.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Integrity
Banned

Any idea what kind of Dyno they used?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you get any a/f #'s? Also do you have all 3 pullies or just the crank pulley? We have very similar mods, except I only have a crank pulley and I have an ecu, Im at 262 whp 252 ft lbs, if your a/f is way off, I highly recommend a reflash it did 10 whp for me....was this a dynojet ?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
GQ 350z

Wow, damn good numbers. Did you reset the ecu when you dynoed? Also, what gear did you dyno in.

I'm impressed.

ravi
Old 05-23-2005, 10:33 AM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by Alberto
Did you get any a/f #'s? Also do you have all 3 pullies or just the crank pulley? We have very similar mods, except I only have a crank pulley and I have an ecu, Im at 262 whp 252 ft lbs, if your a/f is way off, I highly recommend a reflash it did 10 whp for me....was this a dynojet ?
No, I didn't get any a/f #'s...at least I don't think I did. It was a dynojet with one big fan in the front....it was basically get on it, two runs, get off it..next!

I have all 3 pullies...

Runs in 5th gear (I think I stated that)

And I've never reset my ECU...I've been thinking about the TS reflash for quite some time...now I have a baseline, so I imagine now's the time to do it.

Pic of my buddies 300...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

We have very similiar set-ups, you have slighlty more power than me before the tune but you have 2 extra pullies. I suggest you get a dyno with a/f taken - then decide if you need a reflash or not. Your ecu may have taken the mods well, every car is different. The worst off your a/f is the better the gains, I see guys reflash when they have decent a/f's then they wonder why they spent $600 on 3 whp lol...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
dlt1cy

I don't mean to jack your thread, but does anyone know what 221whp on a mustang dyno equates to on a dynojet? I just had mine dynoed with borla,pop,crank pulley, and aam spacer. Oh, and it's an AT5.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by dlt1cy
I don't mean to jack your thread, but does anyone know what 221whp on a mustang dyno equates to on a dynojet? I just had mine dynoed with borla,pop,crank pulley, and aam spacer. Oh, and it's an AT5.
Id say 230-240, just a guess
Old 05-23-2005, 02:23 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

259/247 <-- Good #'s, would've been very close to my guess for the upgrades you've got. Good choices on bang for buck mods. You're at a nice NA peak w/o having the ECU tune.

IMO, headers won't show any significant gains at this point without cams. I second Alberto's opinion on getting a A/F plotted and tune with a flash (if needed).
Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by zxsaint
259/247 <-- Good #'s, would've been very close to my guess for the upgrades you've got. Good choices on bang for buck mods. You're at a nice NA peak w/o having the ECU tune.

IMO, headers won't show any significant gains at this point without cams. I second Alberto's opinion on getting a A/F plotted and tune with a flash (if needed).
Thanks...I'm very happy with the #'s...I try to do my research before buying..lol

So how does one get an A/F plotted? Is that also on a dyno? These guys didn't even ask me to...so I'm not sure if they don't know what they're doing, or were just trying to get people thru as quick as possible.

I keep going back and forth with the TS reflash, I've had the form filled out on my desk for over 3 months. If it'll give me ~10hp, I'd jump on it...but I guess without that AF graph, I won't know...
Old 05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
GQ 350z

DrVolkl,

Thanks for your information, I sped through the post and missed that part. After you put your Greddy Exhuast on, did your butt dyno tell you anything?

ravi
Old 05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by zxsaint
IMO, headers won't show any significant gains at this point without cams.
+1 I see tons of guys with similar mods to me plus headers more than half the time they make less power, and rarely make more power-usually right around me. I also believe a Z with stock cams will not see significant gains with headers-I see people claiming 20+ whp, NO WAY, they prolly got an SAE corrected baseline went back and got the new #'s and used STD correction-most of the guys that see big gains from headers without cams dont seem to know much about their dyno's or had unusually low baselines-ex 225 whp on a dynojet. Anyways...

So how does one get an A/F plotted? Is that also on a dyno? These guys didn't even ask me to...so I'm not sure if they don't know what they're doing, or were just trying to get people thru as quick as possible.
Most places with a dynojet will offer a wideband 02 sensor reading. Its a small bung that is connected to a wideband 02 sensor that goes into your tailpipe, as you dyno it plots your air fuel ratio along with your whp. Ask the place were you dyno'd if they offer a wideband, if not go to another dynojet. You ideally would want around 13.1 a/f all the way across, but 12.8:1-13.5:1 imo would be ok, and in no need of a reflash. I was over 15.1 lean thats why I got the ecu, I saw 10 whp 12 ft lbs, because my car was so out of tune. Im now at 13.1 a/f all the way across the board. Re-dyno your car, post the results and we can help you decide if an ecu would be worth your time/money....
Old 05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
DrVolkl

Originally Posted by Alberto
STD correction-most of the guys that see big gains from headers without cams dont seem to know much about their dyno's or had unusually low baselines-ex 225 whp on a dynojet. Anyways...

got the ecu, I saw 10 whp 12 ft lbs, because my car was so out of tune. Im now at 13.1 a/f all the way across the board. Re-dyno your car, post the results and we can help you decide if an ecu would be worth your time/money....
Yeah, I've seen that a lot with some of the claimed HP gains..people have a baseline of 220 and then put on a plenum and they're at 240...which is what I thought baseline was.

I imagine another dyno is a heck of alot cheaper than the reflash...I'll do the wideband next time. I wonder why they didn't do it this time...hmmm...seems simple enough. I'll look at my dyno sheet again and see if there's any readings anywhere.

As for the greddy evo II and the butt dyno...I'd have to say yeah...I felt it. But then again I think I've felt every mod. I think that's more a head game than anything else.