Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is buying an Auto vs 6speed a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 AM
bkanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is buying an Auto vs 6speed a joke?

Has anyone driven a 350Z in both auto & 6speed?

How much would I be missing out on by buying an Auto?

Your thoughts are apprciated
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Miko

If anything, you'll be missing out on a 6MT if you bought the auto.
Seriously though, 6MT all the way. I can't speak for miles of stop & go, but i'm sure its no fun in the manual. But with okay traffic, 6MT is no problem.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
tlewis

Most people on this board will flame you on the thought of an auto Z. All of my cars have been manual shift until the Z. I purchased my Z with 14K miles and got such a good deal on it, I overlooked it being an auto. Sometimes I wish it were th 6sp, but manytimes (in traffic) I'm really glad I have the auto. It's still really fast, and in the manual mode I can still select the correct gear. It takes some getting used to...but you really don't miss out on much.

I'm sure there are only few people with stick shifts that can shift faster than the auto tranny. It all depends on what's best for your needs. Is is going to be a daily driver? Do you sit in traffic frequently? Do plan on racing/tracking your car? Don't let anyone decide for you, or flame you... Do what is best for you and be happy with it.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
bkanic

Default By the Way, I read the "Top 100 questions"

By the Way, I read the "Top 100 questions"
I'm looking for futher opinions
Old 07-19-2006, 08:03 AM
bkanic

Originally Posted by tlewis
Most people on this board will flame you on the thought of an auto Z. All of my cars have been manual shift until the Z. I purchased my Z with 14K miles and got such a good deal on it, I overlooked it being an auto. Sometimes I wish it were th 6sp, but manytimes (in traffic) I'm really glad I have the auto. It's still really fast, and in the manual mode I can still select the correct gear. It takes some getting used to...but you really don't miss out on much.

I'm sure there are only few people with stick shifts that can shift faster than the auto tranny. It all depends on what's best for your needs. Is is going to be a daily driver? Do you sit in traffic frequently? Do plan on racing/tracking your car? Don't let anyone decide for you, or flame you... Do what is best for you and be happy with it.
Funny thing is, I feel embarresed cause I don't drive stick. But the pressure to get stick is so emense from everyone.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
NewJerZ

As many will say, If you are going to buy a straight-up REAL Sportscar like a Z, then go with the 6 Speed Manual....If you can't drive manual, learn how to....takes time to master, but the benefits are well worth it!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
bkanic

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
As many will say, If you are going to buy a straight-up REAL Sportscar like a Z, then go with the 6 Speed Manual....If you can't drive manual, learn how to....takes time to master, but the benefits are well worth it!
See.....that's why I keep hearing. Is it safe to learn on the 350Z?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
maxpowers

I have the 6mt and wouldn't part with it but the auto guys will tell you that if your going with big horsepower, an auto will provide you with better acceleration due to gearing etc.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Miko

You can't mess the car up terribly by learning unless you burn the hell out of the clutch. You just gotta get it rolling from 1st and you're good to go. In a week or two It'll be so natural.
Drive with someone who knows how to drive stick and watch how they drive a stick..you can almost replicate the same and just get the idea. But really, it will be simple in matter of days. Downshifting and revmatching, etc, might take a bit longer, but the bulk of driving you'll be doing the first few weeks is what you'll master first anyways.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:19 AM
NewJerZ

IMO..The Z is very forgiving and fairly easy for someone to "learn on"...If you plan on buying it ASAP, then sure why not?

However, if you're buying it later on down the road, I'd say learn on a patient friend or family member's manual tranny car OR maybe even attend a driving school.

I learned on an old 1980 Datsun B-210 with a super-long truck-like shift throw....I could drive ANY manual after learning on dat sucker...lemme tell ya! LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Rule of thumb: Never buy a sports car in an auto tranny. Save the auto trannies for sedans and daily drivers.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 AM
NewJerZ

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vo7848
Rule of thumb: Never buy a sports car in an auto tranny. Save the auto trannies for sedans and daily drivers.
+1,000,000,0000,0000 Hell Yeah!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 AM
bkanic

Thumbs up Good Input so far

IMO..The Z is very forgiving and fairly easy for someone to "learn on"...If you plan on buying it ASAP, then sure why not?

However, if you're buying it later on down the road, I'd say learn on a patient friend or family member's manual tranny car OR maybe even attend a driving school.

I learned on an old 1980 Datsun B-210 with a super-long truck-like shift throw....I could drive ANY manual after learning on dat sucker...lemme tell ya! LOL
I have that option too. Good point
Old 07-19-2006, 08:27 AM
GMZ

Ive had both a 5AT and a 6MT Z. First one was DB and I always regretted not getting a stick, so I got the stick as soon as one became available and I loooove it! Even traffic! This is my first manual car that Ive owned also.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 AM
mg350ZR

... learn on a patient friend or family member's manual tranny car OR maybe even attend a driving school. ...
Another option for learning to drive a stick is to rent a car with a manual for a day. Might as well burn the clutch on a rental instead of on your (or friend's/relative's) car.

Also, agree with the opinions above regarding manual. Although it is not absolutely essential, and Z will drive well with AT, I think driving a sports car such as the Z will definitely be much more fun with a manual transmission.

That's my . Bottom line is you have to decide for yourself and get what works better for you.

Additional opinions on this topic can be found in this previous discussion thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....manual+mg350zr
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkanic
See.....that's why I keep hearing. Is it safe to learn on the 350Z?

I learned how to drive stick for the first time on my Z in January!! I just had my cousin take it out of the dealership back to his house, showed it off to his family then he said "hey i got some things i gotta do...your on your own. my reaction was " But before I left he showed me the fundamentals and I took it from there, learned how to balance on an incline in 1 day
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 AM
NewJerZ

Originally Posted by mg350ZR
Another option for learning to drive a stick is to rent a car with a manual for a day. Might as well burn the clutch on a rental instead of on your (or friend's/relative's) car.
Good luck finding an Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, or ANY Car Rental Place that has Manual Tranny cars....Here on the Northeast Area, I've NEVER been able to rent a stick....Maybe the Exotic Car Rental places have them, ain't worth spending $300.00 a day to learn stick though, IMO..LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a g35 in auto before my 350 in 6mt. In traffic I kinda dont like the 6mt. But it gives you something to do and also makes you more in control of the car as well. 6mt all the way. It also makes you feel like youre going faster. Maybe cause you are going faster. lol
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

I drove both before getting my manual. personally the manual seems quite a bit faster than the auto. I was getting a great deal on the auto, but couldnt bring myself to do it. I couldnt be happier my manual choice.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by bkanic
Has anyone driven a 350Z in both auto & 6speed?

How much would I be missing out on by buying an Auto?

Your thoughts are apprciated

If you really want to enjoy autoX, tight twisties, and the feeling of control go with the 6MT.

Quick Reply: Is buying an Auto vs 6speed a joke?