Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

stick vs automatic and the hp loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 09:51 PM
bigtul4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick vs automatic and the hp loss

ok, so i am getting a little old and lazy so i went with the touring automatic. now, what am i going to lose in terms of performance....................1/4 mile ect.? also, i am told the automatics come with some form of ability to shift manually.......................please explain if you know what this is. with age, come $$ sometimes, so i guess i can always supercharge to make up for the loss of manual performance and still keep it real convenient in busy orlando traffic.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 AM
bigtul4u

TBA
Old 06-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Stailey

Originally posted by exsilio
Or SMG on the new M3...I love mine....super fast and totally awesome! Click click dbl clutch down...very nice.
Explain that one 2 me....
Old 06-17-2002, 11:07 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just think of it in terms of fun factor... and it'll vary depending on the person.

I never liked manuals until I started practicing. I'm still doing crappy, but I'm happy to get the car moving -IF i do it slowly.

It was a hard decision to make, so I decided to go for manual hoping I won't kick myself regretting it if I chose an auto.

I personally don't care what's faster... but I think it's easier to upgrade with a manual - considering this car will be my hobby car.

I can't blame ya... I'm lazy too, that's why I haven't practiced.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Phi-1002-

This is wierd but I'll tell the story...

Last night I had an unusual dream. My mom was test driving a Chevy Cavalier. I know... YUCK!

I was like, "Mom this car is crap you drive something else." Then I got in it and it had a SMG similar to the BMW M3's and all of these digital readouts like tire pressures and such and I took it for a drive and bought one for myself.

Then I woke up and I was like, "Where the F*#@ did that dream come from?" Then I went back to sleep hoping for better dreams.

I haven't read about or seen any BMW SMG stuff for awhile. I am a wierdo!
Old 06-18-2002, 01:35 AM
rai

My experience tells me that you will lose about 0.5 sec 0-60 and 0.6 sec 1/4 mile. This is just an estimate. If you care a lot about performance this is reason enough to get the manual. For me a more important reason is the fun to drive factor. The manual gives you control and involvement you don't get with an auto. I have driven automatics with so called manual mode and they are about as much fun as heart attack (not fun at all). In fact my passat has a tiptronic automatic and I used it only about five times in 3 years.

As for one post saying automatics are getting better and better that might be true, but to give an example like the AMG that does not even offer a manual misses the point completly. Sure the auto is quick, but with that much torque and HP you can afford to lose 10%. Also they don't offer a manual to compair against

Last I don't see driving a manual as something you have to work at or practice. Just drive the thing and you'll get better, soon you won't even think about it, it will become second nature.

BTW I wish nissan would offer a SMG this is not an automatic but can be driven like one and could end up being fun to drive, but I don't think as much fun as a true manual.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:47 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by rai
I have driven automatics with so called manual mode and they are about as much fun as heart attack (not fun at all). In fact my passat has a tiptronic automatic and I used it only about five times in 3 years. . . .
Last I don't see driving a manual as something you have to work at or practice. Just drive the thing and you'll get better, soon you won't even think about it, it will become second nature.
COMPLETELY AGREE. Triptonic is like riding a bike with training wheels. Also, I don't agree with the people who claim an automatic is necessary for city driving. I commute in Washington D.C. thru some of the worst traffic any where, and I don't even notice the manual transmission. Also one final point ... with a manual, I coast a great deal during city driving which is saving wear and tear on my engine which you can't do with an automatic.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:29 AM
Zmeflyby

the good thing about autos is dat u dont have to worry about the changin the clutch if it gets worned out or need a better clutch to hold more power. other den that manuals are hella fun to drive.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:12 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by Phi-1002-
This is wierd but I'll tell the story...

Last night I had an unusual dream. My mom was test driving a Chevy Cavalier. I know... YUCK!

I was like, "Mom this car is crap you drive something else." Then I got in it and it had a SMG similar to the BMW M3's and all of these digital readouts like tire pressures and such and I took it for a drive and bought one for myself.

Then I woke up and I was like, "Where the F*#@ did that dream come from?" Then I went back to sleep hoping for better dreams.

I haven't read about or seen any BMW SMG stuff for awhile. I am a wierdo!
Drugs are bad, very bad.... If domestics get that good imagine what the imports will be making.... good thoughts
Old 06-19-2002, 05:42 AM
kevintari

Originally posted by VQracer
Or F1 style buttons
I have buttons on my A4, they're fun! Still prefer a manual though...