Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I hate cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004 | 10:17 AM
zpylot

Default I hate cell phones

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I got side swiped by an axxhole that ran a red light because he was talking on his cell phone.

I had been stopped at a stop light. I was third in line. The light turned green and I was following the two cars in front of me through the intersection. As I got into the intersection I looked to my left and at that time got hit. He hit the rear drivers side tire. The convertible top was up. I was stunned for about 10 seconds. The car was stalled in the intersection and I was pointed back the direction I came from. I pulled the car over and parked. I felt a warm liquid running down my neck. The impact made my head hit the hinge on the convertible top. I've got three stitches in my head. CHP responded since there was blood (they only respond for blood or alcohol). I had a pedestrian come up to the car and say "that guy totally ran the red light." So I've got a witness. It was a very busy intersection and not one of the other cars around me pulled over to help. Only the guy walking came over to see if I was ok. What a sad society this is when nobody will offer a hand.

Not sure if the car is fixable. I really love it but if the frame is bent I sure don't want it back. I have noticed many cars going down the road sideways when following behind them. I don't want that.

So the morale of the story is put that d_mn cell phone down when driving. If you really think you are important enough that you need a cell phone pull over to the side of the road if you get a call. California needs to outlaw cell phones. I don't own one and never will.
Attached Thumbnails I hate cell phones-my350zr.jpg  
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:24 AM
manofsteele2003

Doesn't look that bad, maybe a bent control arm and a hub. Anyways hope everything works out for you and take that guy for all he's worth. Make sure to take pictures of your injuries to show the lawyers.
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:31 AM
marhot

Sorry, man, sad story.

My only thought is don’t blame the cell phone. The idiot could have hit you even if he hadn’t been on a phone. There are plenty of morons out there that don’t pay attention when they drive. After being on this site for over a year and a half I’ve seen Zs being hit by all types of morons not paying attention.

My personal pet peeve is SUV drivers. I’ve had the most near misses with little soccer moms in their monster SUVs that can’t see over the steering wheel; much less see my little Z next to them.

That being said I agree cell phones CAN be a distraction; just like drinking a Big Gulp, putting on make-up, or having your stereo cranked up so loud your eyeballs vibrates.

Again, sorry. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004 | 10:44 AM
soupnazi1

It's good to hear you're okay.

Did they get license number of that jackass?
Old 11-27-2004 | 11:15 AM
Low J.
Banned

yeah, if you're an idiot and can't talk and drive at the same time then you shouldn't be driving at all. As for me, talking on a cell (with a headset) and driving is no problem. This whole push to ban cell phones while driving is ridiculous. By that same logic you'd have to outlaw car stereos, CD players, and passengers.
Old 11-27-2004 | 11:46 AM
n8vz

New York was good about outlawing handheld cellphone on the road. Hands free device (e.g. headset) are legal. I wish CA would do the same.
Old 11-27-2004 | 12:36 PM
FLZ

Sorry to hear about the wack....But they ought to at least make a law so you can only use them hands-free while driving.......Here's a shot of mine.....Can't imagine being without nowadays, Dave

Last edited by FLZ; 11-27-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2004 | 01:03 PM
zpylot

That's what I was trying to say but my emotions got the better of me. I realize they cannot be outlawed totally, but some measures have to be put in place for the idiots that think they can successfully split their attention.

I am a pilot and I am so thankful that it's not as easy to get a Pilot's license as it is to get a drivers license.

Originally posted by n8vz
New York was good about outlawing handheld cellphone on the road. Hands free device (e.g. headset) are legal. I wish CA would do the same.
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:02 PM
FLZ

Default ease?

Originally posted by zpylot
That's what I was trying to say but my emotions got the better of me. I realize they cannot be outlawed totally, but some measures have to be put in place for the idiots that think they can successfully split their attention.

I am a pilot and I am so thankful that it's not as easy to get a Pilot's license as it is to get a drivers license.
I don't know, 12-14 hours before my first solo.......that was'nt very long......and what's the age minimum? 14? I am impressed by the industries extreme care though, not like the automobiles industry casualness.....
Old 11-27-2004 | 02:46 PM
Janus

I've seen people with ear pieces cause accidents.

Its not holding the phone to your head that is the main problem with cell phones, its the fact that people concentrate on the conversation over the road.

Another problem is that about half the people on the road don't really know how to drive. Last I checked, a driver's license is a priveledge, not a right. So why is it so freaking easy to get a driver's license?

I say, change the test so that you need a 90 or above to pass, not a 70+. Heck even a perfect. If you can't ace the driver's test I don't want you on the road putting my life at risk. I don't mess around with my life.

No matter how safe I am, it doesn't make a damn difference. It is how safe other people are. And personally, I don't like depending on other people to be safe.

This is an excellent example. Zpylot was driving within the letter of safety. Yet despite him being responsible, no matter how safe he drove, that accident would of still happened.

People hate calling me in the car (something I try to promote =P) because I'll just drop the phone and ignore them or tell them to hold or call me back later.

P.S. yeah I'm bitter, I got T-Boned in septermber by a kid who was trying to catch up to his friends. He made a left turn INTO ONCOMMING TRAFFIC into the side of my car. It was 3pm, with no obstructions to his view of oncomming traffic. He just plain didn't care because he wanted to catch up to his friends who had made a left just prior to him.
Old 11-27-2004 | 04:40 PM
FLZ

Originally posted by Janus
I've seen people with ear pieces cause accidents.

Its not holding the phone to your head that is the main problem with cell phones, its the fact that people concentrate on the conversation over the road.

Another problem is that about half the people on the road don't really know how to drive. Last I checked, a driver's license is a priveledge, not a right. So why is it so freaking easy to get a driver's license?

I say, change the test so that you need a 90 or above to pass, not a 70+. Heck even a perfect. If you can't ace the driver's test I don't want you on the road putting my life at risk. I don't mess around with my life.

No matter how safe I am, it doesn't make a damn difference. It is how safe other people are. And personally, I don't like depending on other people to be safe.

This is an excellent example. Zpylot was driving within the letter of safety. Yet despite him being responsible, no matter how safe he drove, that accident would of still happened.

People hate calling me in the car (something I try to promote =P) because I'll just drop the phone and ignore them or tell them to hold or call me back later.

P.S. yeah I'm bitter, I got T-Boned in septermber by a kid who was trying to catch up to his friends. He made a left turn INTO ONCOMMING TRAFFIC into the side of my car. It was 3pm, with no obstructions to his view of oncomming traffic. He just plain didn't care because he wanted to catch up to his friends who had made a left just prior to him.
I find the key word you said was, "kid".......I can't believe I'm turning into my folks but, I think 18 should be min age req......Can't wait for the responses....yeah right......
Old 11-27-2004 | 04:57 PM
xray2

Good thing you're ok. But honestly hands-free is a bigger problem then just holding it. At least with one hand in use, it makes you aware you're talking otherwise you zone out talking into the air.

It's not my opinion but driver-study fact that conversation is a huge distraction.
Old 11-27-2004 | 06:24 PM
Janus

Ok ok, he was 19... but if you live with your mom, don't work, go to high school, and lastly, are totally irresponsible, you are a kid to me. Even though I'm only 25.

FLZ Wrote:
I find the key word you said was, "kid".......I can't believe I'm turning into my folks but, I think 18 should be min age req......Can't wait for the responses....yeah right......

xray2 Wrote:
It's not my opinion but driver-study fact that conversation is a huge distraction.
I concur! I think the cell phone laws are silly, when we already have a law for it! Its called "Reckless Endangerment". It also covers things like:

Reading books/newspapers/magazines while driving,
Watching a Television Show/Movie while driving,
Talking excessively with friends while driving,
Dealing with children in back seats while driving,
Shaving/Applying makeup while driving,

All of these things are already covered...
Old 11-27-2004 | 07:21 PM
Neo105

i totally agree with all of you, hands-free calling should be the only legal way to call over there with you guys too...

Here in Holland we have that law for 2 years or so (Time flies doesn't it?) and when they even THINK you were using your telephone without hands-free you get a fine of 140 euro's which is about $ 160,- or so...

But on the other hand, i also think that it's best if you do not use your cellular phone AT ALL when driving, because though hands-free is an option, it still distracts your attention from the road, but i think that the combination of the 2 (keeping your phone clamped between your shoulder and your head, and having a conversation at the same time ) is still alot more dangerous because then you won't be able to look into your blind spot or mirrors, or even forget about both...
Old 11-28-2004 | 05:37 AM
Primaltone

I agree with zpylot. I'd be one giant hypocrite if I said I NEVER used my cell while driving, but I really try to avoid it. If someone outlawed it, I wouldn't be that upset.

People talking on cell's while driving are especially dangerous to bikers. I've had people look right through me and pull in front of me anyway. I know this can happen with our without the cell, but I've noticed it more with the cell. I've observed that if someone is weaving, changing speed erratically, or just driving like a moron, there's a 75% chance they've got a cell attached to their ear. I vow that if I ever get hit (regardless of what I'm riding/driving) I'll make sure the perpetrator has to have surgery to remove their phone, that is, if I'm still alive.
Old 11-28-2004 | 07:02 AM
Neo105

People talking on cell's while driving are especially dangerous to bikers.
+2
Old 11-28-2004 | 08:03 AM
350black

Default Re: ease?

Originally posted by FLZ
I don't know, 12-14 hours before my first solo.......that was'nt very long......and what's the age minimum? 14? I am impressed by the industries extreme care though, not like the automobiles industry casualness.....
Age min to solo is 16. 17 to get your Pilots liscense.

I personally will not solo any of my students until they have about 35 hours.
Old 11-28-2004 | 11:11 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran
Premier Member

If people call me while I am driving I just answer and say..."Can't talk...call you back in 5 minutes." *Hang Up* Never fails. :-)
Old 11-28-2004 | 03:13 PM
ensmuns

Oh man that had to hurt.

A few days ago, a base cop rear ended me because he failed to pay attention (whether he was on the phone, I don't know). I felt like I was going to punch the guy's lights out when I got out of my car. Even though it was a few scratches and a feather dent, I still flipped out. So I can imagine what you are going through.

On the light side, at least you have Quadra-Steer on one side...
Old 11-29-2004 | 05:42 AM
350maxima

I had a similar incident through an intersection. A girl hit my Maxima in the passenger rear tire b/c she "didn't see the red light". She was honest enough to say she was just zoned out and didn't see me or the light.

I had to replace the dogleg in the 1/4 panel, the door, and the axle as it bent the **** out of it. Luckily the rim was ok.

Quick Reply: I hate cell phones