Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How I filmed the most exclusive Ferrari event in the country...using my 350Z!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
syf0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I filmed the most exclusive Ferrari event in the country...using my 350Z!

I know there are a lot of scuderia fans in the ranks here, myself included. I guess I should start out by saying that, in addition to being a 350Z owner and Z club member, I am also a member of of the Ferrari club -- although not an owner, most of my friends in Louisiana own them, and so I am often to be found riding or driving in an Italian car of some variety.

I generally try not to mix my discussions about these types of cars, as in my experience talking Ferraris with Nissan guys makes you come off like a *****, and vice versa (in some respect). However, I thought this post would be appropriate as I'm sure some of the folks here would find it interesting, or at least mildly amusing

The long and the short of it is that I'm the media or marketing director for the Ferrari Club of Louisiana, which means I handle gruntwork involving marketing material and advertisements, websites, etc. The more interesting part is that I coordinate the effort to film (actually its video, so there's no film involved) the annual Ferrari event held in New Orleans, the French Quarter Classic. I also go to art school for a degree related to film, video, and broadcast design, so it is a pretty even match.

At any rate, one of our problems this year was finding a solution to stable, clear, highspeed video on the road and track. Since a lot of these cars are travelling between 100 and 150MPH when we are filming them, the solution I devised was to somehow affix a VERY rigid camera rigging to a car, to which we could bolt cameras and operate them remotely. After about 8 months of planning and production, the final solution was a rigid-frame tube steel camera mount that bolts (yes, bolts) in the body of my Z, without any additional or permanent modification to the car. Here it is, by the way, without anything attatched to it:

At this point I'll thank the only person who requires thanking in this venture -- dear old dad. Dad is an engineer, and he can weld, and if he hadn't the brain and the skill to work my concept into a solid piece of metal, I'd be up **** creek without a paddle.

In short, the camera mounting system is a 1"x1" tube steel bar system which fits through the windows (the windows are down, ~56"), runs back the length of the car (~53"), and bolts into the same holes used by my NISMO spoiler. It also secures inside the car via tie-downs. This way no additional drilling is necessary. Although some pieces do bolt together, the back section is completely welded for additional rigidity. This in addition to a small set of shocks and some felt padding (which reduces vibration and protects the paint) make for a pretty solid setup. On the track, there is an amazing amount of lateral rigidity for something only connected at four points.

Enough writing, here are some photos:

As you can see in the photos, the rig lets us bolt cameras anywhere on the car (there we have one on the rear mounted high, and one by the passenger's side window), and features a sort of rise in the back which allows for extra height for better angles while filming.

I'm sure some of you are wondering how a 350Z compares to a Ferrari on the road or track, and honestly the answer is better than you might think. There's obviously no comparison in regards to build quality, and most of the current cars are a completely ridiculous comparison, but considering that many of the cars at our event are older, and many others are owned by people who have never been to a driving school, it is surprisingly easy to keep up, especially in the turns.

I have compiled a small video clip which shows the Z on the track while I was filming the pace car, a 360 Challenge car fitted with police lights that is driven on the street. Please don't redistribute this video, as I have made it strictly for members of this forum who might be interested. Also note that the video requires the xvid codec for playback.

350Z Camera Vehicle (Save Target As)
48sec @ 5.6MB (360x240)

In addition to that video, here is the official trailer for the movie, which will be released in the spring. Actually, the trailer isn't even released yet -- so you're getting a sneak peak. It should be very easy for you to recognize which scenes were filmed from the back of the Z -- anything filmed from directly in front of the cars on the road or track.

Some notes...
-the official site for the movie (URL is listed at the end of the trailer) isn't live yet.
-this video also required the xvid plugin I linked to above.

French Quarter Frenzy 2 Trailer (LOW RESOLUTION) (Save Target As)
1:08sec @ 10.1MB (360x240)

French Quarter Frenzy 2 Trailer (HIGH RESOLUTION) (Save Target As)
1:08sec @ 19.5MB (720x480)

Lastly, if you are interested in the event, I urge you to check out the event website. I've put some cool photos from the event there. That's it! Hope it was an enjoyable read
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This deserves a sticky for a little while.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:08 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I want to be there for FQF3!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Sr. Panza

Talk about taking your responsibilities serioulsy. Great job.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
dnguyent

Thank you very much for those videos!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Conceyted

damn im sorry i missed it richard! :-/ awesome footage
Old 12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
BigMoeTaki42

That's an great job! Is there the nothing the 350z can't do?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Pilot_Z

WHoa...!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by Conceyted
damn im sorry i missed it richard! :-/ awesome footage
Originally posted by dave079
Yeah me too!!! I couldnt get off damn work that day!
Talk is cheap...get off work next year! I'm officially telling you a year ahead of time... NOVEMBER 4TH, 2005! BE THERE!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 AM
theguykevin

cool...i havent seen the video yet cuz i am in school...
i will watch it after school...=)
Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
roydiculous

damn that's sweet. Did your dad think about mounting it to the passenger and driver's seat mounting bolts? That might have worked too...

But looks sweet your Z looks hot!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:10 PM
zillinois

Thumbs up

Nice!!! Thanks for the post.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Jaki

Awesome.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 PM
fdao

Old 12-08-2004, 02:09 PM
2003z

Richard, I don't get teh video, just the audio. Is there a codec I can download?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
SB Track

Awesome.. Someday I want either a Modena or a Carrera GT3.

Awesome set up though.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Gary King

That made my day. Thank you for that post.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:03 PM
homiusang

Thumbs up

nice video....looking forward for more
Old 12-08-2004, 07:14 PM
MacGuru

Nice work! Looks like it was fun keeping up with them! -m

Quick Reply: How I filmed the most exclusive Ferrari event in the country...using my 350Z!