Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Suddenly shifting into 3rd feels a little weird.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 09:28 PM
koolzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly shifting into 3rd feels a little weird.

It pains me to post this as I kept hoping that whatever this is would go away. It started on Monday 11/04/02. I've got approx 1350 miles on the car.

When I start off from a dead stop and go from 1st -> 2nd -> then into 3rd gear I feel this extra little click only occasionaly when I shift into 3rd gear. It's very subtle hardly noticable, I was just wondering if anyone has this.

Thanks,

Kevin

p.s. I was trying to recreate it by going from fourth back into third it doesn't. I tried to see if It only occured when I was going up to a high RPM but it didn't seem to occur when I tried that.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:31 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps the revs are off and synchros are working hard?

wild shot in the dark, have you grinded the gears at all, or done anything else that might be a cause?

is it a problem? or just an extra click? does it give extra resistance to that gear and cause misshifts?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:49 AM
koolzero

I've never grinded a gear, it's not a problem it doesn't make it difficult to shift, there isn't any extra resistance. I guess it's nothing major.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:50 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

i have the same problem ever since i got the car, and worst. the shifter is very stiff , and not only on 3rd gear but 2nd and 1st as well. Usually takes 2 clicks before i get into gear, especially if i'm on high rmp. i only grind my gears once because of this problem, i couldn't get into 2nd right, but it was only a split sec. i also tested some other cars at the dealer with much higher vin #s, they were much smoother. this past monday, i took my car to the service center, the tech couldnt' find anyproblem after 10 min of driving, although this is the first Z he ever driven before. Anyhow i'm trying to contact NNA about this problem, hopefully they can find a fix soon.

ps. i think this problem only happens with low vin number cars, maybe under 1000? my vin is 450.
there is couple other guys on this board have the same problem as well.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:00 AM
joeandcarol2

Originally posted by mysteriumZ
i have the same problem ever since i got the car, and worst. the shifter is very stiff , and not only on 3rd gear but 2nd and 1st as well. Usually takes 2 clicks before i get into gear, especially if i'm on high rmp. i only grind my gears once because of this problem, i couldn't get into 2nd right, but it was only a split sec. i also tested some other cars at the dealer with much higher vin #s, they were much smoother. this past monday, i took my car to the service center, the tech couldnt' find anyproblem after 10 min of driving, although this is the first Z he ever driven before. Anyhow i'm trying to contact NNA about this problem, hopefully they can find a fix soon.

ps. i think this problem only happens with low vin number cars, maybe under 1000? my vin is 450.
there is couple other guys on this board have the same problem as well.
Its clear there are some early production problems with the 6MT. Extra clicks and resistance detract from the driving pleasure. Dont let Nissan off the hook.