Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving the Z in N.C ( RTP )

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM
WickedKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the Z in N.C ( RTP )

I am getting a 05z in about a week that I ordered 3 months ago not knowing that I am going to be moving to RTP( ed of this month) from Cali... The Z is going to be my only car...so my question is does it snow out in RTP? How bad are the winters? am i going to need snow tires? or Chains? Coming form Cali i dont know too much about snow since it never really snows out here in the bay area.....
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM
rgcarmack14

Default Re: Driving the Z in N.C ( RTP )

Originally posted by WickedKE
I am getting a 05z in about a week that I ordered 3 months ago not knowing that I am going to be moving to RTP( ed of this month) from Cali... The Z is going to be my only car...so my question is does it snow out in RTP? How bad are the winters? am i going to need snow tires? or Chains? Coming form Cali i dont know too much about snow since it never really snows out here in the bay area.....
I live in a town about an hour south of the RTP and snow is rarely an issue here. We may get an inch here and there but we just don't have alot of bad weather like that. Schools generally close at the mention of the word so you should be okay. It has been 65 to 70 degrees all week this week and I have loved using my sunroof. Good luck in your move and welcome!

Robin
Old 01-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Low J.
Banned

yep, I live in RTP actually and the above is about right. We get a bit more rain on average then out there but being able to afford a house more than makes up for it. Lots of my coworkers from SJ move here because they can get twice the house for 1/3rd of the price. Welcome!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 AM
andycapp

Yeah the weather out here is nice enough to not worry about getting in trouble with snow. I think I only left the Z in the garage 3-4 days in the last year because of snow/ice. Usually we will get one good hit of snow or ice every other year and in that case you might need to hold off driving the Z for a couple of days. You won't need to go anywhere anyway, because like rgcarmack14 said everything will shut down.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:08 AM
arlingtonz

my parents live in NC, and i have rarely ever had a time where i had to worry about taking my z home or getting around when i was in NC. don't worry...you will be fine with Z in NC.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
WickedKE

Thanks guys for the info! I am looking forward to my move =)
Old 01-07-2005, 05:58 PM
obd

Hey, I live in Chapel Hill (thats right you damn Wolfpack abd Blue Devils!!!!!). The weather is generally nice.......and UNC-CH has the hottest women on the planet!!!!! I used to live out in Santa Monica too so I know what I'm talking about!

the RTP does get some bad snowstorms on occassion though.....Im sure you all remmember the massive ice storm years back That was nuts! Then there was that huge snow storm. Really its not nearly as bad as Amherst, Mass (where I also used to live) but the RTP area doesnt have the snow clearing equipement so when we do get nailed typically EVERYTHING gets shut down.

So far though we have only had a flurry or two and its already Janurary!!! Good sign.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:00 PM
obd

Moving from Cali to NC is a bit of a culture shock though. It took me awhile to get used to it after years in Santa Monica. I still miss LA but really I would never live there again. I have actually grown to really like Chapel Hill. Lots of hot girls, relaxed kinda town, good jobs..........pretty damn nice place!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
WickedKE

Chapel Hill ? That sounds familar is that around Cisco?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Low J.
Banned

Chapel Hill ? That sounds familar is that around Cisco?

Chapel Hill is where UNC (University of North Carolina Tarheels) is located. Cisco is right in RTP about a mile down the street from my house actually.....makes the commute very easy
Old 01-07-2005, 11:49 PM
RedShft

ok, ive lived in NC for 16 years and i dont know WTF RTP is??? someone clue me in here. is it the RDU area...the Triad? im confused. but im in Charlotte, grew up in Greenville (ECU) and like everyone else said, we get one maybe TWO good hits of snow/ice a year and thats it. but we just had an ice storm around Xmas weekend and i had to drive back home to Charlotte in it from G'ville. really it was only from G'ville to Raliegh where there was ice, but it SUCKED VERY BADLY driving the Z in it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 PM
RedShft

ohhhhhhhh wait...Reasearch Triangle Park....RTP???? am i right?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally posted by RedShft
ohhhhhhhh wait...Reasearch Triangle Park....RTP???? am i right?

you got it
Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 PM
WickedKE

Originally posted by Low J.
Chapel Hill is where UNC (University of North Carolina Tarheels) is located. Cisco is right in RTP about a mile down the street from my house actually.....makes the commute very easy
Your at Cisco? Coo! I'll be looking out for your car!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Lonerider

I'm in Chapel Hill too. Maybe I'll see you guys around!

WickedKE
Like the others said, the inclement weather should not be a problem around here. We'll probably get a little something around the end of Jan or in Feb. but its usually nothing to serious.

Welcome to the area!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Low J.
Banned

cool....maybe I can get you to come to our monthly car meets....so far I'm the only Z that shows up. We had 35 people there last night and all different kinds of cars....we had a great time.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:39 PM
bhobson333

Welcome to the Triangle area. (Triangle = Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Research Triangle Park is right in the middle. I work for IBM, just a mile or two from Cisco.

Please check out Triangle Z Club

We're an active, fun club with an emphasis on track events.

Let me know when you arrive; I'll be happy to help you in your transition to the area.

Brian
Old 01-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Low J.
Banned

oh hell yeah.....I smell some lunchtime trips to Carolina Auto Spa (carwash) in your future

Also be sure to check out the regional forum since that's where you'll probably see any kind of NC specific stuff posted like meets, clubs, events, etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/south-east-33/
Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 PM
WickedKE

Thanks guys!

I am looking forward to my move....Change it up a little.... I'll be sure to sign up for the club when i get out there. Auto Spa sounds good....your going to have to tell me where the good ones are.....Now the only thing is i gotta get an Apt. within a week
Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Low J.
Banned

Thanks guys!

I am looking forward to my move....Change it up a little.... I'll be sure to sign up for the club when i get out there. Auto Spa sounds good....your going to have to tell me where the good ones are.....Now the only thing is i gotta get an Apt. within a week

there's a nice complex really close to work that I lived in while my house was being finished and they give discounts to us as employees so if you want any info just let me know.