2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z to evo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It launches very well. If you go to the track you find the HARDEST part is the launch.

trying to get your 60' time to 2.0 is a challenge where as these guys can hit 1.6 pretty easily I believe. The AWD doesnt spin like the RWD does (that was my problem).

This is also why you hear that they are not such tough competition from a roll, they dont have the launch advantage.

Plus, any vehicle that comes with forced induction is generally cheaper to modify since you can just turn up the boost.

I think if I were to point out the best bang for the buck new car, modifable vehicle, it would be the WRX, since just add a pully for the Turbo, and it gains quite a bit of power... I think like 40-50HP (and thats less than the cost of an exhaust). EVO and STI can get 400+ HP pretty cheaply (maybe 8 grand, I guess), wheras you have to spend 15 grand to do that on a Z

Still there are downides.... most people think the Z looks nicer, I know I do.. and realistically, that does matter a lot. Also, resale value counts, I believe realse is better for the Z. Cost of ownership is better for the Z, also reliability... the launching abilities of the AWD cars really takes a toll on the clutch and axles, and can cost serious bucks over time (or so I have heard).

Still, the EVO and STI have 4 doors, which at times, would be nice (for those of us without a second vehicle, I just use my wifes car for those times).

So you just have to ask yourself is it right for you? If you are upset because the EVO is faster, well... you have a big problem, because if you sell your Z, and lose 4 or 5 grand and buy and EVO, then guess what, the C5, C6, C6 Z06, Viper, Cobra, Next Gen Evo, 07 Skyline, whatever else comes out.... will be FASTER

You cannot win the FASTER FASTER race.

First time at the track I saw a POS old 5.0 Mustang FUGLY running <9 seconds. Sounded like the sky had opened and Zeus himself threw a huge thunderclap straight at my head the damned thing was so loud...

And it probably cost all of 10 grand to do it.

So, you cant go by whats the fastest, each car has its advantages...

I dont think I need to list the disadvantages of the Mustang, lets just say it only made one run that night, and was brought in on a flat bed, where as I drove home, and had lots of cute girls staring at my car as I filled the tires back up with air.

Thats why I dont drive a 5.0 mustang even though its MUCH faster.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, I actually think the dodge SRT's are a good value for modding too - cheap cars, cheap parts, lots of power, lots of smiling in your neon
Old 01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sentry65
yeah, I actually think the dodge SRT's are a good value for modding too - cheap cars, cheap parts, lots of power, lots of smiling in your neon
True, but with the WRX you get AWD and better reliability... but it is a bit more...
Old 01-13-2005, 12:31 PM
atar350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tacomaboy
[B]The AWD doesnt spin like the RWD does (that was my problem).

This is also why you hear that they are not such tough competition from a roll, they dont have the launch advantage.

Plus, any vehicle that comes with forced induction is generally cheaper to modify since you can just turn up the boost.

EVO and STI can get 400+ HP pretty cheaply (maybe 8 grand, I guess), wheras you have to spend 15 grand to do that on a Z

15 grand to make a Z have 400HP? You need to do a search for some turbo kits, and S/C kits, because if you spend half that, you get a Pro charger kit with a frount mount intercooler that puts 390 hp to the rear wheels!! Thats over 400 to the crank, and there are a couple of turbo kits running for lik5-7 thousand that will give you well over 400 HP. If you spend 15 K on engine mods, you could be pushing 600+.

STi's comes with 300HP, you could get a Boost Controller, exhaust, and maybe a different intake, and be making or REALLY close to 400 HP, that doesnt cost 8 grand, it costs 3 grand...
Old 01-13-2005, 12:35 PM
FLZ_Boy

The SRT-4's reliability isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The engines and tranny are very well-built. The weakest point imo of the SRT-4 probably has to be its motor mounts, however, that's easily solved with solid motor mounts.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:38 PM
xray2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by atar350
[B]
Originally posted by tacomaboy
The AWD doesnt spin like the RWD does (that was my problem).

EVO and STI can get 400+ HP pretty cheaply (maybe 8 grand, I guess), wheras you have to spend 15 grand to do that on a Z

15 grand to make a Z have 400HP? You need to do a search for some turbo kits, and S/C kits, because if you spend half that, you get a Pro charger kit with a frount mount intercooler that puts 390 hp to the rear wheels!! Thats over 400 to the crank, and there are a couple of turbo kits running for lik5-7 thousand that will give you well over 400 HP. If you spend 15 K on engine mods, you could be pushing 600+.

STi's comes with 300HP, you could get a Boost Controller, exhaust, and maybe a different intake, and be making or REALLY close to 400 HP, that doesnt cost 8 grand, it costs 3 grand...
He is talking about reliable horsepower. Any shmuck can throw a pro-charger on, but look at all the Zs with thrown rods. Z needs a boot-end build-up first; not so cheap then.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:41 PM
atar350

I also wanted to get an Evo before the Z way back in the Day, but after looking at it(because ******** mitsu sales people dont let you test drive it)I didn't like it as much. The exterior is pretty cool, but 4 doors is not cool, and the interior is SUPER PLAIN. My Z has the best interior of any car that I have ever driven, even if it is cheap plastic or something, its still nicer then any other car...Even though the Corvettes are faster, and look almost as good as the Z(IMHO) the interior is CRAP. They are fast and loud, and sleek, but the Z can be better for that price.

If I wanted a fast car, and didnt plan on modding it, I would buy something like an Evo, or a Corvette, but I would NEVER buy those ugly *** neons.. or srt4's or whatever. But I plan on modding my Z, and I love the way it looks over any other car, especially for 29K compared to the Corvettes 50K+, and the EVO's 35K+. Ive seen a Supercharged 350Z beat a porsche 911, a freakin 911 for a S/C kit that you can put on a stock Z, and safely make over 400HP. Ill take my Z over almost any other car, and if you own a Z and cant say that, you bought it for the wrong reasons...
Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
atar350

Originally posted by xray2
He is talking about reliable horsepower. Any shmuck can throw a pro-charger on, but look at all the Zs with thrown rods. Z needs a boot-end build-up first; not so cheap then.

Stock boost on a Procharger is set at something like 5.7 Psi, which is super low, and you are making almost 400HP to the rear wheels....
Old 01-13-2005, 01:49 PM
bobS

Well today's shouting match with nissan NA and my dealer pretty much sealed the deal. I was going to make another thread about it, but u guys have seen so many tire feathering threads i'm sure people don't want to even open it. So here goes to those who care...... my dealer calls me back and says the tires have finally come in. I've been hounding them every 3 days after the first 2 weeks i ordered them b/c my tires are so bald i'm afraid of a blow out.

Then the dealer tells me they will pay for the alignment but not the tires and the tires will cost me $520. WTF!!!! They said after 30k miles nissan will not pay the bill for the tires and after 20k miles it is pro-rated till u reach 30k. I told him i had complained when i had 28.5k miles on the car and he said it didn't matter. Also i told him i bought the car with 10k on it and it had new tires so really the tires only had 20k on them. He said that i can't prove that and they have no record of it.

So i called nissan NA. After i finally get to the regional manager she tells me the same thing. It doesn't matter that i complained at 28.5k, since i now have 30k on my car, the tires are not covered. So b/c it took nissan 5 weeks to get my tires in, i have to pay the price. Total bullsh*t.

I told her thank you, u just lost a customer. I'm goign to get a evo or sti and never buying a nissan again. I also told her i can't believe i bought a $33,000 car that has window grease, trunk doesn't open, tire feathering, rattles, seat that isn't bolted down tight. She said i'm sorry have a nice day.

So finally i scheduled with the dealer for my car to get the alignment fixed (wtf i thought they had no fix?) and give these crooks money for the tires and i will be going to trade this 33k pos for the competition.

I'm sorry, i love my z, the way it looks, and even had plans on putting a bbk,wheels, front lip, and TT next winter, but i'm getting rid of this car while i still can. Hope you guys have better luck..
Old 01-13-2005, 02:53 PM
FLZ_Boy

Good luck with an EVO MR or STI. I heard both of those companies are pretty vicious also on warranty work. Evo MR looks pretty nice, but Mitsu's financial situation isn't looking pretty, perhaps the STI will make you happier.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
bfleming

I have 32k miles on my Z and front tires are feathering and noisy. I got the same 30k mile story on the replacement tires and the service manager indicated Nissan does not have a front end fix. I did not trust the dealer enough to buy new tires or let them work on the front end. There is still enough tread to keep the tires on and I plan to replace all four this spring/summer and to check out aftermarket front end changes and other tires.

I bought my Z 2 years ago after looking seriously at the WRX. I didn't buy the WRX basicly because of its bland interior and exterior looks esp when compared to the Z. I wanted a sports car and the WRX didn't make it for me. Last year at the philly auto show I struck up a conversation with the Subaru rep about their STi. Told him i had a Z and liked the sti. He said that if the z is my daily ride, which it is, I made the right choice. In his opinion the ride in the sti is to harsh for normal driving as the car is designed for racing.

I haven't really checked out the evo, but suggest you check out the wrx before you jump at it.

Incidentally, my dealer is Woodbury, NJ NIssan and I've had good experiences with their service department (its a little far from Medford but...)
Old 01-14-2005, 05:12 PM
bhamvett

I will have to say for me going down to a 6 cylinder from a 8 was
pretty tough. I still miss the corvette from time to time, but looks do count for something, and I am always getting positive comments about my G35 coupe. It is a beautiful car. The EVO and
STI are faster, but seriously folks, LOOK AT THE CARS, PITIFUL AT
BEST. I almost bought an STI, but I just could not live with the looks of the car. Just remember, there are faster cars than Ferrari's, but would you rather own a Ferrari or have say a fast
mustang? Like another user said so well=there is ALWAYS something faster.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
xray2

Originally posted by atar350
Stock boost on a Procharger is set at something like 5.7 Psi, which is super low, and you are making almost 400HP to the rear wheels....
It's super low typically, but for the weak rods on the Z it's still a terminal illness.

Last edited by xray2; 01-14-2005 at 05:24 PM.