Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black ice - almoust lost it today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black ice - almoust lost it today

This morning I was driving to work and I went from one highway which was quite covered with snow to another which looked clean. But I still was driving like 60 mph just because I drove like that on another highway... Higway consisted of two roads for each direction with grass median in between, about 100 ft wide. With kind of lower space in the middle, like "V', but very small degree... So I was driving steady 60, and then I see an Accord off the road, between roads. I wondered how did he got there, road is so clean, and all of a sudden, I feel my car sliding to the left and starting to rotate to the left too. I tried to work the wheel smoothly and use a brake smoothly with no results AT ALL, in a second I went from the road tovard center of the "V". There I hit the brakes, but sinse the car was rotating on the snow/grass, I'm not sure it helped... lucky me, the bottom of the V was quite smooth and vithout creek in that place so I just went through and on the other slope of V quite smoothly... there I almost stopped 10 feet from the opposite direction shoulder, and 200 or 300 feet from where I went off the road, I finished facing the same direction as started... before I stoped (and stuck in the snow) I applied some little gas and finished on the shoulder... gosh, it was quite scary since I knew I'm going toward the opposite direction lines, but I wasn't sure where exactly am I (snow flying from under the car)...

Car didn't have any obvious damage but I'm going to get it on a lift to see what's going on beneath.

Once again, the highway (concrete) looked absolutely normal and clear of ice and snow... And I was going straight at steady speed... sh$t!!!

Ah, and this morning my small sport battery didn't want to start because of cold (9F outside), so I had to change it back to stock... Should've just get the sign and stay home.
Attached Thumbnails Black ice - almoust lost it today-ice.jpg  
Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that neither you nor the car were hurt! My car got stuck in the snow a couple of times, but I've never lost it like that. I don't really drive the Z in the winter too much, not worth the risk of losing control and hurting myself/someone else/the car.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:44 PM
ch@mp

the good news you didn't get hurt, maybe a change of drawers. btw love the visual aid : )
Old 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM
ANXIOUZ

Glad you're safe. We had some freezing rain here on Saturday so I had to sit on my couch all day. >:-(
Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 AM
TheLex

phew! That's scary!

Did you have the winter tires on?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:52 AM
typhaon

Default Moron chimes in...

Just to make you feel better.... about a week ago I took my Z out in the rain for a trip to the mall... it was about 40 degrees on the coast where I live and had been for a few days, so really no danger of ice or anything .

But, I head west... inland... just as I near the mall, the rain turns to sleet... then to thicker sleet. Instead of turning around like I should've... or having not even taken the Z in the first place... I decide to run in real quick, figuring it will be ok....

My Z has stock tires

I've never driven my Z in these types of condition and though I had read on these boards they don't fare well in the snow/ice, I had no idea exactly how bad.

By the time I came out of the mall there was about 1/2 inch of sleet covering everything... with more accumulating. I hop in the car, try to back out of my space... tires spin. Ooops. Ok, I think. Just me hitting the gas... I back out slower, turn down the aisle... creeping slowly, I reach the end to turn on to a main road... lightly press brakes.... car starts to slide and slip ever so sideways. I'm in trouble.

I can't back up. I'm worried to go on road... even more worried how I'll ever get home.

To make a long story short, I hope parking lot to parking lot for nearly 2 hours... going max of 10mph... just praying nobody will end up in front of me as I approach a stop and that my car won't suddenly go skating into another lane. After the 2 hours I make it to a gas station near the highway ramp. I'm still pretty sure I can't make it to the highway though - so I sit and wait for plows.

A few mins later the plows go by and I decide it is now or never. I follow them up to the ramp and head up the ramp on to the highway (luckily there is nothing collecting on the ramp).

Unfortunately this is not true for the highway. As I approach the highway I can see it hasn't been plowed and has a good layer of slush on it... Driving at about 30mph I merge into the first lane, gripping the wheel in fear. There is no way I can stay on the highway safely and lucky for me a rest area is immediately at the entrance, so I sloooooooowly turn(drift) in there.

I grab a burger and wait.... about 30 mins later - 3 plows dropping sand come by and I make my move. They did a pretty good job and I manage to head east, back towards the coast at 30-35mph... I'd say after about 2 or 3 miles of that, I crossed over the rain-line and the roads were relatively clean.. just wet.

What was meant to be a quick trip to the mall turned into a 3-hour trip of terror! Against the odds... thankfully, car and driver both made it home in 1 piece. Suffice to say I'll never make that mistake again.

Last edited by typhaon; 01-18-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:28 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by TheLex
phew! That's scary!

Did you have the winter tires on?
I have Blizzaks LM22 with about 10 or15K miles on them, I never turn hard on them, and they look really good with a lot of thread left. They usually very predictable in all situations. I was fine on the wet snow covered highway just before I merged onto that concrete highway... But this one time the car just totally lost grip in one moment.

I felt quite a vibration on my way home, so I jacked the car to see what's going on under... bottom looks fine, but I had couple pounds of pressed snow inside of each rim. Cleaned it off and vibration is gone.

Last edited by Vlad; 01-18-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Vlad

typhaon,

You were lacky to end up like that. I'd say you had 50/50 chance to crash the car. Stock wheels the same as skates when it below freezing. Next time just park the car and get a taxi.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Lucino

I guess no snow tires are superior when it comes to icey roads.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
afr0puff

I almost wiped out this morning as well. The roads here are dry, so I chanced it on the stock tires. It was 11 degrees. The 20 mile commute went without a hitch. Once I hit city traffic, I took my usual side road detours to bypass all the lights. I was traveling fine at 30mph. Then out of no where comes an ice covered 30 foot patch. I had no time to hit the brakes. Cars are parked on both sides of the street, so I had very little leeway when it came to sliding. As soon as I hit the patch of ice, the rear end slid out. Fortunately, VDC kicked in along with ABS and I only ended up turning 45 degrees. I had about five feet of space left before hitting one of the parked cars if the car continued to move forward at that angle.

Who needs coffee when you experience that in the morning!?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
phile

if you're driving in anything but rain or the weather is below 32 degrees, stock tires are a deathwish.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:05 PM
TELCO119

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the scary experience, glad you escaped unharmed.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
pacificwindsurf

Is it better to turn off the traction control anti-slip function when driving in snow or ice?

I had to drive over ice this past weekend, and the wheels were doing crazy things - stuttering and jerking. It was worse than any car I've ever driven in the snow.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 PM
rolling

wow sounds like some horror stories!!
My Z missed all the snow/ icy roads due to beeing in the body shop for MAJOR surgery that a thief Tried to use a crowbar for a key and couldnt get in..
ended up prying all the way down the door and peeled back the door skin!! and the handle off.. anyway
$3800 to repair, new door skin repaint / blend whole left side, new windowglass and tint, lickily my work is paying the $500 deductable!! heh
Im glad i didnt try to drive it because even in my old beater pickup i slid off the road (black ice) in to someones concrete retaining wall missing the garage door (with car behind it) at 45degree angle, owner saw me heading toward his house , he helped me bend my fender and bumper back from the tire and went on my way!! (he was cool and understanding)

thats my winter tragedy