2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to drive in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
unstable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it last year and realized the Z was not meant to see snow... So I went out and got myself a 95' Jeep Limited... Best money I ever spent on the Z.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Electro Z

Default Weee

Decided not to chance it. I will get a road trip on my 2003 vin 334 350z soon... with only 10967 miles on it and those only in town driving.... I am itching to get her on the open road.

Will have to wait for sunny days.

I hae a Dodge Ram 4x4 club cab.. but its not the same as the Z for crusing. In Snow.. its amazing... but open road... slow slow slow

Have a good one.

EZ
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Case

Default Re: road trip

Originally posted by Electro Z
I am heading to Kansas City via Ok City from Albuquerrque.... I have checked the 10 day forcast.. I will be leaving monday and returning the friday of the next week. It looks clear.. a little rain but no mention of snow.... I have driven a rear wheel drive standard car before and know its troubles.... I wonder if my 350z is the same. More tire on the pavement than my 68 camero and more engine....

I wanna drive but if theres a real chance of snow I will fly....

Should I chance it?

EZ
I would say that it is worse (assuming stock tires) than the 68 camaro (which is the only other rwd car I have driven in the snow). You must have the straight 6 250 in there. Although some weight in the back (of the Z) might help out a bit....

-case-
Old 01-24-2005, 08:41 AM
350tre

just survived the 1 foot of snow that fell in thye philadelphia area, the z with my pirelli snowsports i believe, the tires that is, performed very well. i had little problem getting out of my snowed in parking spot with minimal digging. the only thing the z had problems with was the slab of packed snow that forms in the middle of the street, this is due to the low ground clearance. overall i feel very confident driving this rear drive sport car.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Z Shadow

Unhappy Don't do it or suffer white nuckle driving and ulcers

Well I live on Long Island and had a little vacation for the month of January. So I decided to take a raod trip to My parents in Va Bch. The weather was forecasted to be in tyh 70's and 60's most of the week. It was great driving with the windows down, no salt or sand on the road. When i left Ny it was 37 and light/flurries wet snow. So I was a little concerned but with the traffic in the afternoon the speed was slow. Actually a good thing considering. Any way I made it to the Nj turnnpike and it started coming down very hard and the temp dropped to 35 and I started to panic, at exit 9 ish i pulled over under an overpass and waited for about 20 minutes. Two other silver z's went by and they seemed fine so I left. On the way back it was a whole different story the temp had dropped in to the 20's in nj/ny and a clipper with some snow was moving in. I took the chance that I would beat the snow home. Wrong move By the time I got to northern Delaware it started coming down, light and powdery, at first I slowed down, then I realized that for now the snow was just blowing around like dust. I stayed behind an 18 wheeler and cruzed pretty good to exit 13. This is where it all came to an end. Once at the toll the dot had put salt every where and now the snow was staying put and melting making for basically wet roads, but I couldn't chance so going over the bridges with hazards on I was doing all of 20 mph. I made to queens and stayed in the center lane doing about 30 with hazards on. It was nerve wracking, but not to bad b/c it was about 1 am on sunday night. No too many other drivers. The car was taking a beating between the salt trucks and other drivers kicking the salt up on to the car. I was making slow but decent time on the southern state parkway until someone made the decision not put salt on this part of the road which by now was pretty much gone. Now what, well I could call a tow truck and flat bed it home at 3 am or just keep plugging along in 2 gear at about 10 mph and don't make any sudden moves. i chose the latter since there was no one else on the roads. This took an hour to reach the next road, Sunrise highway, and to my joy it was salted . So now I just have to make it from the highway to my house 2.5 miles on un treated roads It took a while but I made it and promised my Z that I would never ever again do that to her again. I not sure why the Z did as well as she did, but she did. I have nitto tires on and maybe the extra width helped and the tcs did kick in a few times on the snow especially taking the turn into the complex where I live, but overall I was impressed. I took a big and stupid chance when I look back on it, all b/c I didn't want to pay 150 dollars for a hotel room or 250 dollars for a tow. Dumb, but I learned my lesson.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM
RBlover69

yea man , its hard for my *** because ,im ichting to drive my car and with all this ny snow, its just terrible.................just a patch of snow would send you, to the next guard rail
Old 01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove today on the icy and snowy ny roads and was fine all day. I lost controll a tiny bit here and there but it was actually fun. But i did get stuck in the snow though...... in my driveway!!! Took me a good 5 minutes of moving back and forth to finally drive into my garage.