Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So here's my choices...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
FluxedSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So here's my choices...

Ok, I'm 17 years old. Graduation is coming up, and I have 2 choices. I can get an '05 Evolution VIII, or a '05 350Z Track (300 hp). I've been working since I was pretty young and have been saving money up for the day that has come for me to decide on a new car for when I graduate from high school. I make pretty good grades, so my parents said they will help me a little on the car. Im just really split on what I want. I can get a low 13 second car, or I can get the 350z, in which I prefer the interior, and looks 50 fold over the Evo, and it still is pretty fast. I'm just looking for opinions on what people think I should do, I know this is a 350z forum so it will be biased, but I need help lol. And does anyone know how '05 track model performs compared to previous years? Thanks alot all.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Z, definitely! The Mitsu Lancer Evo is just a souped-up wanna-be sports car. Be different....Don't be a drone like the rest of the kids your age, who seem to buy a strange looking car like the Evo or buy a used Civic and mod it to death...UGH!

Plus, chances are the resale value of the Evo will plummet versus the Z...Also, consider the fact that Mitsu is doing poorly financially...If they go out of business...Parts supply might be an issue!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Buy the Evo.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of advice, not meaning to pry...

but be more concerned with college and furthering your education. If you have that squared away, then... my answer is the Z (even though I still think at 17 you are too young to drive one responsibly).

If you dont have it squared away, then I dont have an answer youll like.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can upgrade the Z's power, but you can't really upgrade the evo's looks...

the evo will be faster and will almost always outdo the Z untill you start getting into some serious cash to invest into the Z

the sti and evo probalby have a lower max potential than the Z, but you can reach that limit much faster and more cost efficiently than the Z.

Meaning a Z with 30k mods would be needed to keep up with an evo with 10k mods. So 40k vs 60k. The Z does have 6 cylinders though and more room in the engine bay so in theory if you had unlimited budgets for both cars, the Z might have more power overall.

if you want the best bang for your buck performance, go with the evo

Last edited by sentry65; 01-28-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:52 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by Poison123
Buy the Evo.
what he said.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Jumbosock

Get a 98 Geo Metro and save the money or invest it in something that'll help you get a C7 Z06 Corvette in 10 years.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 AM
drivenCSZ

Well it depends on your style, you know. If you're concerned about smoking one of your friends or the local hoodlums at a stoplight you cant get much better than the EVO. HOWEVER, If your like me and care more about the ladies, get the Z...lol Seriously though Im biased but I say Z ALL THE WAY, not even a contest. I got my Z when I was 18 and couldnt think of having a different car. I dotn street race my car and don't feel the need to prove anyhtign to anyone. The Z is just such a better overall package. Believe me the look of the car after its just been washed and waxed is priceless, it really is beautiful. Not to mention its still plenty fast for me, handles like its on rails, and with track brakes will have monster stopping power. Also, I dont know about the EVO but the Z is very stable at higher speeds...like 142

Another thing, if your going to college, like myself, the Z isnt as bad as people think, space wise. Ive had to move myself out of my dorm a few times and with the exception of my TV and minifridge all my stuff fit. It can Hold alot of crap just not real big stuff. Also, I never get stuck driving other people anywhere cause 2 seats doesnt really work well(just for reference though 4 people will fit if your in a jam)

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 01-28-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 PM
jcurtis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sentry65
[B]You can upgrade the Z's power, but you can't really upgrade the evo's looks...

True Dat!!!

A few questions to ask yourself:

1. How often will you need those extra fractions of a second to get through a quarter mile. Are you going to college or the track?

2. If you are going to college, what had you rather be seen around campus in? You're about to embark on a the most self-defining period in your life. Meaning, for the next few years your going to learn more about who you are and what you stand for than any other period throughout your life. Are you a Evo guy or a Z man?

I'm betting your a Z man
Old 01-28-2005, 12:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I have a girlfriend so I'm not concerned with picking up chicks - of course it's still flattering and all to get compliments

I really appreciate the design of the Z and am willing to sacrifice a little speed for a car that I'm proud to be seen driving around in
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
ppw350Zunit

if you want a fast car, get the z. if you want a faster car, get the evo MR EDITION.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Guys, why are we even trying to justify it to him. I said the Evo because he came on to the Z site asking should I buy a Evo or a Z. Honestly wtf answer was he expecting?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 PM
speedzz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcurtis
[B]
Originally posted by sentry65
You can upgrade the Z's power, but you can't really upgrade the evo's looks...

True Dat!!!

A few questions to ask yourself:

1. How often will you need those extra fractions of a second to get through a quarter mile. Are you going to college or the track?

2. If you are going to college, what had you rather be seen around campus in? You're about to embark on a the most self-defining period in your life. Meaning, for the next few years your going to learn more about who you are and what you stand for than any other period throughout your life. Are you a Evo guy or a Z man?

I'm betting your a Z man

Wow!

You even inspired me! What he said.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 PM
thawk408

If you want a "car" that is easily upgraded for more power, get the Evo. If you want a "Sports Car" that still has great power and can be upgarded for more power with alittle more money get the Z.
FairladyZ

Originally posted by speedzz
Wow!

You even inspired me! What he said.
Me too thanks Curtis.
ANXIOUZ

Being as young as you are, I think the EVO might be a better fit. 4 doors = great for piling your buddies in, it's an exciting car and a blast to drive, and it's definitely more of a younger-driver focused vehicle.

The Z is more of a sophisticated car (especially the interior) which has attracted an older crowd. I like the EVO a lot but the interior is terribly cheap. Reminds me of the Type-R Integra....fun car but the interior was embarassingly cheap. The Z's interior is kinda cheap too but at least it looks sophisticated.

Both are great cars, no doubt. If you think you'll want to drive people around, get the EVO. If only having room for a single passenger is OK with you, you'll be totally happy with the Z.

And the 300HP Z's perform just about the same as the 287HP one's. You can save a ton of money getting an 03 or 04 Track without losing any significant performance compared to the 05 Track.

If I could have found an EVO for less than the Z I might have gone for it. But one test drive in the Z and I was sold.

Last edited by ANXIOUZ; 01-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 PM
sentry65
the burninator

the EVO is 2fast2furious for me...

Last edited by sentry65; 01-28-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Before I bought the Z, I was totally obsessed with performance. I thought performance was everything, but now that I actually drive a fast car, it's not that important. My car is fast enough to beat 95% of the cars I see on the road, but even if wasn't, who the hell cares? The evo's fast, the Z is everything else.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

are you planning on going to school?

learn from me, having a car in college that you will want to put money into doesn't always work out that way. I could have gotten through college with as little as $10,000 in loans. But instead i have over $35,000 because of the damn cars. Was it a big mistake? hell yea. i will be paying for it for a very long time. you maybe better than i was (hell i think almost everyone was) and not do that..... but consider the rising tuition. that is what killed me. my tuition almost doubled in the time i was in school, and that is what kicked my butt.

you sound resposible, and have a good taste in cars, so i would definately say the Z.

ps. I was able to move my Mini-Fridge in the MR2 passenger seat. SO HA.

but be prepared for all the other things that come with owning cars, unless you have already gone through it. insurance on a Z for (or Evo) is probably not too cheap for a 17-18 year old kid, gas (trust me- when you have a fun car, you seem to go through a lot of it) maintenance, etc etc.......

good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 PM
pureZness

get an EVO.
i see enough Z's on the road

Quick Reply: So here's my choices...