Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bridgestone Blizzak W5-50

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:30 AM
AndyS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone Blizzak W5-50

I just bought my 350Z, its my daily driver, and its snowing. I have had the car for 2 days and I made a poor attempt at driving today, I couldn't get out of my neighborhood. Luckily I was able to get a ride to work so I don't have to deal with the snow just yet. If I replace my tires with the Blizzak's will this help at all or will it be pretty close to the same? I don't have the option of buying a beater just yet so I'm stuck w/ driving my Z in bad weather. Anyone have these tires? Are they worth it? Will they help at all compared to the stock tires?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these on my Prelude and they are great in the snow or ice. It doesn't mean you can go driving normal speeds, but you certainly have better traction w/ these tires over other tires.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 AM
AndyS

Any other good winter tires people recommend?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:37 AM
BadDriver

Default Re: Bridgestone Blizzak W5-50

Originally posted by AndyS
If I replace my tires with the Blizzak's will this help at all or will it be pretty close to the same? I don't have the option of buying a beater just yet so I'm stuck w/ driving my Z in bad weather. Anyone have these tires? Are they worth it? Will they help at all compared to the stock tires?
Will it be pretty close to the same as the stock summer tires? Yes it will make a HUGE difference. You will actually be able to drive in poor weather. I live in NY and decided to use tire rack's Dunlop winter sport m3 tires. They are all-season snows, not full snows like the Blizzaks. But since you live in VA it might be better to get a set of All-season snows because it is warmer down there and the Blizzak's are more of a compromise in warmer weather. A few other things to consider, it is late in the season and many tire retailers snow tire stocks are running low. This may limit your choice of tire.
Also, 17" winter tires are cheaper and more plentiful than 18" so if you do have 18" wheels it might be cost effective to buy a set of 17" winter rims and tires. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:45 AM
AndyS

I have 17" wheels so I was planning on using the Blizzak's from about Dec through Feb and then putting the stock tires back on for the better weather. Is it a better idea to just get an all season snow tire and run it all year long?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 AM
BadDriver

I have 17" wheels so I was planning on using the Blizzak's from about Dec through Feb and then putting the stock tires back on for the better weather. Is it a better idea to just get an all season snow tire and run it all year long?
Ehh, no. Well not if you enjoy the performance of the summer tires. Even thought the stock tires are about the worst summer tires available, they do seem like slicks in good weather compared to any all-season snow or full snow tire you may put on. You certainly could run an all-season tire year round, but you would then be compromising your summer performance. So it really depends on how you drive and what is important to you. Also what compromises are you willing to accept?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Lerxst

I'm quite happy with the WS50s, with the desire to get safely around the city until the snow melts in April.

If you're looking for something a bit more performance oriented, I'd opt for the Blizzak LM-22s. But come spring, definitely switch back to summer tires... it costs a little more up front for two sets, but each set will last twice as long and you'll have the best possible grip in both situations, as opposed to a compromise with an all-season IMHO.

I bought a second set of rims too, so I don't have to swap & damage the tires. I went with some cheap ASAs as I couldn't bring myself to putting black steel rims on a Z... plus I wasn't sure if they'd fit over the brembos.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:55 AM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bridgestone Blizzak W5-50

I just bought my 350Z, its my daily driver, and its snowing. I have had the car for 2 days and I made a poor attempt at driving today, I couldn't get out of my neighborhood. Luckily I was able to get a ride to work so I don't have to deal with the snow just yet. If I replace my tires with the Blizzak's will this help at all or will it be pretty close to the same? I don't have the option of buying a beater just yet so I'm stuck w/ driving my Z in bad weather. Anyone have these tires? Are they worth it? Will they help at all compared to the stock tires?
The Blizzak's will make a night and day difference. I got a set of Blizzak LM-22's put on just before our last Blizzard They are fantastic! You still need to use common sense when driving. I put the Blizzak's on my stock 17" wheels and I plan to pick up some 18" wheels like the Nismos to put summer tires on.

The Blizzaks are rather pricey, but they are more than worth it. The first time you drive your Z in snowy weather with them you will get a big **** eatin grin on your face
Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM
and04Z

I got a set of Blizzak WS 50s on my 04 Base. Does great so far this winter in southern Michigan--really pleasantly surprised--even at 5AM before the plows are out. I had them mounted on some 17-in Sport Edition wheels from the Tire Rack (about 120/ wheel), which look better than my stock 17s to me. Sure beats driving something else in the winter.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:13 PM
grifferjr

i have the ws-50's and they are great. i drove the Z last year in the winter with the stock tires and it was a miracle i came out unscathed. i have these now and its night and day. i have now become one of the better cars on the road. the car handles better now than my FWD car that had all seasons on it.

main difference between the ws's and the lm's is what type of speed you want them to handle. the ws's only rated to mid to high 90's and the lm's are into the 100's. also the ws's much cheaper.

get them if thats the only car that you have to drive. or you could always get friends to drive you.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 PM
04_CS_Z33

I've got a set of Blizzak mz-03's on stock perf/touring 18's. The most snow I have ever driven them in is about 4-5 inches. They make a huge difference. I've got a base model and in the snow/rain/cold with the stock potenza's, the car sucked. You will at least be able to get to where you have to be with the blizzaks. I wouldn't reccommend driving in the snow just because you have them though.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
AndyS

Well after spending about 1 hour just trying to drive up a small incline in my development, I decided I need some winter tires ASAP. I have driven plenty of manual trans. before, but this is my first rear wheel drive, sports car, manual. Not only do I feel like I need to go back to drivers ed., I need some damn tires quick. It was soooo frustrating.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
denman

I have those same tires on my 2004 manual Z. They are not much of an improvement. Car is still dangerous even with just a dusting of snow.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM
denman

I have those same tires on my 2004 manual Z. They are not much of an improvement. Car is still dangerous even with just a dusting of snow.