2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

RT comparison - bad tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT comparison - bad tires

I was reading the R and T comparison of sports cars, and it was a very interesting article. Whether or not the Z deserved a low rating or if you're in agreement is the topic of another thread. I just have to mention though, that to me, the data in this article reveals something very interesting that all of us have known for a while.

I think the biggest factor in inhibiting the Z's full acceleration and corning potential are the STOCK TIRES!

Look at the 0-20 mph numbers!!, it is very revealing that the Z is MUCH slower to 20mph than any of these cars (0.3 sec or more).
Cars with much less HP and torque are getting much better times. Sounds to me like a traction problem. The same traction problem that would affect cornering speeds as well!

Sure, if the Z came stock with a NISMO suspension, it would be a much better track car and there are many other factors you can change as well, but that would no longe rmake it a "stock" Z. Like I said, I think the obvious and most apparant flaw in the stock offering on the Z are the tires.

If only Nissan offered OEM tires as S03's or Pilot sports, I think the effect would be significant enough that you would have seen noticably better acceleration numbers and lap times.

RaymanZ

Last edited by raymanZ; 02-04-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:48 PM
UsafaRice

Default Re: RT comparison - bad tires

Originally posted by raymanZ
I was reading the R and T comparison of sports cars, and it was a very interesting article. Whether or not the Z deserved a low rating or if you're in agreement is the topic of another thread. I just have to mention though, that to me, the data in this article reveals something very interesting that all of us have known for a while.

I think the biggest factor in inhibiting the Z's full acceleration and corning potential are the STOCK TIRES!

Look at the 0-20 mph numbers!!, it is very revealing that the Z is MUCH slower to 20mph than any of these cars (0.3 sec or more).
Cars with much less HP and torque are getting much better times. Sounds to me like a traction problem. The same traction problem that would affect cornering speeds as well!

Sure, if the Z came stock with a NISMO suspension, it would be a much better track car and there are many other factors you can change as well, but that would no longe rmake it a "stock" Z. Like I said, I think the obvious and most apparant flaw in the stock offering on the Z are the tires.

If only Nissan offered OEM tires as S03's or Pilot sports, I think the effect would be significant enough that you would have seen noticably better acceleration numbers and lap times.

RaymanZ
+1, damn Infinitis get Pilots...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 PM
SB Track

Default Re: Re: RT comparison - bad tires

Originally posted by UsafaRice
+1, damn Infinitis get Pilots...
Not anymore, on the 2005s I think they get Bridgestone RE050 or something.

The SE-R Altimas get SO-3's, I saw when I was buying my car. I thought that was outrageous that my 37k Track model got crap tires, when ugly Altimas got better tires.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:22 AM
NzZ

Default Re: RT comparison - bad tires

Couldn't agree more. The RE040 is the weak link in the 350Z package - they don't offer as much grip as other max performance tires..yet at the same time their sidewalls are too stiff (I've never made that complaint before!). Also, I've owned other summer performance tires...and none were as poor in rain and cold temps. Hell below 70 degrees these tires have no grip. Can't wait until I wear mine out and I can slap some appropriate rubber on this car.

NzZ
Old 02-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet every single car in that lineup gets super-high-performance tires. Hell, IIRC, S2k gets SO-2's. We should get at least that.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:46 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the real test. Run the same tires on all of those cars and see where the Z comes out then.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Nano

Originally posted by zillinois
Here's the real test. Run the same tires on all of those cars and see where the Z comes out then.
thumbup for the right answer...

this is why these tests are absolutely meaningless

Z4 - Bridgestone potenza re050
C6 - GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar
Viper - Michelin pilot sport
s2000 - Bridgestone potenza re050
Elise - Yokohama A048
SLK - Pirelli Pzero rosso
350z - Bridgestone potenza re040
Boxter - Michelin pilot sport
Carrera - Michelin pilot sport
Old 02-05-2005, 06:19 PM
NzZ

As much as I want to agree that the outcome would be different with different tires...the point of the study was stock cars. Not many people buy a brand new car and swap out the tires. Nissan should be ashamed of itself...they go and make a sports car and compromise all sorts of stuff (rear seats, ride quality, storage space w/the strut bar) in the name of handling...then go and slap the Craptenzas on it. Why even bother?

NzZ
Old 02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Nano

Normal people don't run their cars on race tracks at 100% of their capabilities.

I do bring my car to the track, and I almost instantly bought a set of track rims and tires. IF you are serious about driving than you spend on tires and drivers courses, not on bling rice crap gizmos.

the RT test is for people who race with magazines.

Last edited by Nano; 02-05-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:29 AM
trumperZ06

Actually, this is one of Road & Craps better comparison test articles!!! Maybe they are getting smarter.

Nissan has made the 350 Z too damn heavy for a sports car. Even the Vette is lighter with a much stronger engine & drive train. The test weight for the 350Z = 3560 lbs. and the Vette = 3480lbs.

Trying to interchange the chassis & suspension from one brand and model to another... tends to cause the weight problem. Get the weight down to ~ 3100 lbs., see the Honda S2000, then the 350Z has a chance to compete!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
zmespeed

i thought the 350z was 3250lb.. is it realy 3560lb.. i guess it does feel kinda heavy
Old 02-08-2005, 09:17 AM
King Tut

I gotta agree with raymanZ. The single biggest factor in all the performance test that get run is the tire selection. I think we all agree that Nissan made a very poor OEM tire selection. I also feel that we all would have gladly paid $500 more for a better set of OEM rubber. That being said it is an OEM test, so I do feel it was fair.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
510dat

that's 3250(full gas tank)+ driver + test equipment
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
hpark

Originally posted by trumperZ06
Actually, this is one of Road & Craps better comparison test articles!!! Maybe they are getting smarter.

Nissan has made the 350 Z too damn heavy for a sports car. Even the Vette is lighter with a much stronger engine & drive train. The test weight for the 350Z = 3560 lbs. and the Vette = 3480lbs.

Trying to interchange the chassis & suspension from one brand and model to another... tends to cause the weight problem. Get the weight down to ~ 3100 lbs., see the Honda S2000, then the 350Z has a chance to compete!
This R&T test is as good of a test as I've ever seen. Stock cars, same driver, same track, same time/driving environment. They were comparing STOCK cars with STOCK tires...yes put better tires on any car and it'll shed time.....seems like people want to see a test between MODIFIED cars.....
Old 02-08-2005, 08:04 PM
hpark

Originally posted by Nano
Normal people don't run their cars on race tracks at 100% of their capabilities.

I do bring my car to the track, and I almost instantly bought a set of track rims and tires. IF you are serious about driving than you spend on tires and drivers courses, not on bling rice crap gizmos.

the RT test is for people who race with magazines.
naw for 99% of sports car buyers that never track their car.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Risk

Originally posted by 510dat
that's 3250(full gas tank)+ driver + test equipment
Millen + equipment doesnt weigh 310 pounds dude. My guess is that the 300hp motor puts on some weight as well as the super special badges...lol

Doesnt 3560 sound more like the roadster? Either way, the fact is that the Z got smoked. Factor in price though and it evens it out a little.