Sponsored by:

For 6MT drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:32 PM
desiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For 6MT drivers...

Let's get some opinions here:

When you park your car, what do you do? Do you put the gear in neutral and pull the hand brake up or do you leave the car in first?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Mantis3024

I leave it in 1st and pull the e-brake up
Old 03-19-2005, 03:45 PM
BigMoeTaki42

I usually just pull the e-brake up and leave it in neutral, since I'm almost always parked on level (or mostly level) ground and that's just what I'm used to. I know it's better to put it in 1st, but I never do it unless I'm parked on a steep incline.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:50 PM
bjr48

If you just got your car you should do a quick search on how much our handbrake sucks. It is a set of drum pads that mate to the inside of the hub on the back discs and does not work good at all. I know that probably the most correct and safe way in any car is to set the brake and leave it in gear but my last car I owned for 10+ years I never used anything but the brake unless I parked on a steep driveway. Don't rely on the brake for your Z! I guess my advice is to come to a stop, set the handbrake fully, shut off the car, let go of the brake pedal to let the drum pads catch (they have TONS of slop), then put it in 1st if parking uphill or put in in reverse if parking downhill. I think that allowing the drum brakes to catch at the end of their slop will help take any load off of the gears and the gearbox will catch if the brake fails. My two cents.
Seriously though you will want to form some kind of habit like this after you figure out how bad the brake works. Man I hate leaving my car in gear. Plus it was hard to break 16 years of habits but I'm used to it after 2 months. I still am surprised everytime I come back and see my car still parked where I left it
p.s. For what it's worth, I just remembered that EVERY time I had to service my last car the mechanic left it parked in 1st without the handbrake. I always guessed that they did this so if you don't use your handbrake and it is in bad shape that it won't fail to release when you leave their parking lot. Older cars do this if you never use the brake.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:03 PM
desiguy

Ever since I bought the Z in Oct of 04, I've been putting the Z in neutral and pulling up the handbrake. I've had no porblems (knock on wood) with the car moving at all.

In any case, the reason why I ask is because I was at the dealership today to get my oil changed and the mechanic left the car in first when he turned off the car. I get into my car and started in up and didn't realize that it was in first. So when I took my foot off the clutch, the car jumped. Luckily, the car was parkd right next to some rocks in the nissan parking lot and guess what, my front fender got damaged! I talked to the general mgr and he told me that since I drove it, it was my responsibility. My response was that I gave the car to them in a certain way and I expected the car back in that way, ie turn the car off and keep it in neutral, plus the car was parked right near the rocks and they were negligent in those aspects and they should pay for it. Long story short, he tells me he will split half and said he would have his guy charge 800..ie i pay 400. I shoped around this afternoon and I'm quoted 300-400 for the job. Mind you, this is not a major dent, or anything..just some scuffed paint and what not.

I guess my next question is what should I do about this? It seems to me that the gm is tryin to pull one over me and overchargin me so that he would not have to pay. Should I use my guy and send him the bill for the other half? Contact Nissan customer service?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
lowrider

OK guys

The Emergency or Hand Brake is just that, an emergency brake. In cars with automatic transmissions, there is a Park Position, the purpose of Park is to Lock the transmission. With a Manual, the same principal should be used. The Transmission needs to be locked to keep the car stationary. No Handbrake is up to that task.

When Parking on the Level or with the Car pointed Downhill always leave the transmission in Reverse. When pointed Uphill leave it in First.

This really is basic, and when I learned to drive, in 1954, this was taught by all qualified driving instructors, and the State Driving Test, and the Written Test included this most important part of parking the vehicle.

This has not changed in the last 50 years. Automatic Transmission Lock themselves automatically when put in Park. We need to do the same thing, Manually.

Lou
Old 03-19-2005, 04:29 PM
ohw

I have not use my hand brakes for 20+ years. My habbit is to leave it in 1st, or reverse if down hill. I will pull the hand brake if the hill is steep. There is no right or wrong way to do this, just whatever suits you.

As for the damage, I would show the other estimates to the GM and split 1/2 of that. You actully save him/her money. It's up to him/her to decide if he/she wants to keep you as a customer.

Did you buy your car there? Talk to your sales guy too.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Exta_Z

When you put the car in 1st in uphill or Reverse in downhill, it puts ALOT of stress on the gears. It's better to put the e-brake up along with either 1st gear or reverse (depending on situation), this way, it take off ALOT of stress on the tranny gears. I personally, leave it in neutral and put the e-brake up.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ALWAYS leave the car in gear and pull the e-brake up. Better safe than sorry!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Camel

I just use the brake if its on a level surface. If its on a hill, I use the brake and 1st... been doing that for 15 years with various cars...
Old 03-19-2005, 09:25 PM
cckleung

Originally Posted by ___DJK___
I ALWAYS leave the car in gear and pull the e-brake up. Better safe than sorry!
I agree with you.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 PM
SB Track

Yea, the e-brake sucks badly in our cars.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:36 PM
BoostTed

the first day i bought the z home, parked it in my driveway which has a slight incline, woke up the next morning with the Z half way out of the driveway. Lucky I didnt close the gate that night or it would have hit the gate. After that I always pull the handbrake all the way up and then pull an extra click or two and I leave it in gear.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like the others have said, E-brake and 1st (or R) on an incline, depending on which way the car is facing. But if I am parked on a level ground, I'd just use the e-brake.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:41 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always park in 1st and then do the hand brake when i remember to do it.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:49 PM
MEI

i always use the handbrake and leave the gear on neutral
Old 03-19-2005, 10:54 PM
jmaldonado

If its in my driveway for the night (which is flat) I leave it in neutral....because I use the remote start to warm it up in the morning. If Im parked on a incline or decline I put it in gear....
Old 03-19-2005, 11:30 PM
samw1978

level ground.... handbrake+neutral
slope... either 1st or reverse gear + handbrake
Old 03-19-2005, 11:49 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i leave my car in 2nd gear and the hand break up. don't know why i picked 2nd gear, but it doesn't really matter since all of florida is flat land.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
climhazzard85

Originally Posted by desiguy
Ever since I bought the Z in Oct of 04, I've been putting the Z in neutral and pulling up the handbrake. I've had no porblems (knock on wood) with the car moving at all.

In any case, the reason why I ask is because I was at the dealership today to get my oil changed and the mechanic left the car in first when he turned off the car. I get into my car and started in up and didn't realize that it was in first. So when I took my foot off the clutch, the car jumped. Luckily, the car was parkd right next to some rocks in the nissan parking lot and guess what, my front fender got damaged! I talked to the general mgr and he told me that since I drove it, it was my responsibility. My response was that I gave the car to them in a certain way and I expected the car back in that way, ie turn the car off and keep it in neutral, plus the car was parked right near the rocks and they were negligent in those aspects and they should pay for it. Long story short, he tells me he will split half and said he would have his guy charge 800..ie i pay 400. I shoped around this afternoon and I'm quoted 300-400 for the job. Mind you, this is not a major dent, or anything..just some scuffed paint and what not.

I guess my next question is what should I do about this? It seems to me that the gm is tryin to pull one over me and overchargin me so that he would not have to pay. Should I use my guy and send him the bill for the other half? Contact Nissan customer service?
I can't believe Nissan is paying to fix your car, because you are stupid. You should kiss their ***.

Quick Reply: For 6MT drivers...