Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Gearbox Chatter from a stop?? (READ)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 AM
bknezevic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Chatter from a stop?? (READ)

I just want to make sure that what I hear EVERY time I accelerate from a stop is normal and/or is happening to other Z's.

TEST - When you get your Z warmed up, go to your favorite hill where you can stop the car and take off going up the hill (the noise is much more apparent going up a hill). Open your windows, turn down your radio and hopefully you hear what I hear. It's a very loud and obnoxious (imo it sounds like something is breaking) chatter from the middle area of the car (tranny, not positive though) that starts off with a slow chatter that gets real fast. It should be very loud and apparent and will go away after you hit 2.5-3k on the tac in first gear.

It is important that you give it some gas so you can perform the test properly, otherwise you may not hear it.

You CAN avoid this happening if you accelerate EXTREMELY SLOW.

Post your results so that some of us can feel better about cutting out that monthly car payment check. I know I've felt a lot better knowing that the 80mph 6th gear whine and the clunking tranny at engine shut off seem to be normal for most.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal, the tranny's in the z's make all kinds of noises. I've gotten used to it and i dont notice it anymore.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM
King Tut

Damn man. It is normal. No one else need reply. If you spend alot of time on hills in 1st gear accelerating slowly, I would recommend selling the car.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 AM
bknezevic

Originally Posted by King Tut
Damn man. It is normal. No one else need reply. If you spend alot of time on hills in 1st gear accelerating slowly, I would recommend selling the car.
I don't spend a lot of time on hills, but I suggested doing it because its very apparent under those circumstances as well as on a flat surface.

I'm not sure if you get away with that attitude and personality on these forums, but I don't appreciate your derogatory comments. I brought up an issue that I wanted to share with the community in hopes that we could determine its normality.

I'm pretty sure that when you heard the noise for the first time you may have been concerned and inquired or researched as to what the cause was.

Thanks to whoever else reads this and understands my point of view on the situation and responds. I'm not trying to degrade the level of performance or quality of the 350Z, but I would like to know if a noise such as this is normal or not, and thankfully it seems to be normal.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
King Tut

Nope, I understand the chatter and noises of a RWD sports car with soft tranny mounts. Would you prefer the entire dash to vibrate or the drivetrain to vibrate?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope just the "Personality of the Z"
Old 04-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Badfish25

I was just noticing this on my new Z. Good to hear it's normal, lot's of new noises from this tranny. I never actually heard synchro's synchronizing before the Z.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Maizzze

Originally Posted by bknezevic
I just want to make sure that what I hear EVERY time I accelerate from a stop is normal and/or is happening to other Z's.

TEST - When you get your Z warmed up, go to your favorite hill where you can stop the car and take off going up the hill (the noise is much more apparent going up a hill). Open your windows, turn down your radio and hopefully you hear what I hear. It's a very loud and obnoxious (imo it sounds like something is breaking) chatter from the middle area of the car (tranny, not positive though) that starts off with a slow chatter that gets real fast. It should be very loud and apparent and will go away after you hit 2.5-3k on the tac in first gear.

It is important that you give it some gas so you can perform the test properly, otherwise you may not hear it.

You CAN avoid this happening if you accelerate EXTREMELY SLOW.

Post your results so that some of us can feel better about cutting out that monthly car payment check. I know I've felt a lot better knowing that the 80mph 6th gear whine and the clunking tranny at engine shut off seem to be normal for most.

Thanks in advance guys!
I've noticed it too. I don't really care as long as nothing's breaking. Since it sounds like everyone else's Z is a little whiny I guess I won't worry about it. Besides the sounds, its a good box... not a lot of lash, nice _shifts (ha ha)
Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 PM
bknezevic

Yea dude, this car is siiiiiiick. I shift sooo fast its crazy. I have a problem with ending my tire spinning launch with a tiny bit of wheel hop but thats about it. I shift gears so damn fast its ridiculous. Faster than an automatic for sure.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 PM
FLZ_Boy

If something breaks, there is a warranty to use.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 AM
mpol99

NORMAL. Both my car & a friend's car have the noise! I guess there's not a lot of sound insulation & you can hear that ***** work. I like it!