Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Oil Pressure Low / Service Engine Light On...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 AM
pgh2atl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Low / Service Engine Light On...HELP!

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if I am posting the right discussion group, but I know that everyone here has been very helpful/knowledgeable when it comes to the Z. Hoping yall make be able to help me once again.....

I just came back from a 300+ round-trip road trip last Sunday & I averaged about 80+ mph the whole way & back. I noticed Monday afternoon that my "service engine light soon" has come on. So I checked my gas tank cap & it seems to be on correctly. One thing I have noticed is that my oil pressure gauge when idle is around 40psi. Normally (if I'm not mistaken) it hovers around 60 psi or so.

I haven't had an oil change in a while, so I was wondering if this is the reason for the service light being on? I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it & do an oil change. I'm still under warranty (about 14k on the car) so I figure if its anything serious, it should be covered. But since there are alot of "Z Veterans" on this site, I thought I would see if anyone had any advice/suggestions/comment on what may be going on with my Z.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Solo
03 Super Black Touring
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM
ANXIOUZ

When was your last oil change?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:02 AM
pgh2atl

Around 8500k when I bought the car......

I know...I know......gotta get the oil changed sooner....LOL!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
RxZ

I think you just self diagnosed yourself
Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Joeys_z

Originally Posted by pgh2atl
Around 8500k when I bought the car......

I know...I know......gotta get the oil changed sooner....LOL!
It's amazing to think that someone will spend 30K on a sports car and then not change the oil when needed. The Z does in most cases consume some oil, and that varies from car to car. Some people will "burn" almost 1/2 a quart between "scheduled" oil changes. You know every 3000 miles?!?!?! If you aren't using fully synthetic then shame on your for abusing you Z already!!!

Last edited by Joeys_z; 04-05-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
pgh2atl

I'll be dropping fully synthetic into my car tomorrow although I have my reservations with doing so......

I use to work in the automotive manufacturing industry & beleive me, unless your pushing your car hard every day, in my opinion, an oil change every 3k is not necessary. The company I worked for made oil seals & I've seen some test engines running a good 7k - 15k without an oil change & no damage to the engine.....

But hey, its been a few years since I was in that field & I'm no dummy to the evolution of engines over the years. This will be my first & last time letting so much time go between oil changes.....
Old 04-05-2005, 12:01 PM
bixby

If you don't properly maintenance your car you will void your warranty.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
pgh2atl

Still new to this car & still learning......

But I appreciate everyones input! You guys are awesome!

Hey Bixby, I see that you have 23 coats of Zaino on your ride. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. What is it???
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 PM
RxZ

Dr. Bonz will have to educate you in the ways of Zaino
Old 04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
woodie

Most of the guys on this forum are paranoid about changing their oil and the same guys swear they can tell the difference in Mobil One. Any one with any intellingence at all knows you can't tell any difference in the way a car drives by the type of oil that's in the car. Your best bet is to follow the manufacturers direction on oil changes an not listen to the people on this forum. The European specs for this car calls for oil changes about every 10k and some of the other European cars recommend oil changes at even greater intervals. Todays oil is so good that it really doesn't matter the brand of oil that you use and synthetics should last at least 12 to 15k between oil changes unless you are into some serious racing. I read in Click and Clack that they are now recommending oil changes every 7500 miles up from 5000 miles. Do what you want want, it's your money to waste or save.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by woodie
Most of the guys on this forum are paranoid about changing their oil and the same guys swear they can tell the difference in Mobil One. Any one with any intellingence at all knows you can't tell any difference in the way a car drives by the type of oil that's in the car. Your best bet is to follow the manufacturers direction on oil changes an not listen to the people on this forum. The European specs for this car calls for oil changes about every 10k and some of the other European cars recommend oil changes at even greater intervals. Todays oil is so good that it really doesn't matter the brand of oil that you use and synthetics should last at least 12 to 15k between oil changes unless you are into some serious racing. I read in Click and Clack that they are now recommending oil changes every 7500 miles up from 5000 miles. Do what you want want, it's your money to waste or save.
Very good post, BUT a couple things to add.....1) Oil may last 5k-10k or more with synthetic, but have seen cut-open filters at that mileage & some have had the filtering material inside turn to sludge, literally....won't name brands here... (was in the biz in years past). 2) The high-mileage ads seem to fool people into forgetting to check the oil level every once in a while - ha! Some cars "lose" a little oil over the course of miles (Rx-7, RX-8, Z to a lessor extent).

That said.....I use Mobil 1 synthetic & still change oil & filter every 3k miles - ha! Silly, maybe...but years-old habits are hard to break....
Old 04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
mrZeee

i'd worry about changing the oil before i worry about waxing
Old 04-06-2005, 12:57 AM
NissanZfan

Oh,give me a break. You need to change your oil on a regular basis. Why spend $30,000 and a car and not get a $30.00 oil change. Yeah maybe it wont do any damage right away, but how about 60,000 miles down the road? Dirty oil has dirt grains in it, and in a way is like sand paper. It rubs against all the seals within your engine, and everything starts to leak because it gets rubbed away. Soon enough you start burning oil because it gets past the seal in the piston. Hey, do what you want its your car and treat it the way you want.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 AM
capnfrantic

At least check your oil before going to dealer.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:40 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by RxZ
Dr. Bonz will have to educate you in the ways of Zaino
Yes, I will yield to the true Zaino Master But you may go to www.zainostore.com to learn more.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
pgh2atl

Thanks fellas!

I'm getting the Mobil 1 put in as I type this. Haven't heard from the dealership as to why the 'Service Engine Soon Light' came on, but I should here shortly.......
Old 04-06-2005, 09:55 AM
woodie

Originally Posted by pgh2atl
Thanks fellas!

I'm getting the Mobil 1 put in as I type this. Haven't heard from the dealership as to why the 'Service Engine Soon Light' came on, but I should here shortly.......
The Service Engine Soon Light comes on when your EGR is messed up. Did you check your gas cap to make sure it was tight. That is the most common problem when that light comes on.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM
pgh2atl

Well, I looks like my issue was covered under TSB 02115. False EVAP leak code. Dealership reset & it was covered under warranty. Had nothing to do with the oil.

Still I'll sleep better at night knowing that it wasn't a big issue......