2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Surprised?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marhot
I was negatively surprised by how hard it is to see out of the car. The Z has the worst/most blind spots I've ever encountered in a sports car. (Or any car for that matter)
Have a look at the Audi TT. If you take it for a test ride bring a white cane and a dog as you're halfway blind in that car! To me driving the Audi TT was like driving looking through a slot in a tank. The bubble roof has the driver's head at the crest and the window well below. I had a great view of the headliner and the sunvisors.

I test drove the Audi and both Porsche's. I was surprised how cheap the Z was, how good the thing looked, how smooth it felt over rough roads (relative to the others), and the better view from the driver's possition.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlamMan
You'll understand when you get to be about 24-25 years old. I would imagine 99.9% of people over 25 here will agree.
+1

Okay, I'll bite and give my $.02, I am 30 years old. I grew up a "good kid", I was smart, went to the high level classes in school, etc. I never got into drugs, smoking, drinking, trouble, etc and today I have a Bachelor's degree and a successful career with a high-paying job as a Software Engineer. By all accounts, my parents did their job. Still, looking back I know for a fact that myself and every other child around me lacked life experience and maturity. This is fact. And this is something every teenager on this board will be pi$$ed to read but it's absolutely true I assure you. Please don't take this as an insult (because it's not) and maybe try to be a little humble? It's good that so many of you seem level-headed, well spoken, etc. I commend you and I am always glad to see a younger person who is destined for greatness. But please understand as the old crusty dude on the Nissan commercials used to say, "Life is a journey..." You'll find that starting at around 20, about every 4-5 years you'll reflect on decisions you made in the past and understand a bit more how life works. I am no expert yet, but I am working on my journey so to speak. As the poster above said, around 24-25 you'll understand what people here are saying. Sooo, on the sports car thing at 17...

To me, it's not about jealousy or money, so let's get those weak arguments out of the way up front. I grew up very affluent, well traveled and I had more luxuries than 99% of the kids around me. I feel that young, new drivers lack the maturity and the driving experience for a car such as a Z, Evo, STi, etc. Driving experience takes YEARS to acquire and while you may be a good, safe driver, you are by no means an experienced driver. This is not smoke I'm blowing, there is a reason why your auto insurance is so high. There is data to support my claims, and I've been a teenager. I feel that parents should do whatever makes them feel comfortable, but I will NEVER agree with putting a high-performance car into the hands of a teenager. I think it's poor judgement on anyone's part, I don't care if your kid is the next Einstein. Every time I read about an instance of this I just shake my head in disbelief. Virtually every adult I know of that had a "fast" car at a young age will tell you they are lucky to be alive. Anyway, I'm done. Those of you that have these cars already or will get one soon, PLEASE be careful out there, I don't want to come here and read about anything happening to any of you.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

Default Hmmm

I mean, I know I will sometime if I get it (most probably I will), I know I will gun it but first of all, this won't happen that much, like once every 2 months maybe, and yes I know it only takes one time to end it all, but I think I can handle it. I mean I drive an 04 camry right now and I know it's not fast, but like that other guy said, any car can get up to 100 mph, it just depends how fast it can get up there. And when I drive the Camry I sometimes do accelerate real hard, but before reaching dangerous speeds, I quickly imagine a picture in my head of me ending up either paralyzed/dead/mentally challenged or some other horrible thing that could happen to you in an accident. Then I tell myself, think of what you're doing, think of the consequences, is it really worth speeding like this just to show off or look cool, no. and that actually stops me. So far I've been okay. No tickets, no nothing. I think if I discipline myself like this, then I'll be ready to handle the Z in december.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My daughter turns 16 this summer and there is no way I am letting her even drive my z, much less own one. She is a great kid, straight A's in school, mature for her age, and I trust her implicitly. BUT, that does not mean she has the skills and/or the responsibility to drive a 287 HP RWD sports car. I see her classmates driving around the neighborhood and they all drive too fast, have cells to their ears, and the bass is thumping out of their "system". Teenagers are usually going to push the limits when the opportunity presents itself and I would just as soon take one opportunity out of her hands right from the start. A four cylinder 4 door is much more appropiate for kids that age.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
I mean, I know I will sometime if I get it (most probably I will), I know I will gun it but first of all, this won't happen that much, like once every 2 months maybe, and yes I know it only takes one time to end it all, but I think I can handle it.
This comment just further reflects your ages perspective, i know, i was that age and made the same arguments to myself. There is no possible way for you to put a number on how often youll "gun" the car every month. COmmon man, at least be real with yourself. There are soo many other factors that play into "gunning" your car when a person your age has the pedal of a 350z under their foot. Kids will challenge u, u dont wanna be a *****, you wanna see what ur car can do, you like racing, whatever, all reasons someone ur age will get caught up in the moment and do somehing unintelligent.

I mean I drive an 04 camry right now and I know it's not fast, but like that other guy said, any car can get up to 100 mph, it just depends how fast it can get up there. And when I drive the Camry I sometimes do accelerate real hard, but before reaching dangerous speeds, I quickly imagine a picture in my head of me ending up either paralyzed/dead/mentally challenged or some other horrible thing that could happen to you in an accident. Then I tell myself, think of what you're doing, think of the consequences, is it really worth speeding like this just to show off or look cool, no. and that actually stops me.
You make it sound like here that accidents only happen once youve crossed the 100mph marker, i know people whove lost control goin 30 swervin and don waheter. You also dont have time to think this entire thought process out that youve listed here when ur about to crash, its BOOM! Gone. Trust me, ive totalled 2 cars so i know more about this indoubtedly.

So far I've been okay. No tickets, no nothing. I think if I discipline myself like this, then I'll be ready to handle the Z in december.

To be honest, i wish my parents had never purchased me a nice car when i was young. It was cool and fun and all but my lack of experience led to me sinking unfathomable amounts of money into it, all to be taken away when i lost control in the rain. Age affects more than just crashing while racing!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.theiowachannel.com/news/4280351/detail.html

17 years old w/ a Viper and crashes it, supposedly within the first few hours of ownership.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...?storyid=77210

Teenage kid driving a Honda Prelude 100 in 30 mph zone is killed. The car was ripped in half. They found him with a CD lodged in his throat.

Its a fact. Young people and high-powered sports cars do not mix. Young people are subjected to a tough point in their lives when they are giong through alot of changes, physically and emotionally. Its also why people age 16-25 have the worst insurance rates of any age group.