Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a Z, not too happy with the dealer (input?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Kiamo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a Z, not too happy with the dealer (input?)

I got a 2005 Enthusiast, black with aero. I went in to the dealer to buy a Z, looking mostly at a Performance model or possibly touring. They didn't have one that wasn't an auto in a color I wanted, and they really wanted me to buy one on the lot. I told them I liked the black one, but it didn't have leather or 18s on it... after messing with them a while, they said they'd put leather on it and I got the 18" Nismo wheels off a show car on the floor. After all was said and done (Enthusiast with aero package, leather, Nismo wheels, carpeted floor and trunk mats) I walked out for $35,080 financed.

The leather was $1,100, the wheels were $2,500 (without my old ones). The Nismo wheels retail for $2,300 without tires, which were around a grand, so that didn't seem too terrible (I got 245/40/18F, 275/35/18R S-03s all around).

Now the problems. I still don't have those front tires. I have 245/45/18 Bridgestone RE040 (I think it was, the stock rears on 18s). These tires arn't very good for one thing and the TCS isn't working because the front tires are too tall. They ordered the tires at least a week ago and I haven't even heard back yet. Secondly, they had the leather I was promised put on I believe by another upholster. Its nice and comfortable, but I was promised black leather with orange perforations just as the stock seats are. Click here for a picture of my seats. Not the same and the leather isn't even stretched tight.

And I feel that even though I tried to get the price lower, they screwed me over a bit. The car without the wheels and leather MSRPs just as I got it for $29,910 according to Nissan (They had $30,800 on the sticker). I paid $2500 for wheels/tires and $1100 for leather, which when stacked on their sticker, comes to 34,400. Add the doc fees bla bla etc and that comes to what I paid.

Anyway, so what I'm asking is what should I do? I still have a freekin' dealer tag on the car after 2 weeks because they are waiting for me to bring it in for the new tires before they put the temp tag on. Think I can get more stuff out of them? Re-done (again) seats and possibly a Nismo piece or few to keep me happy? Any ideas?

edit: Basically I'm asking if I still have a leg to stand on threatening them here. Will they even care?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Rosko

I'd like to see more pics of your car

I'm guessing you signed on the dotted line. A deal is a deal. If this is the case, you'll have no leverage. If you haven't signed yet, you can drive the car back and give them the keys! My friend did this once years ago when the dealer tried to screw him before the deal was done.

One thing they definitely care about is Nissan USA's survey after you buy the car. They want a PERFECT survey and will go out of the way to please you. We bought my wife's Altima new from the dealer. They added the BS $500 dealer fee to the negotiated invoice price. I was pissed, and had a small tantrum. They asked if I was okay with the deal. I said no, and I'm going to walk away with a bad feeling toward this dealership. I would've walked away, but my wife REALLY wanted this car. They asked what they can do, and offered several things. I agreed a free window tint would make me feel better. It's not much, but it's something! Try using it.

Visit carbuyingtips.com. If I was you and had all this surplus money to spend on a Z, I would've taken nothing less than what I already had pictured in my mind. There are lots of Nissan dealers. Keep picking through them until you find the right deal on the right car. Nonetheless, your car sounds sweet. The Enthusiast is the best bang for the buck. Black is most beautiful. I'm glad they sold you a 6MT instead of an auto! Sports cars are best when you need both hands and both feet to drive. I'm rather new to Z's, so I don't know what an "aero package" is.

One more thing, call your salesman back every single day until you get your tires. Persistence pays off. If you're not happy with the leather, do the same thing. Complain until they fix it. It looks pretty nice to me, but then again, when I flop down in the Z, my *** hits cloth
Old 04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like how your seats look, nice gathered leather.. mmm.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:38 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you include destination charge?
Or did they have a 500 doc fee?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
ryce4u

umm that doesn't even look like the original Z leather........
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
BigMike

First, welcome to the Z family.

Second, I hate to say it, but you committed a cardinal sin by walking into the dealer and not being willing to walk out if you couldn't get the deal you wanted or they didn't have the exact car. But don't feel bad, it happens to a lot of people.

You paid about $2k too much for the car. I just bought an '05 Enthusiast for $27328 with the floor mats, kick plates, splash gaurds, and cargo convenience. But I did all of my dealing over email and the phone before stepping foot into the dealer. I think the aero package adds $550.

As far as the items that were agreed to, and that you paid for, I just hope you got it in writing on the contract. Did they write Black Leather Seats or Black Leather Seats with Orange perforations? As for the tires, call local shops and if they have the tires in stock, tell the dealer to get them from that dealer and get your car done.

DO NOT be afraid to make the dealer do what you paid for. Be nice until its time to get nasty. If you want the orange perforations in the seats, tell them they aren't right. But you should never leave with something that isn't right in the first place. Put it in writing when you pick up the car that it isn't right and get an action plan for correction, in writing.

My advise is to go back to the dealer and talk to the sales manager. Explain to him your concerns and ask him exactly how they plan to make things right. If they don't have a plan that satisfies you, tell them you want to return the car. Might be tough to do because I know in GA, you only have 3 days which is called "buyers regret".

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 PM
BigMike

Originally Posted by ryce4u
umm that doesn't even look like the original Z leather........
They don't look as tight as the original Z leather, but they still look good.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
1z4u2c

Default nice seats

i like that leather look!
as for the other stuff, yes you got screwed but didn't we all? i mean we believe we got a great deal then we hear about someone getting an even better one, trust me there's plenty of people out there that really got screwed compared to you. not me though , i got my 04 base with every base option (all options) out the door 26,500. who can beat it? huh? huh?

j/k
Old 04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
MadMax76

If you signed the papers, and I assume you did because you have the car for two weeks now, then you won't see anything from them. $35Gs for enth. - I think is hellavalot of money even with wheels and leather. Also, doc fees are total crap, they don't exist but dealers use it to get more money from the unsuspected buyers. I am buying Performance and I got a quote $30,250. So if you take that + tax + reg + extras like wheels and leather it would come out to just about as you paid.

That said, you should have get the survey where you rate dealer's performance. They will probably offer you a free tank of gas to give it to them because they are getting in trouble if they don't get excellent reviews, so you can try to get more stuff out of them by telling them that you gonna rate them very bad on the survey. If I were you I would want revenge . Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:07 PM
tekneq

dude..the leather is not even close.....go in ask for the sales manager...period
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Bran_BranZ33

im sorry to say this but i agree that leather isnt nice looking at all and i can say i did the same thing i demanded the 18s on my z and they traded if off another z on the lot right there i would be pissed bro. Good luck if you signed already Nissan blows when it comes to bending over backwards to help you out..... well at least in my exp.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 AM
n8236

Um..........35k for an ethusiast w/ accessories? I think it's a HUGE ripoff if u ask me. Ppl buy an ethusiast stock 28k otd, so u do the math.......
Old 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Qbrozen

put me down for someone who thinks the leather looks pretty good.

BUT, if you wanted orange inserts, then it should have been done. Did you say anything about that when you picked it up? If you didn't, then shame on you.

As far as the pricing, there's nothing to be done. You paid for the car, signed the papers, and took delivery. End of story. All you can do is learn from this experience and enjoy your cool ride.

good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Alonjar

That leather actually looks very comfortable imho heh. But I guess you would know better than I would. About the orange and stuff not being right, you really should have brought it up to them when you went to the shop, and not have accepted the car untill it was right. I know you're trying to be reasonable, but when you're the customer paying big bucks for a car like this, you dont have to be nice. You tell them how you want it, and that they're going to do it, or you will go to another dealership that will. I'm normally the nicest guy in the world, but when I find myself in a car dealership.. the gloves are off. They're trying to screw you, its their job. You need to try to make sure they screw you as little as possible.

As for the price of the car.. I wouldnt use the term "screwed", but anyone who pays msrp isnt getting as nice of a deal as they could have if they had done the proper research.

In the end, it sounds like all the paper work has been signed, and its a done deal. Be happy that you purchased such an awesome car, and consider those different leather seats a mod lol. Try to pressure the dealership into making things right, use the Nissan owners survey for leverage. and the next time you buy a car, just try to be more patient. When you go to the dealership, don't expect to drive out with a car that day. That way you wont be disapointed, and wont be tempted to compromise. Good luck, and post more pics!