Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Turned off from the Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Stone Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

It's unfortunate that you've had these experiences thus far. All I can say is that they're not *all* bad. If you're still remotely interested in the Z then I highly suggest you get in contact with Dan Ziegler of Smithtown Nissan (631)361-9696....he'll hook you up. He posts here ocassionally under the screen name "bluefish".

Don't sell yourself short because of a few bad apples.
350zSpeedRacer

Dude, you met some real a$$holes! The dealer I went to let me test drive it, and even let me get down on it pretty well. I'm only 22 and I wasn't 100% sure that I was going to buy the car. I'm sorry they treated you that way, but maybe if you try another dealer it won't be as bad.

But, if you want the G35c, it's a nice car, too. It's just not a Z, IMHO. Don't let some d!ck head ruin something you've wanted for so long.
Tman_Z

It's not Nissan that you should be mad at, it's the dumb *** dealer. I don't think that NNA sent out a memo to the dealers instructing them not to let people test drive the cars.

It's the greedy dealers taking advantage of the Z heritage.

Z
Old 11-22-2002, 01:02 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Tman_Z
It's not Nissan that you should be mad at, it's the dumb *** dealer. I don't think that NNA sent out a memo to the dealers instructing them not to let people test drive the cars.

Z
Hear hear...

~raises beer~
Old 11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
LonghornE46M3

I had the same experience. I have a 2001 Silver M3 and I told the guy that I was very interested in a track model and would like to test drive one before I made a purchase. He basically told me that unless I put money down, I would NOT be allowed to test drive one.

F- him.

F- that dealership (Irving TX off 183 near Texas Stadium)

and F- Nissan.

You want to grab sales from the more prestigious marks??? You better start by treating your customers better. Looks like I will be going after a 996 instead.

Old 11-22-2002, 01:21 PM
WashUJon

Ya know what, not to be a ********, but they obviously don't have to care. This doesn't make it ok and, in fact, I'm very annoyed at dealers for this kind of crap. I've had my own personal troubles with dealers before ordering a Z. However, the deal is that they don't have to care. They can be jagoffs and demand money all they want because people just keep buying the car like mad. The demand is so high that these bastards just get greedier and greedier. As soon as the demand drops off or the supply increases significantly, the hassles will fade. If you can't wait to buy the car, then by all means find another to your liking. Otherwise, wait a few months and you'll get a test drive from almost any reputable dealer. You could spend some time and probably find a guy who'd be willing to let you drive one, but the fact is that most of them don't have to care right now...
Old 11-22-2002, 01:33 PM
kaiser23

That sucks man. I called a bunch of Nissan dealers asking about test drives around here, and they all said "NO test drives" so I was thinking the same thing (screw the Z). But I went to a nissan dealer, and applied for financing, and worked out all the payment info and everything, and they let me drive it before I actually signed with no deposit or anything. They just want to know that you're serious about buying the car. I can't say I really blame them, but a policy of no test drives period is just ridiculous.
Don't give up on it though, it's an amazing car. I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:48 PM
nazzdeq

Default Most Nissan dealers blow anyway...

in my experience..and this kind of **** happens all the time. You can test drive 911's, M3's, Vettes, etc.

The Z is a nice car, but it's just a 34k car max, so I don't see what the big deal is about test driving it. There aren't many around you say....well ****in' build some more! When a car is hot is when you need to build it.

If Nissan doesn't build enough, they will lose many Z customers to the new 2004 Supra. Toyota dealers are much better than Nissan ones in my experience too.

I plan to buy one when my BMW lease is up next summer, but if I can't test drive it with no hassles, they can forget it.

I hope that doesn't happen because I've loved the Z since my 92 Midnight Blue one.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:53 PM
xXx

Heh, $2000 deposit would've been great! Here in San Diego they require a 10% deposit. Yes, Touring packg cost me almost $3500 down to order it. AND no they won't let you test drive it until you buy it in which you have 24hrs to return it for a full refund. So believe me, it's not all that bad in your neck of the woods.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:53 PM
markt71Z

It's not just Nissan dealerships. I had a similar experience in trying to test drive a Corvette (used). Sales manager said that it was a dealership policy to not allow test drives of Corvettes unless you were a serious buyer..........don't know how they determine that!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Them Bones

Originally posted by Tman_Z

Z
The dealers are Nissan and Nissan is its dealers. They are one and the same. Unlike Sony, for example, you will not be dealing directly with Nissan for any sales or service issues. You will always be dealing with the dealership.

My local dealers are the same way and I know they don't care, but they lost a sale. If I ever buy a Z, another dealer will get the $$$.

Dealership personnel need to remember that first impressions are everything. If you're willing to suffer through a lousy dealer experience just to own this car, I think you are making a mistake. It's important to me to take the entire experience into consideration - from looking to negotiating to buying to driving to servicing. It all matters to me.

-TB
Old 11-22-2002, 02:17 PM
I want a 350Z

Please call Dan at Smithtown Nissan from the number above. He'll treat you right.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:45 PM
abz123

I know I'll get the flame but I think this is a good policy.

Seems Z owners are very particular about the milage on our cars, and who has been in it.

Would you want to buy a car someone has pushed to the limit? No.

I'm sure when more cars come in they will get demos for people to drive. If I were still shopping for my Z, I would go to a dealer with that policy (absolutely no test drive unless you are serious). I would be leery of dealers that let anyone test drive the Z. Go there for the test drive and then buy from a dealer that doesn't allow 'free' test drives.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:11 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

About 8,000 of us ordered one before we even got to see it in person or knew the final specs (including horsepower).

Why do you need a test drive so badly?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Phatmitzu

Dudes, this has nothing to do with the Nissan. Its the sales person you should be F-ing about. and to turn off a great car like the Z just for a lame-*** sales? ask yourself, is it worth it?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:00 PM
ExoticZ

Originally posted by ethan84ae
About 8,000 of us ordered one before we even got to see it in person or knew the final specs (including horsepower).

Why do you need a test drive so badly?

I think you're missing the point here.
Yes, 8000 people pre-ordered the car, sight unseen. But, that was YOUR choice. This gentleman chose not to put money down first and look at the goods before making a final decision -- a very wise decision might I add.

He needs to test drive it so badly because he has the prerogative to do so as a potential buyer. It's not an unreasonable request.

At the same time, I can understand the dealer's perspective as well. These cars are the hottest thing going right now. I believe that in a few months, when all the hype has died down and the supply and demand curves the other way, the dealer would probably be less restrictive about test drives.

Quick Reply: Turned off from the Z