Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan changing paint process for Daytona Blue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002 | 09:14 AM
OtownZ

Default Nissan changing paint process for Daytona Blue???

I had placed an order for a Daytona Blue Enthusiast-- my dealer just called me and said that Nissan had a problem with the paint on the Daytona Blue matching from panel to panel and they were adjusting the process. He said the problem had been rectified but they weren't going to release my car until it could be reinspected. Is this true or smoke?
Old 11-25-2002 | 09:28 AM
keepupp

I cant confirm your claim, but being an owner of a Daytona Blue Performance model I can tell you that the paint on the bumpers and gas cap DO NOT match the rest of the car. It is only noticeable in certain light, but when you see it, it is pretty bad and makes me wonder how the cars were released with this problem. The clight difference in color wouldnt stop me from being one of the first to own the new 350Z (delivered Aug 28), but now that I look back maybe I should of said something at delivery. Oh well, I guess thats what the 3 yr/36k mi. warranty is for! Good luck on getting your Z!
Old 11-25-2002 | 09:33 AM
OtownZ

My dealer said the issue has been resolved but they weren't going to release it until it was reinspected pushing the date back like 2-3 weeks.

I have two options.

1) Wait for the Blue to come in.

2) Go with the EXACT same car-- in Brickyard. About the same ETA.

I live in FL so I thought the blue might be better from a heat standpoint. But from what you are saying, it sounds like this might be a legit issue? I was getting worried my "honest" dealer wasn't being straight with me.

Any advice from Brickyard and Daytona Blue owners? I'd rather not get a multicolored car.
Old 11-25-2002 | 11:22 AM
BRONXWARRIOR

NONESENCE

i have a daytona blue for 3 months now and it matches fine .

when the car is photograghed at certain angles it looks lighter on the bumpers and gas cap
also the interior looks white when photograghed?

hmmmmmm should i take the seats back and say there not frost too.

BUT THIS IS NOT VISIBLE TO THE NAKED EYE.

heres an example

however i also noticed on redline the bumper looks different to but only when photograghed
Attached Thumbnails Nissan changing paint process for Daytona Blue???-350z_tom_blue.jpg  
Old 11-25-2002 | 11:23 AM
keepupp

If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the Daytona Blue. Yes the bumpers are slightly lighter in color than the rest of the car....BUT, when you look at the car it looks to be ok because the bumpers have a very sharp angle to them and makes you think that the light reflecting off the curved parts is making the color change. All in all it KINDA disturbs be that the paint is not the same all around because it makes me wonder about how much Nissan paid attention to detail with the rest of the car. If you are choosing between Blue and Brickyard and they have the same ETA then stick with your original choice because that was the color your gut told you to go with. You wont be disappointed (at lease not too much! haha!)

Dan
Old 11-25-2002 | 11:29 AM
rahilio

same thing here man would not choose anything but blue again
i love this color it stands out nicely on the road. you can barely tell the diffrence
Old 11-25-2002 | 11:33 AM
shagz

They mix a special additive to the paint to make it flexible. The bumpers and gas cover is plastic so the paint has to be flexible. Also, depending on whether you get a metallic color or not, the size of the metallic flakes make a difference too. I have a CS, and recently had the bumpers painted. This is what the Nissan bodyshop told me.
Old 11-25-2002 | 12:00 PM
OtownZ

My guess is that if this is true---then enough people mentioned it that Nissan upgraded their process. I was told it had something to do with the process and there was some mention of an additive.

My salesman was kind enough to get the owner of the dealership to call Nissan and get a specific date as to when the cars were getting re-inspected. When I told them my car was up for sale and I didn't want to be without they told me they were going to look into getting one for me sooner.
Old 11-25-2002 | 12:08 PM
mwaller

Color mismatch seems to be a problem on most, if not all colors. My REDLINE has it, and I've seen first hand that SilverStone and Daytona Blue have the same issue. This is not unique to Nissans, either. I've seen plenty of Audi A6s and Toyota Camrys with the same problem.
Mika
Old 11-25-2002 | 12:42 PM
ztom

Don't notice any color differences in my Super Black. In the photo above of the Blue, i didn't see any orange peel - wish mine looked that good.
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:00 PM
OtownZ

This was something that Nissan has decided to address apparently--- I haven't complained or anything to anyone. My salesman indicated that Nissan is trying to go to great lengths to ensure high quality on these cars.
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:30 PM
Dean

atcga,

Your DB is fine? Actually your pic is actually the best illustration of the color mismatch I've seen.
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:33 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

ill tell ya what though
IF NISSAN is repainting the bumpers and gas caps to match better
i will change the gas cap.

only cause i can do it easily.
i wish theyed come up with somthing more sturdy then the crap they have now
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:40 PM
LowFuel

Originally posted by OtownZ
This was something that Nissan has decided to address apparently--- I haven't complained or anything to anyone. My salesman indicated that Nissan is trying to go to great lengths to ensure high quality on these cars.
I guess what I want to know is are they willing to repaint existing cars? Unfortunately I doubt it. Mine has a slight mismatch as well, quite noticable in certain light.

Atcga, I'm afraid Dean is right, your pic actually illustrates the mis-match quite well. Looking at it in Photoshop your rear bumper is about 8% brighter on average than the side panel when sampling colors just on either side of the joint line.
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:45 PM
OtownZ

I don't think they would repaint anything. You bought the car as is, and it isn't like the paint was hiding.

Although it seems to be something that DB owners notice, would most still purchase a DB again?
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:47 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

i only see it when phtograghed
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:50 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

It's not just the bumpers and gas cap. All the plastic pieces vary, some more than others, depending on the particular car.

I have people ask me all the time why the bumpers are a different color than the car. Bright sunshine seems to be the only time I don't find it very noticeable...and even then not at all angles.

I hope Nissan does institute some sort of TSB or equivalent for us existing owners. With my luck, after the fix the colors would still be way off. I know it is extremely difficult to get a perfect match...a close match would be nice though.

Tom- consider yourself lucky.

JD
Old 11-25-2002 | 02:53 PM
TRACK350z

i think both cars look loke they have diffrent color panels.
I have an M3 with the same color, but it does not change from bumper to hood etc..

I would at least let nissan know, so that in the future you can get it repaired!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-2002 | 03:06 PM
TCL

Have you seen both the Daytona Blue and Brickyard in person? If I had seen both before I ordered, it would have been very tough to decide between the two. The Brickyard looks great in the sun. The Daytona Blue looks great in any light but there is a chance of the mismatch you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Nissan changing paint process for Daytona Blue???