Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is black really that hard to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 02:19 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black is definitely one of the nicest colors on a car IF it is clean. The problem is...Black = Dust Magnet. Well, let me rephrase that...every car pretty much gets their equal share of dust but it's definitely more visible on Black than any other color out there. That's why you have to wipe it down pretty much on a regular basis.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:41 PM
dchi_t

this is my procedure on how to keep my black z blingin'.

1) wash
2) paint cleaner or polish (clay bar every) 3 months
3) wax
4) wait a couple hrs to allow first coat to cure
5) apply 2nd coat
6) wait 1 hr to cure
7) apply carnuba coat
8) done

once i do this, the shine stays for an extremely long period of time. and i park in a covered carport. everymorning i use the cali duster to dust off all the dust and then wipe it to a shine w/ those white 100% cloths u can buy at the autostores...i think its called a buffing cloth? not sure. but the cali duster puts a hazy look on the paint and the buffing cloth fixes that to a complete "just waxed" shine. i do it every morning when warming up my car for work. thats my process..and it works wonders..no scratches what so ever...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Art Vandaleigh

I'll chime in and agree with most people's comments here. No other color looks better clean and waxed, but the up keep is the worst. Basically if you are a stickler for a dirty car, might as well shy away from the black. It gets dusty pretty much instantly, water spots stand out horribly, and chips/blemishes can be seen more clearly than any other color. If you live somewhere that has more favorable weather like cali, SB might be a good choice.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Camel

Just keep it waxed and rinse it often and you'll be fine. Every color scratches the same, black is just really good at showing it. Nothing looks as good as black when it's clean IMO...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Optics is a pain.

Black absorbs all the colors of the spectrum meaning that anything not black on the finish will reflect the light making whatever it is stick out ... like a snowball sitting in a field of coal.

I clean mine every time I drive it ... OK, almost everytime I drive it. I keep it under a cover in the garage to avoid the dust there. While driving I pick up pollen which shows up as a layer of dust - comes off with one of those California car brushes.

The color really pops - the 35th comes in black, yellow, and silver. I wouldn't have the silver as the color is really common here. The yellow would be nice but ... the cops love the color too!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:04 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamDC
It may be a huge pain in the A$$, but nothing looks like a black ZR right after you finish waxing it.
+2...If your the type of guy who is a fanatic about clean cars like me...get the SB. It also forces me to have it looking in an "outstanding condition"... mostly all the time. Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:08 PM
St@inless

Black is actually pretty easy to maintain! Please check out this website = it tells you how to use a random orbital polisher and shows you what it can do to ... A: repair swirls/blemishes/water spots and B: cut your waxing time to minutes instead of hours with a rich/deep wet look to the black http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html I always wash the car at night to avoid water spots created by the sun and always gently pat instead of rub the car dry with a microfiber towel to avoid scratches (this is the same with any color ... they all use the same clearcoat = don't let others fool you by saying the black clearcoat is cheaper or different than the other colors) If you wash once a week and keep the car frequently waxed = you will ahieve head turning results! If you collect dust during the week = just do a 5 minute once-over with a calif. duster and you will be good as newly washed again. Hope this helps = and by the way = Super Black just looks plain evil on a Z!
Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 AM
damoniusmonk

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Black looks damn sexy!

I wash and wax by hand (I use NXT wax)

It's got chips up front, but man this car gleams when it's clean.

I wash every week, use detailer on spots, like birdstuff or bugs. I also use california duster and I keep it covered every night to keep the corrosive sprinkler water off my Z

Enjoy black, it looks great, very upscale and mean.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

Default Like how fast ?

I mean, the thing with me is that whenever I buy something new and expensive, I take care of it like the first week. Like I got an ipod right, the first 2 weeks I took care of it, I always checked if it was in my pocket, never threw it around and always kept it in its case. Then after those few weeks, I'd drop it, sometimes leave it at places. My point is I take care of things only like the first few weeks I get them. And my dad told me, the 350 will be the same. I told him you're wrong, this is a car, and a really cool one, he was like yeah, but after a while, it'll turn into everything else you buy and own. And I told him no, I will take care of it, even if it's black. He said, yeah, now instead of 2 weeks of taking, it'll be 2 months, then after that you'll be back to not taking care often or at all. In my head , I'm telling myself, I will wash it every day. I'll dust it. clean the wheels often.

Do you think black is a good idea for me? I think I'll be able to handle it.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Camel

Who knows man, it's your car and only you know if you are willing to keep it clean. Silver or Gray are going to be the best colors for lazy people.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 AM
dchi_t

well as for myself, i admit to have an extreme mild case of OCD, but none-the-less still have some OCD in me, so i tend to get over picky w/ my stuff of how it looks, the cleaness, and what order i do things in, i always wipe down the car in the morning first w/ the cali duster then a buffing towel to bring back the "just waxed" shine....can u imagine when it starts to rain and i won't be able to wipe down the car? i go bananas
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
Do you think black is a good idea for me? I think I'll be able to handle it.
I highly recommend that you test drive many different Z's.

It took me six months before I was absolutely sure which color and package I wanted.

Do not jump into it....take your time. You will be glad you did.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by wookie
no its not that hard to clean black
and black - king color so go for black
all my cars black was and gonna be black
Is this a haiku? Or iambic pentameter?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
seanrulz

I'll be the 10000000th person saying that black is the toughest color to keep clean. And yeah, nothing can beat BLACK right after carwash and wax. But it won't last 2 days. (Even after my trip back home from carwash place, I start to see dusts right off! And I found scratches on my car on the day after my first carwash, and since then, I lost count. Frankly, I just try not to recognize them anymore because it's just not good for your mental health.

But at the same time, black shows the most distinct and noticeable improvement on waxes.

Oh, and Black car owners don't have to give **** about color matching when they paint the bodykit or repair body damage. Black is Black. (Except, of course, for those with metallic "blackish" colors.)

If I could choose my Z's color again, I'd go with PPW. (White)

Last edited by seanrulz; 05-04-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Fiction520

Black is pretty hard to take care of but so is red. It doesn't get dusty like black does but it shoes scratches just as easily and oxidizes the fastest of any color. That is something to think about if you don't have a garage or carport. If my Z wasn't garaged I probably would have bought a PPW one. I love my black Z and nothing comes close in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
The Black Z

Originally Posted by G Spot
If you wash it weekly, wax it every other week, and Zaino it once monthly, then no,and it looks hawt! But it does collect dust like no other.
My other car that's silver only needs to be washed with waxed car wash mix once-a-month. So, yes.
what is zaino?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 PM
davelw

Originally Posted by The Black Z
what is zaino?
Use this link to learn about/buy Zaino.
http://www.zainostore.com/
I've used many waxes/polishes on my rides. I really liked the multi-step polishes & waxes from Meguires.
Then, after visiting some car boards a few years ago, I heard about Zaino. I had a 2000 Mustang GT vert (black), and currently have a 02 SS Camaro vert (arrest-me Red), and a black Tahoe. Nothing looks as good as the Zaino on any of 'em.
The more you use it, the deeper the shine. Unlike most waxes, it is a polymer polish, not solvent based. Solvent based remove previous applications - you never "build" additional coats.
Enough preaching - just give it a try. They make a variety of products, but to start, try the Z-5 with ZFX.
Follow their directions - a little goes along way - very thin coats are all you need.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:22 PM
The Black Z

thanks man I will do.. this is a total change but if you could check my forum out about tires.. need some help there too...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
I'm still stuck between a redline or a black. My only concern with the black is the fact that it gets dirty real fast. Is it really that big of an issue ? Like how often will I need to wash it in order to keep it shiny?
Just wash it once a week. You need to do this anyway to get the dust off the wheels. If redline is really Red, then my concern is that it may get the attention of the wrong people. Same with Yellow. If you get a Black car, don't let anyone near it with a power buffer.

Car Circle of Life
Chrysler 300 sans V8
Dodge Colt
Honda 360 Motorbike
240Z
Honda 750K Motorbike
Mercury Cougar 390 V8
Dodge Challenger 340
Dodge Conversion Van
Chevy S10
Ford Taurus 4 Banger ! MT
Acura Legend
Camaro Z80
GMC Suburban
Mercedes 500 SL
Mercedes C320 AWD
Nissan Z Roadster
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 PM
chaunz

Black is easy. Buy a car GOOD cover and one of those dust mops. Dust and over it after use, Takes a minute. You will enjoy. Heck, Henry Ford was right!

Quick Reply: Is black really that hard to keep clean?