Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is black really that hard to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Melodic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NISMO_Z
black is a ***** to keep clean......but looks sooooo damn good when it is

YEP! I have a black Viper and I HATE having to clean it every day just to make it look like it hasnt been driven in a dust storm all day. My yellow one will be here next week so the black is being sold.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black Z
what do you wash it with? I use that mr.clean auto dry thing. With really nice soft cloths.
I usually just use some regular old meguiar's carwash soap and any old liquid wax from time to time. Wash with a soft sponge and dry with a real chamois. I had a really really really bad parking spot for 2 years, so it was inevitable to get bird crap all over. I was thinking about repainting the hood of the car, but there's no need now that I'm selling.

I'll probably upgrade my carwashing stuff to Zaino when I pick up the Z, it seems to come highly recommended by at least 95% of its users.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by The Black Z
what do you wash it with? I use that mr.clean auto dry thing. With really nice soft cloths.
I usually use a microfiber wash mitt...with the right amount of soap, it does a great job. For drying, I use a California Water Blade to squeegee off the majority of the water, then I get the remaining droplets with a chamois. After drying, I'll apply a quick detailer with some microfiber cloths to remove whatever water spotting and light dust remains.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:17 PM
demonx

Yes it sucks, I had a DB Z before my superblack and every day I wish I never made that trade.
Plus black seems to hide the sportiness of the Z in my opinion while the blue brings it out.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:41 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

Default dang

I'm stuck between 3 colors then, black, red, and silver. WHICH ONE
red=stands outs, cop magnet, orange in suna
black=nice as hell when clean, really hard to keep clean, after a few years, a lot of scratches and other spots are clearly visible
silver=doesnt't stand out, ease to keep clean, too simple

WHICH ONE!! lol
Old 05-23-2005, 06:01 PM
jcpeyton

I've got to put my 2c in here- I maintain my SB ZR with menzerna final polish w/ a PC polisher and white or black pad (periodically), meguires nxt paste wax, and meguires nxt spray detailer to keep the Arizona dust from building up.
EVERY morning, while drinking my coffee and smoking the first of my 5 daily allotted cigarettes, I use a california brush.
I don't view this so much as a pain in the *** as I do part of my morning ritual. I couldn't imagine driving my boat to work dirty, and coming across my buddy's black BoxsterS clean as a pin.
Nissan's paint seems to be very soft, but the menzerna and nxt keep my swirls/minor scratches to a visible minimum.
Long story short, when my black boat is clean it looks beautiful. I don't envy or want any other color.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
The Black Z

california brush? that dust cleaner thing that they sold off tv?

how come my black looks like ****?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM
jcpeyton

Yup. I bought mine @ autozone (or something like it), and judging by the number of members who also use it, as well as the experiences of non-Z-owner friends who also use it, as well as my own experirnce, IT WORKS. Follow instructions, and don't treat it as a wash/wax/detailer substitute; it's just a really good duster that I've gotten in the habit of using before I take my SB ZR out.

If you're not happy w/ the way your SB looks, do a search in detailing for products/techniques. I found the Porter Cable and menzerna intensive polish, then menzerna final polish II worked really well for me. There are so many products/options/opinions on this subject, and pix of users' results that I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. That's one reason why this forum is such a great resource. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by jcpeyton
Yup. I bought mine @ autozone (or something like it), and judging by the number of members who also use it, as well as the experiences of non-Z-owner friends who also use it, as well as my own experirnce, IT WORKS. Follow instructions, and don't treat it as a wash/wax/detailer substitute; it's just a really good duster that I've gotten in the habit of using before I take my SB ZR out.
I'll second that...The Cali Duster is awesome for removing all the light dust that accumulates overnight (especially during pollen season). When you have a black car, it's standard equipment for keeping that just-washed look.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:17 AM
AZNNBLK

red would be my first choice, but i picked black.. lotz n lotz of work! black def shows evry speck of dust.. but when it is washed (weekly) n dusted (almost every other day), black def looks great! thanks for the tip on zaino. great product!
Luis
Old 05-24-2005, 08:20 AM
thndrgd

take a look....I bought the car with 8000 miles on her. She had some bad swirl marks which is typical. After a weekend of applying swirl remover (w/ porter cable), mequaires glaze and two coats of their #26 carnuba, she was perfect. It's been about a month since then and she still looks great. No extra wax applications, just hand washing about every week.

Black is definitely harder to keep clean. There's no way of getting around it. But the effort is well worth it. There's nothing more beautiful than a clean black car.

The car mirrored in my door panel is my buddies GSR.
Attached Thumbnails Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03853a.jpg   Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03892a.jpg   Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03921a.jpg  
Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
The Black Z

Originally Posted by thndrgd
take a look....I bought the car with 8000 miles on her. She had some bad swirl marks which is typical. After a weekend of applying swirl remover (w/ porter cable), mequaires glaze and two coats of their #26 carnuba, she was perfect. It's been about a month since then and she still looks great. No extra wax applications, just hand washing about every week.

Black is definitely harder to keep clean. There's no way of getting around it. But the effort is well worth it. There's nothing more beautiful than a clean black car.

The car mirrored in my door panel is my buddies GSR.
where would you buy this stuff?
and a porter cable?
let me know thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 08:50 AM
thndrgd

swirl remover: http://www.topoftheline.com/hitligcutswi.html

porter cable: http://www.topoftheline.com/porter-cable-polisher.html

glaze and wax you can get at autozone or any auto parts store. I like meguaires, but I've heard great things about zaino also.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Zmeflyby

When it rains, that is when its a pain. Water spots!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM
thndrgd

hey, Zme...how do you like your basslink? pros/cons...?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:39 PM
The Black Z

swirl remover: http://www.topoftheline.com/hitligcutswi.html

porter cable: http://www.topoftheline.com/porter-cable-polisher.html

glaze and wax you can get at autozone or any auto parts store. I like meguaires, but I've heard great things about zaino also.

so its a buffer you bought... how did you do the motion of the buffer? (example circles, up and down?)

how much pressure?

so the wax you can buy at autozone?

thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 02:43 PM
thndrgd

here's the process. It does a great job with step by step instructions for first timers.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/det...1430487&page=1
Old 05-24-2005, 02:55 PM
The Black Z

so basically you need to be very careful doing it so you don't mess up your paint and take your time doing each section until the car it completely done?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Zmeflyby

hey, Zme...how do you like your basslink? pros/cons...?

I love it man. That thing hits really hard. You'll love it.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Zmeflyby

Pros:
Save space
Hits hard for just a 10

Cons:
not really anything

Quick Reply: Is black really that hard to keep clean?