Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone here do the oil changes them self?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:17 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing dealerships do that pisses me off is us impact wrenchs to put bolts back on.

WTF should ANYONE have to use a 18" breaker bar to undo a drail plug? bah
been there done that.....
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 more thing I hate about dealerships...they balanced my tires and scratched my rims putting them back on. All inside around the lug you can see bare metal where the paint came off. Ughhh...damn dealerships.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
pvknight

I was wondering if anyone uses ramps instead? That's what I've always done - any reason everyone is recommending using jacks and stands?

p.s. I plan to run Valvoline conventional oil instead of risking synthetic leaks. Recommended weight for SoCal?

-Brian
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use ramps! reason being is i had those and not a jack stand. Many people will tell you using a ramp for an oil change isnt the best bc you wont get a full drain of old oil out of the car but this hasnt been my experience with the Z. Since ive been changing my oil its been 4.5 quarts out 5 quarts in every time.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 PM
elms350Z

I recently changed my own oil at 3k. But then I received an email from my dealer that I had to get a 3,700k miles services. I assume this was an oil change but it stated not having this done could void my warranty. Although I did it myself I didn't keep the receipt. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of going to the dealership and pay for another oil change so I have documentation. Please advise.

Thanks

ElmZ
Old 07-07-2005, 04:42 AM
davelw

I found this thread in the Repair Forum to be very hekpful.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=oil+change
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by elms350Z
But then I received an email from my dealer that I had to get a 3,700k miles services. I assume this was an oil change but it stated not having this done could void my warranty.
Don't let the dealer feed you this BS. They just want to make money off of you for maintenance service which is where most dealers make their money. Tell them you do your own maintenance and not to call or e-mail you about it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:58 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by elms350Z
I recently changed my own oil at 3k. But then I received an email from my dealer that I had to get a 3,700k miles services. I assume this was an oil change but it stated not having this done could void my warranty. Although I did it myself I didn't keep the receipt. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of going to the dealership and pay for another oil change so I have documentation. Please advise.

Thanks

ElmZ
I got the same notice from the dealer and called them and read the riot act to them. I told them their notice to me sound like a threat. That if I didn't get my oil changed at the dealer, my warranty would be void. The service manager assured me that isn't the case. He said to write down in the maintenance manual every time I change the oil myself and sign it. I changed to Mobile 1 at 1800 miles but didn't keep the receipts. I'll probably do that in the future.

What kills me is how Nissan is so hard-assed about warranty work. I've owned several Hondas and other brands and those companies bend over backwards to help out in a warranty situation. What that tells me is Nissan has too many warranty claims and instead of improving their product, they choose to make warranties a hassle.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Low J.
Banned

I used to do all my own oil changes on all my vehicles but these days by the time I go buy a few quarts of synthetic and a new filter it's within $10 or so of the price to just have someone else do it so I just same myself the hassle now and get it done at the dealer.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
TK2005

What we do at our shop that most people don't is use an extra quart of oil. If you pour one quart of clean oil through the engine with the drain plug out, it will catch everything left inside stuck to the walls and in the oil galleys. Some really dirty engines require a couple extra quarts. Next time you do it, have your friend pour in the oil and you watch the stream below. You can see when the stream is clear again. We like to do little extra things like that to insure the best service. I am also a fan of Gunk Motor Flush for higher mileage engines.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by gatti-man
I use ramps! reason being is i had those and not a jack stand. Many people will tell you using a ramp for an oil change isnt the best bc you wont get a full drain of old oil out of the car but this hasnt been my experience with the Z. Since ive been changing my oil its been 4.5 quarts out 5 quarts in every time.
I also use ramps and because my driveway has an angle to it, the car is almost flat, much flatter than on jack stands in the garage. I switch my Injen filter every oil change as well with a spare and the whole operation takes less time than the drive back and forth to the dealership.

Chris