Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone here do the oil changes them self?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:30 AM
maniax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Does anyone here do the oil changes them self?

im a newbie here and going to get a Z soon, does anyone here do their oil changes by them self? and can u teach me how and what tools i need? thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Lerxst

I drive it to the dealership myself

I'm sure there's a how-to thread somewhere if you want to do a search.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:18 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Well the search SUCKS!

Easy to DIY though!

Last edited by zand02max; 05-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Lerxst

awww... I feel generous today... but don't get all mushy on me!!!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=oil+change
Old 05-21-2005, 04:08 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

No better way to know that it's done right than to DIY
Old 05-21-2005, 04:09 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always do mine by myself. Tools neccessary are your basic set of sockets and socket wrench unless the last person did a number on the oil filter, then you might need an oil filter removal tool. All you do is remove the big black plastic underbody cover which is held on by about 10 10mm bolts and one plastic thing. Then you remove the drain plug and drain the oil. Put the plug back in and remove the oil filter and replace it. Then put the underbody cover back on and drop the car. Then fill it up with approx 5 quarts. Only thing that makes it any different than most cars is removing the cover to get to the filter.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:27 PM
LaoSiFu

I always have my oil change at home. As of matter of fact, I am making the woman changing my oil right now. Too hot outside, don't want to leave the house
Old 05-21-2005, 09:47 PM
soldierboy

i do it myself toooo.... not that hard at all..........I didn't have to unbolt all ten 10mm bolts like Kingtut said... all i did was unbolted 2 or 3 bolts on the filter side and pulled down on the cover and stick my hand to work on the filter.......... and before u install the filter don't forget to put a thin coat of oil around the filter gasket..
Old 05-21-2005, 09:50 PM
SSZVirginia

Nope, the dealership does it.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
tware

I've had to return too many times for dealer oil changes. This was at Nissan dealers, 3 occasions were I had bad leaks afterward, 3 different dealers. Of course it was only minor because I noticed right away. It wasnt so much that it happened, but rather the dealer's total lack of concern for sending me out like that.

I've talked to a few General Managers at dealerships. If things are busy, the lowest guy in the service dept is stuck with oil changes. And that is almost always. I've been told that its not uncommon for at least one car to be started without oil once a month. But that they could often put oil in and drive it a few miles and if nothing happened, nothing was said. They usually only bought one engine a year. This is a dealer, not a jiffy lube either. I've known quite a few service writers, managers and GMs (not in the auto business tho), and those statistics are pretty common I'm told.

I do my own now.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:09 PM
FLZ_Boy

Always good to check your oil levels after an oil change from a stealership. I guess it's always helpful to look underneath to make sure there isn't any puddles forming on the ground.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by King Tut
I always do mine by myself. Tools neccessary are your basic set of sockets and socket wrench unless the last person did a number on the oil filter, then you might need an oil filter removal tool. All you do is remove the big black plastic underbody cover which is held on by about 10 10mm bolts and one plastic thing. Then you remove the drain plug and drain the oil. Put the plug back in and remove the oil filter and replace it. Then put the underbody cover back on and drop the car. Then fill it up with approx 5 quarts. Only thing that makes it any different than most cars is removing the cover to get to the filter.
um, no, you don't have to remove the big black cover. there's a cutout for the oil. you do need floorjack, jack stand, unless you're anorexic. i change my own every other oil change so dealer can't say i haven't changed my oil and wiggle out of warranty issues.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Z BOY

um, no, you don't have to remove the big black cover, just a few bolts near the oil pan. there's a cutout for the oilpan bolt. you do need floorjack, jack stand, unless you're anorexic. i change my own every other oil change so dealer can't say i haven't changed my oil and wiggle out of warranty issues.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:28 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Z BOY
um, no, you don't have to remove the big black cover, just a few bolts near the oil pan. there's a cutout for the oilpan bolt. you do need floorjack, jack stand, unless you're anorexic. i change my own every other oil change so dealer can't say i haven't changed my oil and wiggle out of warranty issues.
You guys can go ahead and bend your black cover and save your 5 minutes. I am sure that is what the Nissan dealer is doing. I will remove it completely and make sure I don't mess it up. I know there is a cutout for the oil pan bolt, as I stated you remove the cover to make sure you can get the filter off without getting oil everywhere. I only give advice from the service manual. Here you go, note the red section:
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone here do the oil changes them self?-oil_change.gif  
Old 05-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by maniax
im a newbie here and going to get a Z soon, does anyone here do their oil changes by them self? and can u teach me how and what tools i need? thanks
I don't let my dealer or anyone else touch my car, because who knows what the they'd do to it....probably molest the engine or something .

I think having good oil is one of the most important things in keeping an engine running well, and by changing the oil myself, I can do a much better job by allowing the old stuff to be completely drained before adding new oil. Because time is money at the dealer, who knows if they let the old oil drain completely before adding new oil, allowing some of the oil to get mixed up with the new.

+1 with what others have said. It's simple; you'll need a wrench + a proper socket, and a small hydraulic jack/stand (Probably cost around $45 dollars total at Walmart or similar places). Don't use that OEM jack to change your oil! I swear those scissor jacks are designed to cut the crap out of you .

By the way, keep those receipts of the oil and oil filters you buy, just for proof that you've been changing your oil incase warrantee work needs to be done.

Last edited by Tenac1ousZ; 05-22-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:41 AM
del105
15 f125

Time spent driving somewhere and waiting while a 16 year old changes your oil, you could do it yourself 5 times.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

You guys can go ahead and bend your black cover and save your 5 minutes. I am sure that is what the Nissan dealer is doing. I will remove it completely and make sure I don't mess it up. I know there is a cutout for the oil pan bolt, as I stated you remove the cover to make sure you can get the filter off without getting oil everywhere. I only give advice from the service manual. Here you go, note the red section:

HAHA...power tool...nice way to destroy the plastic cover.

I know for a fact that the dealer only undoes a few bolts because my plastic cover has a nice little stress crease on it where they bent it to replace the filter.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
HAHA...power tool...nice way to destroy the plastic cover.
Yeah if they don't crease your cover, then they will probably strip out the threads for the bolts with the power tools. . Although a nice air ratchet would probably work fine I would just use a 10mm socket and socket wrench. Resist the urge to break out your new impact wrench, haha.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impact wrench does wonders on "removing" the plastic bolts. Just make sure you DO NOT torque them back tight.

On another note you don't have to remove the cover if you're just changing your oil, however, I also like to change the filter while Im down there.... so you need to remove it.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Yeah if they don't crease your cover, then they will probably strip out the threads for the bolts with the power tools. . Although a nice air ratchet would probably work fine I would just use a 10mm socket and socket wrench. Resist the urge to break out your new impact wrench, haha.
LOL

Service tech: Ok next step in changing this customers oil is to whip out that big ass pneumatic drill.
Trainee: Really? Why not just use a ratchet?
Service tech: Because it doesn't make really cool sounds that trick the customer into thinking that we're doing something special.

LOL

Quick Reply: Does anyone here do the oil changes them self?