Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:15 PM
lilchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help.....

I hope i will not sound like a total tard but i have a question and i'm sure i will have lots more later. I finally got my Z last week its an 05 6sp manual which i love great car. Well, i used to drive a hot celica but needless to say it was not nearly as fast as the 350z. My celica was also a manual and i had no problems driving it. Now when i drive the z i'm just not use to the clutch at all. Like i said i have had it for a week and the clutch is so different and i'm just not sure when to shift and how, i know it might sound dumb. But i mean i'm so bad at it that i think a Ford Pinto could beat me one on one right now . Is there any catch to the clutch? Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to shift and how far to press the clutch in? I do not know if its because it a new car with only 200miles on it or what? but i need some suggestions of how to drive my Z, i love that car a lot
Old 06-05-2005, 08:46 PM
wireben

How could I resist myself...

I will call this one::: "Z & A" Analogy

Driving the Z for the first time is like making love to a new girl after a 5 year relationship with the now ex-girlfriend. This is how it starts; You get in "it" and know exactly what to do...I mean you have been doing it for the last 5 years...but with the same tired, old, boring "thing". The problem is that this new, fast, exotic "female" is making you think that she is too much for you. Leaving you with thoughts of confusion, questioning your performace, and wondering if you are up to the task of mastering your new "ride". With that said..take it slow my friend...new or old the "gears & pedals" are in the same place and they can all be "manipulated" to give you the explosive "feeling" you are looking for. You will soon master your "Z"...

And for you future Z Owners, do as I did:::

During your long term relationships..."rent" a car from time to time to keep the "new car" feeling close to your "heart" and not end up like our bud "lilchief".

BP...
Old 06-05-2005, 08:51 PM
MADDOG`

I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the clutch in my '03 Track as well. I was all befuddled as I have been driving manual trans vehicles for yrs. I found that a short blip on the throttle when starting to move, plus a small blip between 1st and 2nd helped me smooth it out. One other technique that works between 1st and 2nd is not to let the RPM's drop too much. But you can hold the RPM too high and slip the clutch. A little experimentation and practice does the trick.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by MADDOG`; 06-05-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MADDOG`
I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the clutch in my '03 Track as well. I was all befuddled as I have been driving manual trans vehicles for yrs. I found that a short blip on the throttle when starting to move, plus a small blip between 1st and 2nd helped me smooth it out. One other technique that works between 1st and 2nd is not to let the RPM's drop too much. But you can hold the RPM too high and slip the clutch. A little experimentation and practice does the trick.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
+1...this is what I do. Still getting used to the clutch.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by wireben
How could I resist myself...

I will call this one::: "Z & A" Analogy

Driving the Z for the first time is like making love to a new girl after a 5 year relationship with the now ex-girlfriend. This is how it starts; You get in "it" and know exactly what to do...I mean you have been doing it for the last 5 years...but with the same tired, old, boring "thing". The problem is that this new, fast, exotic "female" is making you think that she is too much for you. Leaving you with thoughts of confusion, questioning your performace, and wondering if you are up to the task of mastering your new "ride". With that said..take it slow my friend...new or old the "gears & pedals" are in the same place and they can all be "manipulated" to give you the explosive "feeling" you are looking for. You will soon master your "Z"...

And for you future Z Owners, do as I did:::

During your long term relationships..."rent" a car from time to time to keep the "new car" feeling close to your "heart" and not end up like our bud "lilchief".

BP...
What a great analogy!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:57 PM
lilchief

thanks guys for your comments and suggestions, i guess i'm just gonna have to keep on practicing hopefuly with time i will get it done smoth and quick.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On a flat surface, the Z will go in first gear with almost no throttle (~1-5%).

The secret to smooth starts is simply letting the clutch out slower.

If you're getting bouncy starts, you just need to slip the clutch a little more while giving it slightly more throttle. But don't slip it with the revs too high, or you will burn the clutch.

I don't know anything about how to perfect a quick start, as would be the case for racing. From what I've seen, racing starts seem to have higher revs, faster clutch out (but most recommend not to drop the clutch), and slight wheel spin.

IMO 1st -> 2nd is also a pretty tough shift to perfect, but I usually let the clutch out really fast just up to the engagement point, then let it slip for a microsecond, and then let it fast up the rest of the way. It's kinda hard to describe this technique well, but I no longer get any bouncing when I shift 1->2.

I'm still pretty newb on the Z's MT, when I try to beat traffic and start quickly on a left turn I usually end up either bouncing slightly or revving a little too high and feeling like I'm burning the clutch.

I would love to ride with someone who knows about racing, so I can see what racing starts and shifts are like... I'm such a newb outside of casual driving