Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ok, Its desided, I'm Going to Get a Z...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 10:36 AM
DrCold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, Its desided, I'm Going to Get a Z...

So i went to the dealer last night and checked out the z they had in the show room. It was a used one, and they just keep it there for show, i guess the new ones dont stay very long. Well, its a beautifull car, everything about it seems to attract me to it even more. So its desided then, i'm going to sell my truck, hopefully break even, then buy the car. Now it comes down to price. Im looking at a Performance Model with all options execpt splash guards. But thats just because i havent seen enough cars with splash guards on them yet. Does anyone have any pics i could compair against?

When i do the config. on nissanusa.com, i come up with ruffly 34k. Whats the best price i should shoot for at a dealer? When i bought my truck, the sticker said $29,990, but i drove off the lot with it for only 24k after all taxes, licensing, and 75k mile extended warrenty. What did you guys pay for your cars? I dont want to ask for to little, i understand they have to make money off this, and i dont want to insult them. For me, 30k would be the magic number, but if lower is possible, by all means i'll go for that. I have very little experiance with car dealers, so thats why im asking for a little help. This is a major purchase for me, and its going to stretch the limits of my budget, but damnit, i dont just want this car, i NEED IT! It all depends on if i can get my truck sold and break even. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

DrCold

P.S.
I blame this all on you guys, its your fault for making me want one of these cars. :P
Old 12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
WashUJon

Another inductee!!!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Static

Default Re: Ok, Its desided, I'm Going to Get a Z...

Originally posted by DrCold
So i went to the dealer last night and checked out the z they had in the show room. It was a used one, and they just keep it there for show, i guess the new ones dont stay very long. Well, its a beautifull car, everything about it seems to attract me to it even more. So its desided then, i'm going to sell my truck, hopefully break even, then buy the car. Now it comes down to price. Im looking at a Performance Model with all options execpt splash guards. But thats just because i havent seen enough cars with splash guards on them yet. Does anyone have any pics i could compair against?

When i do the config. on nissanusa.com, i come up with ruffly 34k. Whats the best price i should shoot for at a dealer? When i bought my truck, the sticker said $29,990, but i drove off the lot with it for only 24k after all taxes, licensing, and 75k mile extended warrenty. What did you guys pay for your cars? I dont want to ask for to little, i understand they have to make money off this, and i dont want to insult them. For me, 30k would be the magic number, but if lower is possible, by all means i'll go for that. I have very little experiance with car dealers, so thats why im asking for a little help. This is a major purchase for me, and its going to stretch the limits of my budget, but damnit, i dont just want this car, i NEED IT! It all depends on if i can get my truck sold and break even. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

DrCold

P.S.
I blame this all on you guys, its your fault for making me want one of these cars. :P
Congrats on your decision. All I can say is that I saw cars with the splash guards and I thought they looked pretty cool. YOu should see some cars with them before u decide, because u may like them.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 AM
abz123

When you say it was used, do you mean it was previously titled or they used it as like a demo.

With a few exception, most people have been paying MSRP for the new ones.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:54 AM
mwaller

Good luck trying to ge a discount on the Z. supply and demand works against early buyers for the most part. Pay sticker or slightly under if possible. Don't get tricked into paying above sticker price... that's rediculous.
I like the look of splash guards. The rear ones don't look quite as well integrated, but they work. They actually seem to do a decent job keeping road muck off the sides of the car. Here's a link to a picture of my REDLINE performance model w/ splash guards....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2.jpg.orig.jpg

Mika
Old 12-04-2002, 10:55 AM
mwaller

maybe this will work???

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/fcfa54d2.jpg
Old 12-04-2002, 10:57 AM
OtownZ

Everyone is paying sticker. Don't think you are going to get the car for less. I'm getting an enthusiast model and sticker is like $28k and change-- with tax it is like $31.6k.

I am still considering ordering a base model. What colors do you like?
Old 12-04-2002, 11:09 AM
abz123

You can probably pay $8000 below MSRP on a Ford explorer. And $6000 below MSRP on something like a Trans Am.

Some guy said a dealer in Minnesota was taking $1000 over invoice on the Z up there. I sure a $1000 appearance protection and a $600 wax job was included.

Doesn't hurt to try.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:10 AM
DrCold

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. Sticker is fine if thats what i have to pay. Its just going to take me a bit longer to be ready to buy. Im hoping to place the order in late Jan or Feb. But again, it all depends on if i can sell my truck, or get a raise. The sticker isnt that high anyways.

The 'show' car they had was owned by someone in Montana, and the bank repo'd it. The dealer saw the car was for sale, and bought it. They do have it for sale with 900 miles on it. Its a Le Mans Enthusiast with splash guards, mats, and kick plates. They mostly use it to show off the looks of the car and for test drives. The dealer stressed that when the car is taken out for test drives it is NOT drivin hard. I think if it was SilverStone i would have bought it.

For color, im leaning towards the Silverstone, or chrome silver. My dakota is silver, and i like it, but i kinda want to go for something a little darker. I LOVE black, but its so hard to keep clean and such.

Sorry if i seem to be dragging this out, i know i should just go down there and order one. But money is a big problem right now, i dont make all that much and it adds to the fact im only 22. Most people dont give me a chance because of my age. I was very impressed that the dealer wants me to call and set up a time for me to test drive the car. I have to keep reminding my self not to get to hyped up, i still have an $18k debt in the parking lot as i type this....

Doc
Old 12-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Boomer

Default decicion

Doc, don't look for much off even a brand new Z. A used one like you described might cost you a few hundred off MSRP. Its a popular car and dealers are not discounting them very much or at all.

You could find your area dealers online and see what inventory they have or are expecting, but don't expect to buy under list unless dealers can't move them in your area.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:24 AM
DrCold

Hmm, the only reason im looking at the Performance Model is for the VDC. Is VDC really worth it? I mean, it sounds like a baddass idea, but whats the real world like. Now im not talkin about doing 90 miles an hour around some hair pin turns in the mountains. How does it work for the everyday driving. Everything from driving hard to "oh crap!" when something runs accross the road. It would be easier for me to go for an Enthusiast due to the price (could also drop the NAV system, which is something im thinking about). Arg, time to go buy a lotto ticket right?

-Doc

P.S.
I just wanted to add, you guys kick ***! Thanks for all the quick replys and advice.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:22 PM
mbeguy

Send me a email if you are serious, I have my base model chrome silver in the local paper for sale. It is VIN #1227, and gets detailed every 2 weeks, it has 6k miles on it, and I followed the break in procedure. I even have pictures of it coming off the boat. I love the car but I am moving and 3 cars is a bit much when moving/buying houses.

28K is what I am asking, was offered 27K already by individual and 25K by 2 different dealers.

Either way...congrats on the decision to get an awesome awesome car.

MBEGuy
Old 12-05-2002, 06:56 AM
DrCold

Originally posted by mbeguy
Send me a email if you are serious, I have my base model chrome silver in the local paper for sale. It is VIN #1227, and gets detailed every 2 weeks, it has 6k miles on it, and I followed the break in procedure. I even have pictures of it coming off the boat. I love the car but I am moving and 3 cars is a bit much when moving/buying houses.

28K is what I am asking, was offered 27K already by individual and 25K by 2 different dealers.

Either way...congrats on the decision to get an awesome awesome car.

MBEGuy
Its really tempting, but im really looking for an Enthusiast or Performance. I'd like to have the VDC system, but i dont know if i can swing the extra money, so i might have to settle for the Enth. I havent really heard any rants or raves about the VDC system, so i dont know if its actually worth going for the Performance model.

Anyways, thanks for the offer. I hope to put the order in sometime in Jan. Tryin to save up enough to make a sizable down payment. Maybe if im lucky i'll get it at the start of summer or somewhere around there.

-Doc
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Look around and you should be able to find a dealer that's not marking up from MSRP. I think that's about the best deal you can get on any Z right now, since they're so hot. I can't help on the VDC, since I don't actually have my car yet, but I know there are plenty of people out there who can help.

And if you're trying to save a little cash, drop the Nav system. It's a 2k option and you can always go aftermarket later on when you do have the cash.

Hope you get your Z, it'll be a blast!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:51 AM
banned

Hey, what truck did you currently have? Quite a deal you got on the truck.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:14 AM
DrCold

Originally posted by banned
Hey, what truck did you currently have? Quite a deal you got on the truck.
Its a 2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 Auto. I got every option but leather and heated mirrors (i dont like leather up here in the north, and the heated mirrors look like dumbo ears). The compitition is very ferce up here when it comes to trucks. I got mine at Tom Addis Dodge of Coeur d'Alene. Dave Smith Motors in Kellog has been known to be the nations largest truck dealer (in terms of how many trucks he moves). The main reason being he sells them for dirt cheap. He believes that he can make more money by selling more trucks at a lower price, then selling a few trucks at a higher price. I basically told the salesman at Tom Addis, i had the option to go to Dave Smith but i came to them, and its up to them to give me a good price. And they did. I'm very happy with everyone at Tom Addis, and if they sold Nissans i'd buy my z from them.

-Doc
Old 12-05-2002, 08:56 AM
TriX

Dr: It will be difficult to go below MSRP but possible.

As far as VDC is concerned. I read quite a few responses on this topic. There is a thread somewhere in the forum. It seemed as something helpful in adverse conditions IE rain snow. Otherwise you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

But I can't comment any further since I have not driven with this option.

Finally, I did hagle with the dealer for a bit to see if I can go below msrp only thing I got out of it were some free kick plates and mats. Hey $200 is still money I guess.

Who says there is no free launch?
Old 12-05-2002, 09:02 AM
DrCold

Hey, i'd be happy with some free mats and plates. Every little bit will help me get the car that much sooner. Im down to the hardest part, selling the truck and breaking even. I've actually been thinking about getting a second job so i can get the z sooner, but again, we'll see how everything plays out after x-mas.

-Doc
Old 12-05-2002, 09:39 AM
NissanJunkie

Good man , mucho respect, Nissan a company to be with for life they will take care of you
Old 12-05-2002, 09:50 AM
mickey

Hey, i'd be happy with some free mats and plates. Every little bit will help me get the car that much sooner. Im down to the hardest part, selling the truck and breaking even. I've actually been thinking about getting a second job so i can get the z sooner, but again, we'll see how everything plays out after x-mas.
-------
Patient!! if it is not the right time for the Z, don't rush it. Ever see that Dodge Neon commercial, where group of friends in two red Dodge pull up to the traffic light, and happily see their friend in a brand new BMW 330Ci, they asking the friend in the BMW to join the party later, but offer was turned down....the BMW owner has to work that odd job to keep up with you-know-what.

Quick Reply: Ok, Its desided, I'm Going to Get a Z...