Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 AM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch..... poor Z!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by vo7848
The boggling you experiencing when power shifting into 2nd is from the VDC controller. It is sensing loss of traction, so it turns on, disabling your accelerator. This is why the car gets sluggish and your RPM's drop. When it senses that your tires have regained traction, it allows you to accelerate again. In order to keep peeling out on a 2nd gear scratch, you gotta turn off the VDC button.
No dude, I know. The first thing I do everytime I get in the car is shut off the VDC, before I even put on my seat belt or anything. I never use VDC unless it's raining and I'm in no hurry. I hate the VDC and find it to be extremely hampering on my driving. Trust me, I know to shut it off. That's why it's so weird that I'm boggin in second. I don't get it! The only thing that I can think is that maybe it wheel hops for a second and then grips and kills the RPM's? Can that happen? I was figuring at that high of an RPM it would just start spinning and keep spinning until I let off. It's really weird.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
No dude, I know. The first thing I do everytime I get in the car is shut off the VDC, before I even put on my seat belt or anything. I never use VDC unless it's raining and I'm in no hurry. I hate the VDC and find it to be extremely hampering on my driving. Trust me, I know to shut it off. That's why it's so weird that I'm boggin in second. I don't get it! The only thing that I can think is that maybe it wheel hops for a second and then grips and kills the RPM's? Can that happen? I was figuring at that high of an RPM it would just start spinning and keep spinning until I let off. It's really weird.
That does sound wierd. I don't think the tires would be wheel hopping. Too much torque and power in the Z. I have never experienced that. Usually when I turn the VDC off and hit a 2nd gear scratch, my rear end fish tales and make a beautiful tire burning sound. I have hit 2nd gear scratchs many times and never had this problem in my Z. Now I can tell you from experience, that my daily driver does "wheel skipping". When I accelerate too fast the front wheels will skipp, causing the car to shake violently. Sounds like the damn transmission is going to fall out. This is caused by Clutch clatter. It is when the flywheel gets worn out uneven, either because of abuse or just plain out too much usage. In order to correct this the flywheel must be resurfaced.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by vo7848
That does sound wierd. I don't think the tires would be wheel hopping. Too much torque and power in the Z. I have never experienced that. Usually when I turn the VDC off and hit a 2nd gear scratch, my rear end fish tales and make a beautiful tire burning sound. I have hit 2nd gear scratchs many times and never had this problem in my Z. Now I can tell you from experience, that my daily driver does "wheel skipping". When I accelerate too fast the front wheels will skipp, causing the car to shake violently. Sounds like the damn transmission is going to fall out. This is caused by Clutch clatter. It is when the flywheel gets worn out uneven, either because of abuse or just plain out too much usage. In order to correct this the flywheel must be resurfaced.
Yeah, I had a dodge dakota a couple of cars ago and even with traction bars it had really bad wheel hop. I guess this isn't probably real wheel hop, but maybe just the feeling of the car suddenly dropping RPM's. I didn't have it before I installed the plenum spacer, it would either grip and go or spin but now for some reason it's saying slip (even though VDC is always off) and dropping RPM's. I'll have to go out tonight and try to do it so I can give a better description of it...I'll get back with ya. Thanks!
Fletch
Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Yeah, I had a dodge dakota a couple of cars ago and even with traction bars it had really bad wheel hop. I guess this isn't probably real wheel hop, but maybe just the feeling of the car suddenly dropping RPM's. I didn't have it before I installed the plenum spacer, it would either grip and go or spin but now for some reason it's saying slip (even though VDC is always off) and dropping RPM's. I'll have to go out tonight and try to do it so I can give a better description of it...I'll get back with ya. Thanks!
Fletch
Sounds like the VDC is malfunctioning. The "slip" light is part of your VDC. It should not come on when VDC is deactivated. Probably something for the dealer to look at.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
rolling

sound more like a "PROBLEM" than a "issue" to mee.. def want VDC OFF! (like you said it was) try fast feathering the clutch out as opposed to "dropping" it youll tear up yer tranny be gentile but steady... i can do doughnuts at 3k
Old 07-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Qbrozen

Definitely a problem, then. Even if the tires hook up, if you took 1st to redline, then you are hitting 2nd at high enough RPMs that you will experience no bogging at all (hell, is there ANY point below 1500 rpms in the Z that "bogs"?). It almost sounds to me like you're hitting 4th instead of 2nd. If you are hitting 2nd, then you got yerself a problem.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM
soon2bZ

Originally Posted by Qbrozen
+1

I had that happen to me a couple of times when I first got the car ... then I figured out what the heck was going on. Nowadays I usually drive with the VDC off unless the roads are wet.

By the way ... to the guy who started this thread ... 6K??!! What the heck are you thinking? I can lay tracks at 2500!

I'm used to a different kind of car. Only did it once.