Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Will Nissan ever recall or admit to their problems!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Bran_BranZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill tell you i just took my car into the dealer for the feathering and rear hatch not opening all the way yesterday. they replaced all four tires for free and adjusted my alignment and the tire roar is gone.(my car only has 9k on it by the way) i dont know how long its going to last but i love the car now that the tire roar is gone. i havent pushed the car yet to the limits(since the fix) but as of right now it doesnt handle all that different. if the tire roar comes back ive decided to sell the car. the way i look at it is if you want a car that handles well then you are going to have a tire wear problems bottem line. i can deal with that but i cant deal with the noise that comes with it sorry.

ive had a new tranny
ive had tire feathering
ive had window grease
ive had the rear hatch not open

Last edited by Bran_BranZ33; 07-15-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Kevin3

Back to the original comment about "will nissan ever admit their problems."...

I was out washing my car this morning when a guy that was also washing his car walked up to me asking me about my car. He made the comment about how nice it looked and asked me how long I've had it blah blah blah. Anyway, after I told him it was an '04 model, he asked if I have been having problems with the tires! He said he has seriously thought about buying a Z, but after so many people having these problems, he has pretty much talked himself out of it.

This is what angers me! As these problems become more and more known, if Nissan doesnt fix them, we are screwed if we ever want any resell value in our cars. Few people will be willing to pay good money for a car with such known problems!

Nissan already told me that they basically didn't want it as a trade in. Now it looks like if I want to sell it to someone, I will have to lie about not having any problems (which I dont want to do!)
Old 07-15-2005, 09:20 AM
elms350Z

[QUOTE=Jason]So what are you trying to accomplish here? You're insulting every single member of this board by saying their car sucks.

LoL, I thought that was funny. Go ahead man you're entitled to your opinion. I dunno why anyone would be offended, its not like you said a "mama joke" because I don't take lightly to those. You can say all you want about the Z because obviously your are not happy. I on the other hand am. 05 SB with 4k miles, maybe its too early to tell but no need to feel offended. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Vitamin Z

Originally Posted by Bran_BranZ33
ill tell you i just took my car into the dealer for the feathering and rear hatch not opening all the way yesterday. they replaced all four tires for free and adjusted my alignment and the tire roar is gone.
What dealership did you go to? My dealer refused to change my rear tires as only front tires are covered under the TSB.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
seraphimshift

good point, I keep asking about the 05 350's obviously there are few with enough miles to tell if any of the issues were corrected, or have others read differently?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted.

Last edited by tacomaboy; 07-15-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:21 AM
tacomaboy

Some people with 05s have had grinding and tranny replacements already.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
orion350z

After combing through this post.......wow........lots of nissan defense. I'm shocked. It sounds to me like the people with no problems want us to shut up. We're giving their perfect Z's a bad name. Well. Come and get me. I'm not hiding. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z, But I have been plagued with every problem imaginable. My car is on its 2nd tranny, 3rd set of rear axles, 2nd set of window regulators, 2nd set of leather seats, 5th set of front tires (only 2nd set on rear lol)........these problems have stacked up so high that I'm not bent out of shape about it anymore. I just laugh. The only bummer is that nissan has cut me off like a parent would to their college dropout kid. They refuse to replace any more tires (they did this 2 sets ago)......and they cleverly work their way around replacing my tranny again (which it desperately needs). One more and the lemon law knocks on their door....and they know it. Anywho, off my soapbox...........

All I ask is a call to arms from my Z brethren. Don't tell us unlucky Z owners to go away and shut up. Stand with the community until Nissan caves. I paid as much money and sacrificed just as much as you "lucky" Z owners. Do i not deserve to be just as happy with my Z as you are with yours?

God, I hope nissan gets as upset as some of you seem to be at us. Then they might fix my car.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM
tacomaboy

Wow. Thank you for that.

Here All you with good or bad Zs, just vote here. Even if you love your Z after its 2nd or 3rd tranny, this is a good start to ending the entire transmission repalcing debacle and ending family feuds like this: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/132444-poll-transmission-experience.html
Old 07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
seraphimshift

Originally Posted by orion350z
After combing through this post.......wow........lots of nissan defense. I'm shocked. It sounds to me like the people with no problems want us to shut up. We're giving their perfect Z's a bad name. Well. Come and get me. I'm not hiding. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z, But I have been plagued with every problem imaginable. My car is on its 2nd tranny, 3rd set of rear axles, 2nd set of window regulators, 2nd set of leather seats, 5th set of front tires (only 2nd set on rear lol)........these problems have stacked up so high that I'm not bent out of shape about it anymore. I just laugh. The only bummer is that nissan has cut me off like a parent would to their college dropout kid. They refuse to replace any more tires (they did this 2 sets ago)......and they cleverly work their way around replacing my tranny again (which it desperately needs). One more and the lemon law knocks on their door....and they know it. Anywho, off my soapbox...........

All I ask is a call to arms from my Z brethren. Don't tell us unlucky Z owners to go away and shut up. Stand with the community until Nissan caves. I paid as much money and sacrificed just as much as you "lucky" Z owners. Do i not deserve to be just as happy with my Z as you are with yours?

God, I hope nissan gets as upset as some of you seem to be at us. Then they might fix my car.
Whats the year/mileage??? - everyone who's posting should include this, problems or not, thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Mr_Q

I love my Z and yes it's had it's issues. But I came from Ford's which all gave me many more issues and TSBs. So thus, my Nissan experience has been rather pleasent!

Ever notice how many $50,000 Audi's are driving around with one of their tail lights out? Or the 3-Series with one head light out? Or RX8s with flooded motors?

My list of busted stuff (that has been fixed) on my 2003 350z:

-Driver's window motor (almost one yr to date after driving off lot)
-Adjusted gas popper lid
-A PROPER 4 wheel alignment to correct tire howl as well as a fresh set of new front tires (done at 18,000 miles. I am now running BFGs with 3k on them now)

That's all. I do expect my passenger window motor to go at some point. It's noticably more labored than my newer driver's side one. As for tranny, I have only RARELY gotten a grind when going from 1st to 2nd too fast and frankly I think it was me missing the shift and thorwin the syncros for a run.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM
LBCz33

It sucks that some are having problems with their Z's... like someone said above, not all cars are perfect. But all cars have issues...you can't name a car that hasn't had it's share of issues (Honda and it's transmissions, Toyota and the sludge in the motors, Ford, etc..)... I think the Z's resale value supports that idea that while some cars have problems...most don't... If you got a bad build, sorry, but it's not reflective of the majority...

My 05 if fairly new but running great. My friend's 35th has been running great for a while with his 60+ mile commute each day, my other friend has an 03 with a few quirks that were fixed and the car is fine and has been...

Just saying...
Old 07-16-2005, 01:53 AM
maximapowr

Luckily my Z has no problems currently, but I do have a 1993 Nissan Maxima with 136,000 miles and have fixed the following:

5 new window regulators (and its a four door car)
6 CV axle replacements because the boots keep on breaking
2 power antennas because they always get stuck
2 alternators
1 water pump
1 set of rear sway bar links which snapped right in two
1 automatic shifter cable

I guess take it for what its worth, but this car has the same window regulator and cv axle problems that some of the z have
Old 07-16-2005, 02:02 AM
zownz

Be real guys, everyone that has done what they were asked by the dealership and followed the warranty rules/procedures has had their tranny replaced or the tires.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Mr_Q

Yeah Nissan needs to source their window regulators from someone else!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Jimmybevis

Default Nissan is not all bad

While Nissan made the original errors with the tires feathering, I believe your problem lies with your dealer, not Nissan.

I am on my third set of tires (and second drivers side window motor) and my dealer has never hesitated in replacing these parts. In one case they didnt even look at the tires, but just ordered a new set.

I have a car that has 14,000 miles on it but with tires of 4,000. I dont think thats a bad deal. Just choose a better dealer.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:26 AM
seraphimshift

Originally Posted by Jimmybevis
While Nissan made the original errors with the tires feathering, I believe your problem lies with your dealer, not Nissan.

I am on my third set of tires (and second drivers side window motor) and my dealer has never hesitated in replacing these parts. In one case they didnt even look at the tires, but just ordered a new set.

I have a car that has 14,000 miles on it but with tires of 4,000. I dont think thats a bad deal. Just choose a better dealer.
Is it only when a dealer does this type of work that the VIN gets a work history tacked on? I would imagine for anyone looking to buy a used Z (10-25k miles) this could be a good indicator of a problematic Z, no?

I am more tempted to buy an 04.5 w/ around 20k miles because I'm hoping that at least some of the problems would have already been seen and would be logged in the vehicle history... if any exist with the car at all
Old 07-16-2005, 06:37 AM
boma

I've never had a tranny problem, but I found out that the previous owner replaced the transmission! (probably a good thing).

I've have some feathering, window motor failure (which I paid to have fixed), window grease streaks, crappy base radio that skips with a new cd, axle ticking, etc. etc.

I don't think I'm going to buy another Nissan. But I will keep the Z.

I don't see many S2000 owners complaining about tire feathering. Yes sports cars should wear out their tires faster than a commuter car, but not this quick.

This is a production car desgined for the masses; not some race car. Don't put up with it.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:20 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by seraphimshift
Is it only when a dealer does this type of work that the VIN gets a work history tacked on? I would imagine for anyone looking to buy a used Z (10-25k miles) this could be a good indicator of a problematic Z, no?

I am more tempted to buy an 04.5 w/ around 20k miles because I'm hoping that at least some of the problems would have already been seen and would be logged in the vehicle history... if any exist with the car at all

BINGO. The Z's resale value is about to depreciate drastically when this news hits the fan. And no, transmissions do not seem to appear on a carfax report. I did see a dealer service on mine at 1200 miles, but that wasnt for transmission or for tires... in fact, Im not sure what that was for...

but now adays people, when buying used Zs, are asking about the tires, and its a fair concern. But what happens when they ask about the transmissions?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:10 AM
seraphimshift

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
BINGO. The Z's resale value is about to depreciate drastically when this news hits the fan. And no, transmissions do not seem to appear on a carfax report. I did see a dealer service on mine at 1200 miles, but that wasnt for transmission or for tires... in fact, Im not sure what that was for...

but now adays people, when buying used Zs, are asking about the tires, and its a fair concern. But what happens when they ask about the transmissions?
Well, my thought process is this

if I find a used Z 03/04 regardless of the mileage; I can have the car checked/corrected for alignment problems - probably not a perm fix but none the less.

I can run a VIN check to see what HAS been done to the car, warranty work etc.

I can have my mechanic or another Nissan dealer check for the newer Trans (I forget the model, *08 something?) The newer Trans seem to be less problematic?

Clutch problems, if they should arise - I'd upgrade to a Nismo (that wouldn't void my Nissan warranty would it?)

If alignment problems persist, change the wheel/tire combo (as others have done) and see if that helps

window grease - don't care id fix that my self

window motors - again, not a huge deal

Axel clicks - have not read too much bout that, so I'm unsure at this point

- Option #2 wait to see how the 05 plays out, and try to pick one up later this year (I'm thinking if I wait until winter, I could get one on the cheap)

- Option #3 if the problems are haunting me no matter what, take one on the chin and go buy an s2000, STI, or my dream car Supra TT!

Quick Reply: Will Nissan ever recall or admit to their problems!?