Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

August Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 08:02 AM
JamieH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&D Delivery Date

I don't get the delivery date either. My Dad (who lives 20 minutes from C&D Headquarters in Ann Arbor gets his C&D around the 2nd week of the month. In fact he just got his July issue 2 weeks ago.

I find it very strange that C&D subscribers get their magazines on such random days. Two weeks apart? That seems wrong. My dad says he has *NEVER* gotten his C&D two months ahead (meaning August issue in June) and he has subscribed to the magazine for over 25 years.

I'm not saying the mag isn't authentic. JManZ says it is, and I am inclined to trust him. But I really do wonder how this guy got the magazine so much earlier than any other subscriber.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:04 AM
king

You guys forgot to blame one more thing

14.1 @ 101 !!! it should be faster than 101 !
Old 06-26-2002, 08:05 AM
kroams

Remember we have pictures of a blue track 350Z taken at the C&D parking lot (so we know they had a track model in their grasps). Also its obviously a track model shown on the cover (Ray's wheels). I think its unlikely Nissan would have given them one car to test drive and another to take pictures of. That would be too misleading while reading the article. I am sure the tests were done with the track model which has LSD.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:06 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by BrianZ

We'll have to see what the article says. Maybe the cover hype doesn't match the model tested in the article.
It wouldn't be the first time people got the wrong idea from a "pre-production" mag write-up. For all we know, Nissan could be monitoring our response to this kind of stimuli. Hey, I'm off to get some cheese. See you tomorrow!
BrianZ

Default Re: C&D Delivery Date

Originally posted by JamieH
I don't get the delivery date either. My Dad (who lives 20 minutes from C&D Headquarters in Ann Arbor gets his C&D around the 2nd week of the month. In fact he just got his July issue 2 weeks ago.

I find it very strange that C&D subscribers get their magazines on such random days. Two weeks apart? That seems wrong. My dad says he has *NEVER* gotten his C&D two months ahead (meaning August issue in June) and he has subscribed to the magazine for over 25 years.

I'm not saying the mag isn't authentic. JManZ says it is, and I am inclined to trust him. But I really do wonder how this guy got the magazine so much earlier than any other subscriber.
Yeah, I just got mine (50th anniversary Corvette Issue) 2 or 3 weeks ago also.

I think it would be great if we could get a scan of the whole article under the "In The Press" forum.
mattc

Default Let's put things in perspective...

Want to know the difference between 5.4 and 5.2 or 5.3?

Try this:

Snap your fingers.

Wow. What a difference.

Motor Trend TV did a special where they compared an M3, a Z06, and a Boxster S. The results were .1 second faster here, .01g better there, and so on, and what was the final conclusion?

Drum roll please:

If you don't have high-end timing devices, you won't be able to tell the difference!

Welcome to reality people. Performance and price are still very closely tied together. Name 1 other car that brings together style, performance, value, heritage, and enjoyment direct from the factory for a better price?

If .2 for 0-60 and .02g are deal-breakers for you, I feel sorry for you. Worse, I feel bad for all those out there who would die for your pre-order spot (but were too late) while all you do is whine and complain that it is not good enough.

$50K performance for under $30K. I can't wait.

-MattC
350Z Touring, 6MT, Chrome Silver
Old 06-26-2002, 08:11 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

98 posts and over 3200 views of this thread. Doesn't everyone know American Idol is on tonight?

I'm waiting for Motor Trend. Wake me up when it gets here.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default what transmission was the test car??

I haven't read the article yet, but does anyone know if this 0-60 stats is with an AUTO tranny or 6spd Manual??

So far with all the Blue Daytona pics, they are with auto tranny if I'm not mistaken. Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:13 AM
MikeyDNY

Originally posted by 350zpower
0-60 is decent, and handling sounds workable.
All in all a good deal ..

but the 1/4 mile times of 14.1 and the weight of > 3300lbs is kinda disappointing.

I dont want to jump to any conclusions, but if this is true then the Z while still a great deal isnt necessarily as great as some of the hype surrounding it would have you to believe.

The s2000 that they want to compete against outperforms it and has the added bonus of being a roadster/convertible for nearly the same price. (but i dont wanna start a flame war about torque, etc..)

Read this C&D preview of the 2000 s2000 . . . pages 4 and 5 are of the most interest . . .

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...&class=20:eek:
Old 06-26-2002, 08:13 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I'm happy for all of you that are satisfied with these results. Really, I am, although I am not. I can't believe I waited 6 months to find out that the Z, a "sports car", runs neck and neck with a stock, bi-turbo, AWD, 250HP/258TRQ Audi S4 sedan that weighs damn near 3600 lbs.

.88Gs... WOOPEE!!! What's the slalom speed? 60 MPH?

BTW, please don't give me the "under $27,000" ********. I'm paying $35K.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:14 AM
JamieH

Default Manual

There is absolutely no way C&D would test the automatic unless that was all Nissan would give them. I would be ***SHOCKED** if those numbers were from the auto.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:17 AM
c350z

Default The Information I received

When I put my deposit down I was given these figures:

0-60 under 6.0 sec
1/4 mile 14.0sec
curb weight est. 3150 lbs
all for less then $30k without tax

The numbers that have been given are exactly what nissan said. That is the cold hard truth, if you don't like it buy something else, how about a used honda civic with $20k of fast and furious mods
Old 06-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Todd

Default Re: what transmission was the test car??

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I haven't read the article yet, but does anyone know if this 0-60 stats is with an AUTO tranny or 6spd Manual??

So far with all the Blue Daytona pics, they are with auto tranny if I'm not mistaken. Just a thought.
It's the track model, with the 6-speed.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:18 AM
JamieH

BTW, please don't give me the "under $27,000" ********. I'm paying $35K.
As far as I can tell, there was never any indication that the track model would significantly outperform the lower models. Potentially the track model won't be as good of a value as some of the less expensive models.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:19 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Just spent a large amount of time reading all the posts in this thread...Funny thing is..none of it will matter as I pull away from the dealer in my new Z
Old 06-26-2002, 08:27 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by AudioPat
Just spent a large amount of time reading all the posts in this thread...Funny thing is..none of it will matter as I pull away from the dealer in my new Z
Pat:

Well, yeah. There is always that!

Old 06-26-2002, 08:31 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Seattle person

Originally posted by Simplycute
Thank you!
And what is up with all these people from the Midwest, Mideast, Southern and Northern states? Geez!!!
Simplycute, when did you order and who did you order from? What color interior did you go for? Where in seattle do you live? There seems to be more and more of us seattle types, but most have ordered very recently...how did you find out about the preorders? Thanks for all your answers in advance...BTW the mariners are kicking butt tonight(finally) Last night was sad indeed. Been enjoying the nice weather?
Old 06-26-2002, 08:39 AM
NissaNZ

2000Rdstr can you please scan the article so Jmanz can put it up on the forums for the rest of us, if you have time please I'm dying to get the small details.

BTW I'm happy with the numbers (not blown away) but happy, as soon as I graduate I'm puttin a down payment on one.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:48 AM
SeedyRom

Ya know, I was going to comment extensively on this but I've decided it would be a waste. The way I am, I'll still probably write a lot...I sure as hell wont have the "Email Notification" on though! I can't believe how quickly the majority of you jump ship when things are 98% of what you were told they'd be. Now, I have to preface that by saying that A) this is the FIRST test of many B) That car was not a production car and C) Testers/conditions always vary.

Everyone keeps saying it, but no one seems to grasp it hard enough to stop posting, say "Ok, I'll wait a little longer until more info comes out" and chill out. The numbers given by Nissan were conservative and they've MORE than exceeded them just in this one test (which I know can have a bit of time shaved off). But it's the "advanced knowledge" and severe hype that have gotten you all twisted into expecting the second coming. This is the downside of the process. It's going to be hell for me for the next month until things settle more.

To be clear again, this is ONE magazine (and some of the info is repeated from what they were told as opposed to all raw testing). For those hard up on the 14.0 of other cars...remember that that was the lowest number any magazine got and it's known as "the" number to most because of it. You'll see a number less than a 14.1...trust me. But again, it shouldn't matter for a tenth.

Relax, don't sell your car before you have it
Old 06-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And a good post to close this thread on. I don't see how anyone could contribute much more to what has been said already.

Quick Reply: August Car & Driver